The shotgun factor.. the final shoot off ;)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonSkeet2

Hi All, I have been looking to switch back to an OU from an auto and tried god knows how many and have basically gotten down to the final couple of contenders. As per a previous thread I was considering a Ceasar Guerini but after research really have no confidence in the reliability to take the punishment of 15k shells a year or more without breakdowns. So the final list is narrowed down as follows: 1, Kriegoff K80 Pro-Rib Sporter 32"2, Blaser F3 Pro Rib Sporter 32"There would have been a 3 which is Kola Arms but virtually impossible to get in the UK. As yet I haven't had the chance to try the Blaser but have read great things and will need to try one a few times back to back to compare.  The Kriegoff I have been fortunate to try on a few occasions in both 30" and 32" and I know I will be able to get fitted companion tubes in .410, 20 and 28ga for shooting NSSA skeet. This isn't going to be a quick decision but I want to get what I want, wood, engraving etc.  I know it makes sod all difference to how it shoots but the winner will be for life but also a significant investment. Any advice on either gun welcomed :)  Cheers, Jon.

Obviously I'm going to be biased but I'd go K80 all day. They will take as much punishment as you want and the service you will get from Alan and Erwin is second to none. I usually send my gun to them on a Monday and it is back with me by Thursday latest! You can get the wood, metalwork, bits and bobs all exactly as you want and it will look first class. It will be a big change (sporting wise) from an auto and you will struggle if you don't learn to adapt your technique to the gun as they do need to be shot a certain way but put the hard work in and it's a gun for life. Mine has had between 8 and 12k shells a year through it for about 8-9 years now I recon and still shoots as good as the day I bought it.

seems to me you have already decided. Go with it! Don't look back and wonder ... wot if...

Too bad that you did not try a DT10L from Beretta! Mario from Beretta is at ALL major shoots in Europe and has maintained mine including rust removal for FREE every year since 2004! The gun patterns well with the Optima Bore Chokes. The vewr models have much nicer wood compared to the originals! The Lone Canadian,Henry/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif

hi Jon,   I've had Blasers for 4/5 years now, and although I did sell a couple back in the summer that was only to finance my new Perazzi, I still have an F3 Sporter with grd 6 wood,it's 30" and I had the barrels ported, Ian my son been shootin it up until August when he got his Guerini and he loved it too, I would never sell it as I think they are a superbly engineered,well balanced,superb triggers & brilliant handling with a 10 year warranty, I honestly don't think you could ever shoot a Blaser out, they're made in Germany very close to where Krieghoff's are made, between us we've put over 7000 shells through it and it's never let us down. But what about a Perazzi Jon -- have you considered one ? there are many superb guns for sale on Gun Trader at the minute new & used. Nige

I'm buying a new F3 on Thursday, trading the DT10 in. I have found the recoil level of Blaser's to be less than any other O/U and I like the way they handle. I used to have a Mk1 Blaser and have shot a mate's new F3 and the later version is a much better competition gun than the earlier version.10 years warranty excellent triggers and you can change the way the gun handles very easily. My DT10 is not really a bad gun but I just cannot get on with it, and the recoil does get to me.I must agree with Ed's comment about Alan Rhone it's a shame he lost the Blaser franchise as he does give excellent service.

I've shoot both of these guns from time to time when out with clients and I have to say that I would really struggle with this decision my self. Both guns are awesome to shoot and very well made but personally if you really push me for a personal choice I would have to go for the Blaser F3 Pro. Purely because it looks better to me, that's all./wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gifGet out there and try and shoot at least 100 clays with each gun and then make your decision. There's plenty of places out there that will let you shoot a second hand gun for the day.

I think you're considering good guns. I've owned a Krieghoff....when I was new to shooting. Far better gun than I was a shooter. Very soft shooting gun.  I own a Perazzi which had been the best gun I've shot.  Mine had 34 barrels and various chokes.  I traded those barrels for 32, choked 3/4 and full.  Nobody has ever accused me of being George Digweed, so that gun just sits till I sort out the choking or my shooting./wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif I now shoot a Blaser F3 which I bought a few years back.  I had some firing pin issues which were kind of annoying as I sent it to them 3 times.  I shoot left handed and went the full left hand route on my Blaser, top lever and all.  I bought mine with a beavertail forearm out of personal preferance.  May have outsmarted myself as it's a bit chunky. Waaaaay different than my Perazzi.For whatever reason, I've shot that Blaser pretty well.  Other than the early firing pin issues, it's bulletproof. Nicely balanced (I've never messed with the balancing feature), points well and seems to be of high quality.

I am now very keen to try a K80 again. I find myself really having to control my barrel swing these days so a heavier toy could be good. The guy I sold my K80 to says I can borrow it for a try out. Hopefully I hate it as this will save me a fortune..!

CSC3

I am now very keen to try a K80 again. I find myself really having to control my barrel swing these days so a heavier toy could be good. The guy I sold my K80 to says I can borrow it for a try out. Hopefully I hate it as this will save me a fortune..!

CSC3

Yours is a 30" gun if I'm not mistaken Clever? If so you may well find longer barrels would help steady things a little. I shot 28" and then 30" for years before switching to 32"but couldn't shoot them to save my life now.

Hi,

No Hammy it's a 32. I changed from a K years ago because I felt it was a touch unwieldy, but I am more experienced now. Not kidding myself that a revolution is possible, but it's worth a try as its nagging at me..

Cheers CSC3

I borrowed my old K80 super sport.

Did the ejc challenge yesterday and felt it was good on long targets, very steady. However, I found it a bit dead on fiddly stuff and it even seems tricky to see where the end of the gun is. Maybe it's the rib?

More close stuff this morning at a nice straw baler, confirming the nature on fiddly stuff. I need to add lead on slow targets. It would be a long learning curve to conquer this element, so sticking with the Perazzi!

CSC3

Saw the piccies of Adams new Maxum Impact, looks very tidy :) Might look into the Summit Impact as a reward for when I hit A Class :.:

Yep, I love both of them but have decided to learn to shoot before changing.

The gunchokecartridge combination I am now using is capable of breaking any clay out there so have decided after good advice to stick with it, learn to shoot and then maybe in a couple of years treat myself to a K80 or F3 for my 40th in a couple of years.

Jon.

I shoot a 30" F3 Pro, brilliant gun, low recoil compared to others and you can make it weigh 9 pounds plus if you are fit and strong.

If I was in the market for a new gun, it is one I would certainly try.

cheers CSC3

(Mike that is `rehearsal`)

I was reading the report in Clay Mag about the Beretta Silver Pigeon 1 for £1500 quid, that's for nothing. Really that's for nothing, the gun has 32" barrels, Optima chokes, the wood looks right (in shape and colour) the action is very well proven and even the rib is 10-8mm. How can they do them for that money, more to the point how can others justify guns at 6/7 times the price?

True.....true....... But........it is a Beretta!!! Hahahahahahahahaha .

None in my stable :)))))

Back