Shotgun Certificate - Telephone Interview

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you will find that you cannot get either a Shotgun Certificate or a Firearms Certificate unless the police or a civilian FEO first check that you have a secure gun cabinet in which to keep it.

So perhaps they trust that you still use it when dealing with renewals as they now have the threat to come at any time on reasonable grounds to inspect your guns and security or ammo if relating to a firearm as distinct from shotgun ammo.
OK time to stop patronising now. It's getting a bit annoying. 

Read the Act and tell me where it says a Cabinet of any kind is required for Shotguns. 

Well I've got both so I suppose the firearms take precedence and I have to have a cabinet for those so plod is obviously happy with me.

Happy for you if you can get away with less just for a shotgun but I don't think I would!

As you said its your responsibility

I think the law is they must be secured a cabinet us widely accepted by all to be best practice however a secure gun room would suffice.

You try and find a secure place in the grotto,  kids in and out all day .

Finally found a secure place  its   ................................

If you believe,  then you would know   ;)

See.. it has it's perks  

:santa: x

I think the law is they must be secured a cabinet us widely accepted by all to be best practice however a secure gun room would suffice.
Nope, the law say's it's the certificate holders responsibility to prevent unauthorised access. It [the law] does not prescribe how that should be done. However, as you say the Home Office guidelines [not the law] have been widely adopted, and they do (sensibly) recommend gun cabinets, fixed in a particular way etc.

To be clear, I have a cabinet bolted to an outside wall etc and I welcome Police inspection at any reasonable time. But none of these are an actual legal requirement as far as I know. 

Anyhoo........ we stray off topic. 

My OP was about what to expect from a Telephone interview and now I know :good:  

Well I've got both so I suppose the firearms take precedence and I have to have a cabinet for those so plod is obviously happy with me.

Happy for you if you can get away with less just for a shotgun but I don't think I would!

As you said its your responsibility
I give up...............You Sir take the art of being obtuse to a new level. 

Well you can be as pedantic as you like but it doesn't work in practice as they are going to go to further extremes now.

Just been told that Devon & Cornwall Police will ask you to provide a medical report at your own expense on the first grant if they think that one is justified based on your application form or whatever intelligence that they have about you.  Don't provide it and you won't get a certificate - simple!  They will evidently pay for subsequent medical reports if required at renewal times.

So its not the law but what are you going to do about it - if you want your certificate you comply or be prepared to go to High Court to fight your corner - I hope that you have deep pockets cos until someone wins a test case against them that's the way its going to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never be afraid of going to the High Courts when you are right..........just saying..!!

Well you can be as pedantic as you like but it doesn't work in practice as they are going to go to further extremes now.

Just been told that Devon & Cornwall Police will ask you to provide a medical report at your own expense on the first grant if they think that one is justified based on your application form or whatever intelligence that they have about you.  Don't provide it and you won't get a certificate - simple!  They will evidently pay for subsequent medical reports if required at renewal times.

So its not the law but what are you going to do about it - if you want your certificate you comply or be prepared to go to High Court to fight your corner - I hope that you have deep pockets cos until someone wins a test case against them that's the way its going to be.
And yet another level, do you actually read what people say? 

Never be afraid of going to the High Courts when you are right..........just saying..!!
You can't beat the establishment, especially with the establishment! They will just change the law, best remember the old Yorkshire saying "keep your mouth shut and dip your bread in!" Works for me.

You can't beat the establishment, especially with the establishment! They will just change the law, best remember the old Yorkshire saying "keep your mouth shut and dip your bread in!" Works for me.
OK .....I am sure you are right :wink:

No ....my husband reckons that I am a 10ft lizard with several heads...for some reason he thinks i am an alien :wink:
I'm thinking that you need to be checking the old man's medication

on the other topic - it is beyond my understanding the total sh*t that you people acquiesce to.  As I've mentioned before, you allow the lowest and seemingly least informed level make decisions you would have to resort to the courts to contest?  And they decided whether or not you're competent?

staggering

Gin Charlie.........Gin....... Check

....and it is all good...I checked. :wink:

I think you will find that you cannot get either a Shotgun Certificate or a Firearms Certificate unless the police or a civilian FEO first check that you have a secure gun cabinet in which to keep it.

So perhaps they trust that you still use it when dealing with renewals as they now have the threat to come at any time on reasonable grounds to inspect your guns and security or ammo if relating to a firearm as distinct from shotgun ammo.
I don't know about Firearms but you may have a Shotgun Certificate without having a gun cabinet. It's like having a driving licence without owning  a car. I got my certificate without having a cabinet. 

Received my spangly new Certificate in the post today, get this.................. it's signed and dated 14th November, ie the same day as my "interview" What are the chances eh? 

I don't know about Firearms but you may have a Shotgun Certificate without having a gun cabinet. It's like having a driving licence without owning  a car. I got my certificate without having a cabinet. 
Its strange just over the boarder in Norfolk if you are going to own a shotgun they insist you have a cabinet . Does not seem to be a hard and fast rule across the country.

You would think that all forces read from the same manual.

Its strange just over the boarder in Norfolk if you are going to own a shotgun they insist you have a cabinet . Does not seem to be a hard and fast rule across the country.

The law is set. Local police forces may try to say differently, and it may not be worth fighting them, but that doesn't change the law. 

They try in many areas however there is no law requiring a cabinet... Infact the guidance is quite clear that there are alternatives to meet the safe keeping conditio. Of course the safe keeping condition can only if you have a shotgun, again owning a shotgun is not a requirement of having a certificate....

Latest posts

Back