Sporting shoots. Where - and how did it go?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did the same two shoots. AGL was a great course which I ruined by worrying about a high bar in the cage on driven. I kept slowing the gun and missing for fear of tapping the gun on it. All my problem, but that was 3 away and took me out of the money. 

EJC was a good course. I sussed the rabbit needed shooting early, but still let one get to the long grass and missed it. Was fairly pleased with how it was going but again, dropped a stupid three dropping crossers on last stand 12. Just misread it until the last one. Sigh..

Last edited by a moderator:
Really enjoyed EJC today. Head wasn't in the right place at the start but managed to get mentally sorted for the second half but the damage was done. 

Finished on 81 which I felt was poor and should have had at least 5 more early on. 

Turns out I was 4th in B and 1 clay away from money. 

It's a shame you can't shoot their registered shoot on weekends. I guess it just doesn't work financially for them. 

Lovely course at Weston, good mix of everything. Three silly misses early on, then a solid middle, with two lost on teal stand, not my favourite grr.. as ever, just out of the money I suspect.. although actually 93 is a Weston wood pb for me at least. And my two kids doing scoring for the first time didn't cause any huge incidents, so that's good.. ?

Reactions: Zea
Longridge, our county shoot, as a C class shot I got found well and truly out as bled targets at an alarming rate from first stand to last, managed to convince myself nothing looked too difficult only to shoot most (nearly all) stands as if they were impossible, no nothing was impossible it's just I had neither the skills nor more worryingly the nous to work through problems. Have some solace that guns far better than I were also finding it "tough", left at 1 and Matt Turk with an 87 was leading, yes 87! I did manage to card my age and it's, in the words of a few "a dropper then?" Not what I'd liked, going to stop this shooting lark and have a break, see some of you at Coleys Wednesday and / or EJC Thursday ?

Lovely course at Weston, good mix of everything. Three silly misses early on, then a solid middle, with two lost on teal stand, not my favourite grr.. as ever, just out of the money I suspect.. although actually 93 is a Weston wood pb for me at least. And my two kids doing scoring for the first time didn't cause any huge incidents, so that's good.. ?
a good dad would take over do they could shoot as well ??

Longridge, our county shoot, as a C class shot I got found well and truly out as bled targets at an alarming rate from first stand to last, managed to convince myself nothing looked too difficult only to shoot most (nearly all) stands as if they were impossible, no nothing was impossible it's just I had neither the skills nor more worryingly the nous to work through problems. Have some solace that guns far better than I were also finding it "tough", left at 1 and Matt Turk with an 87 was leading, yes 87! I did manage to card my age and it's, in the words of a few "a dropper then?" Not what I'd liked, going to stop this shooting lark and have a break, see some of you at Coleys Wednesday and / or EJC Thursday

a good dad would take over do they could shoot as well
Carded your age? 70 in C class is not that bad surely, especially at a county championship. :wink:

Well Westonwood shoot was a good one but my ejector shattered four stands in and that was a pain as I had to have Tony remove the cartridge with a penknife every time.  This did not help me get into a rhythm and my concentration just went.  Poor outcome 70/100.   Travelled on to Horne and wasn't going to shoot but thought what the hell.  Won B class 82/100 and the winnings can be used for a new ejector.  Tony had to use my midget gun towards the end of the shoot because his gun developed a fault - tiny metal bar (something to do with safety catch mechanism) keeps moving out of place and wouldn't let him fire the second barrel.  Didn't do much for his shooting.

Reactions: Zea
At least two stands straighted then???

Longridge, our county shoot, as a C class shot I got found well and truly out as bled targets at an alarming rate from first stand to last, managed to convince myself nothing looked too difficult only to shoot most (nearly all) stands as if they were impossible, no nothing was impossible it's just I had neither the skills nor more worryingly the nous to work through problems. Have some solace that guns far better than I were also finding it "tough", left at 1 and Matt Turk with an 87 was leading, yes 87! I did manage to card my age and it's, in the words of a few "a dropper then?" Not what I'd liked, going to stop this shooting lark and have a break, see some of you at Coleys Wednesday and / or EJC Thursday ?

a good dad would take over do they could shoot as well ??
87 was still top score when I left at 14:30. Managed 63 in C class which amazingly was joint second in C but they'd added it up as 62, I was birds only anyway so whatever.  

Ive been to longridge a few times now but today was by far the toughest and there wasn't even any rabbits. Too tough in my opinion. 

Shot Horne, arrived later than I usually do and missed the big queue that there always seems to be on Stand 12.  Finished on 70.  Felt I was a bit sloppy dropping ones and two's here and there that I shouldn't have.  Hit two of the big crossers on Stand 10, which pleased me, but couldn't get on the second bird on Stand 12.  Think it was further out than I was allowing for.

Shot Horne, arrived later than I usually do and missed the big queue that there always seems to be on Stand 12.  Finished on 70.  Felt I was a bit sloppy dropping ones and two's here and there that I shouldn't have.  Hit two of the big crossers on Stand 10, which pleased me, but couldn't get on the second bird on Stand 12.  Think it was further out than I was allowing for.
Stand 12 was an odd thing anyway and it was easily missed if taken at the wrong time - it was quite a distance as well.  Was stand 10 (if walking up the hill) to the right in the corner of the last section of the shoot?  If it was I managed to hit that first bird but in honest it was always a bit of "ooh I hope I get this".

I shot the Beretta Worlds at Holywell Estate on Saturday and it was dry this year thank god. Lovely venue and it was a very technical course looking at the scores. Very few card filler targets as the easier stuff was always part of a simo pair. I struggled all the way around and just lacked confidence after a poor start. I did not manage to straight any of the 16 stands finishing on very poor 74. Was happy with 7’s on stands 11 & 12 as lots seemed to be struggling on that. Everything ran smoothly with a bit of a bottleneck moving onto the 2nd half of the course stand 9 onwards but that soon stretched out. I can honestly only recall 2 no birds on the entire round of 120 birds x 6 in our squad.

I thought HG up to Saturday of 111 was immense around that course seeing how few got into 3 digits (24 from over 700 shooters) but Richard Bunnings 115 yesterday is just insane. I would have loved to watch that score being shot.

Hoping to shoot Churchills again this Thursday and Owls Lodge on Saturday.

87 was still top score when I left at 14:30. Managed 63 in C class which amazingly was joint second in C but they'd added it up as 62, I was birds only anyway so whatever.  

Ive been to longridge a few times now but today was by far the toughest and there wasn't even any rabbits. Too tough in my opinion. 
Your not alone in the "too tough" opinion as many made that comment to Ground staff, in the end Mark Stephenson 95 for high gun and a few other AA superstars 90+ awesome to be fair, awesome 

Can never be too tough, if you can't hit the targets then try giving them the correct lead... or take some lessons and learn.., you don't improve by shooting easy targets

I shot the Beretta Worlds at Holywell Estate on Saturday and it was dry this year thank god. Lovely venue and it was a very technical course looking at the scores. Very few card filler targets as the easier stuff was always part of a simo pair. I struggled all the way around and just lacked confidence after a poor start. I did not manage to straight any of the 16 stands finishing on very poor 74. Was happy with 7’s on stands 11 & 12 as lots seemed to be struggling on that. Everything ran smoothly with a bit of a bottleneck moving onto the 2nd half of the course stand 9 onwards but that soon stretched out. I can honestly only recall 2 no birds on the entire round of 120 birds x 6 in our squad.

I thought HG up to Saturday of 111 was immense around that course seeing how few got into 3 digits (24 from over 700 shooters) but Richard Bunnings 115 yesterday is just insane. I would have loved to watch that score being shot.

Hoping to shoot Churchills again this Thursday and Owls Lodge on Saturday.
I'm always amazed at how even very hard shoots seem to produce one or even two insane scores.  :cool: :) There's some fantastic talent out there. 

Can never be too tough, if you can't hit the targets then try giving them the correct lead... or take some lessons and learn.., you don't improve by shooting easy targets
That may be true but there are some shoots that seem to offer flattering scores, particularly for B & C class, and these shoots are attracting big entries. If there's more demand for 'softer' courses, you can't blame the grounds for setting targets that don't beat up the ordinary competitors too much.

Really ? I bet I can set up a 100 birder with everything inside 60 yards that nobody will hit 60+  :rolleyes:

I also think differently regarding your other point, in fact most people will improve noticeably once they are able to hit easy targets. Then the medium ones........the hard ones follow on gradually. Nine times out of ten the winners are those who hit all the easy ones. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back