Shotgun Certificate - Telephone Interview

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finners

Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place. 

I had a call today from the FD saying that they want to do a telephone interview as a part of my Shotgun Certificate renewal. So apparently I am going to have a 10 minute "interview" at 12:30 tomorrow.

Never had one not sure what to expect, can anyone throw any light on this, ie if you've had one or know about this, what can I expect? 

Never heard of one so can't help.

good trick checking security of cabinet etc over the phone.

Never heard of one so can't help.

good trick checking security of cabinet etc over the phone.

I had mine last night month basically went through the form over the phone, asked for serial numbers, asked a few questions etc.............

Then said "i'll now pass this to the community policing team who will arrange to contact you to inspect security" FFS!

SO the following saturday evening door bell goes 2 coppers in uniform (who had never done a check before) are at my front door unannounced! 

They then proceeded to go through exactly the same stuff in person except they said they can't touch the guns!

Enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I do despair sometimes. When are the Police going to actually read the F'ing Act! It's not their responsibility to keep the guns safe, it's mine.  

New one on me. No point in tel con then.

I am struggling to understand what they are going to get from talking to me that they don't already have/know. 

The usual reason for a face to face meeting is a sensible one to see you in your home and family background.  They can assess your demeanour, attitude etc as part of the process to ensure that you are still considered safe to hold firearms or shotguns or both.  They also inspect security and in the case of firearms might check the amount that you are holding to ensure that you are not exceeding your authorised level.  

No need to panic, just be normal, pleasant and co-operative, convince them of your regard to safety when handling guns and if the wife might be home make sure that she doesn't know where the keys to your gun safe are as they sometimes ask where they are kept and of course she should not know unless she is a certificate holder herself.

The usual reason for a face to face meeting is a sensible one to see you in your home and family background.  They can assess your demeanour, attitude etc as part of the process to ensure that you are still considered safe to hold firearms or shotguns or both.  They also inspect security and in the case of firearms might check the amount that you are holding to ensure that you are not exceeding your authorised level.  

No need to panic, just be normal, pleasant and co-operative, convince them of your regard to safety when handling guns and if the wife might be home make sure that she doesn't know where the keys to your gun safe are as they sometimes ask where they are kept and of course she should not know unless she is a certificate holder herself.

Thanks all true BUT I think you missed my point -  it's a telephone interview not a face to face. Also, I'm not panicking, I am just struggling to understand the point of a telephone call as a part of the renewal process. Unless they ask "has anything changed since you wrote your application?" and "has anything changed since the FAO visited you last?" As for the keys, my wife genuinely does not know where the keys are as that would be illegal (she is not a cert holder) 

Thanks all true BUT I think you missed my point -  it's a telephone interview not a face to face. Also, I'm not panicking, I am just struggling to understand the point of a telephone call as a part of the renewal process. Unless they ask "has anything changed since you wrote your application?" and "has anything changed since the FAO visited you last?" As for the keys, my wife genuinely does not know where the keys are as that would be illegal (she is not a cert holder) 
The FEO (Firearms Enquiry Officer) is covering what he needs to cover over the phone - the bobbies shouldn't really be repeating that but concentrating on the security and you.  Maybe they were just using the paperwork to talk to you making you think it was a duplicated process.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a matter of interest, where do people keep the keys to their gun cabinet? Should you hide them, or keep then on your person, in which case your wife will know where they are!

Latest posts

Back