UK gunshop suggestion please

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJD

I’m looking to treat myself to a clay specific gun, all of my guns are game specific and I’m finding myself less interested in shooting game birds and get more enjoyment from working my dogs and fill the freezer with venison.

I have a large shortlist including beretta, CG, Kreighoff and would like to be able to try as much as possible, I’d also like to find somewhere where they can gun fit.

Suggestions please, doesn’t matter where it is in UK

Chris Potters in Tunbridge Wells, Kent have a selection, hubby purchased his K80 from Ian Coleys and couldn’t fault their service, especially if buying second hand, at least you can try it before buying it! Not clued up on anywhere else tbh but you’ll get some good answers from the guys in here. Good luck.

If its not too far, barbury is a good bet for cg. They use invictus 1s as school guns, so it shouldn't be a problem for a try out, good selection of guns in the shop 👍

Barbary and Coley’s are quite close together - you could easily visit both on one trip.

Coley’s has a big selection of Krieghoff guns as well as the usual suspects.

There is way too much self interest in a shop carrying out a gun fit.

If you have the money for a Krieghoff then get a 'fit' from someone independent (perhaps taking your current gun first).

Also be realistic about it - what do you think is the difference between a game & clay gun and why is the game gun you have now not the correct fit ?

Depends what you want to spend. If you are looking at a new Kreighoff, any of the main dealers will set you up and you can go to Germany where they will fit and make the stock for you. Sporting Targets was the dealer I got mine through, but there are others inc Coleys as mentioned above.

If you're looking at second hand, you won't find a gun that fits perfectly, but ifwhat you save from buying new (if you are looking in the K80 price bracket) would probably cover the cost of a bespoke stock from someone like Midland Gun Services. They fit them as well, but you could always see if someone like Ben Husthwaite or Cheryl Hall took you out and checked it before the ground applied the finish so final adjustments could be made if needed.

I second Donna's recommendation of Potters, they don't do Kreighoffs though. They do the expensive Italian ones though and Blasers.

Thanks everyone, I’m looking to add to my game guns with something for clays as they are low and don’t great visibility on some targets, and, well it’s nice to treat yourself sometimes…

I’d hadn’t thought of Chris Potter that’s a good idea, nice part of the world too! Coleys is on the list but they seem to be a lot more expensive than others for the same thing.

I’m not in a rush so a few trips out won’t hurt. (I’d really like to try the sl2 somehow)

I’d really like to try the sl2 somehow
If you do, let us know how you got on. They're few and far between here and certainly not available on the S/H market. Not sure which 'problems' it has set out to solve from the very solid DT platform, but it does look the part. However, at the price range you may do well to look at more custom options as well, as mentioned above.

If you're going to Chris Potters then phone them first to see if they have an open day at West Kent ground this year. I tried and shot 3 guns there before settling on my Beretta. Also check which days the top guy is available

Work took me past RBSS today ….. must … resist.. more … game … guns!!!!!!

If you do, let us know how you got on. They're few and far between here and certainly not available on the S/H market. Not sure which 'problems' it has set out to solve from the very solid DT platform, but it does look the part. However, at the price range you may do well to look at more custom options as well, as mentioned above.

I enquired with GMK about a demo one and was essentially told 'sorry not available for months' think there's only one and a lot of people won't order them for stock until they've tried one. Even the GMK rep didn't have one to look at.

I enquired with GMK about a demo one and was essentially told 'sorry not available for months' think there's only one and a lot of people won't order them for stock until they've tried one. Even the GMK rep didn't have one to look at.

And being in a much smaller market here, I wonder when I'll see one at a dealer let alone seeing a "try gun" somewhere. Not that I am looking to spend that kind of cash, but I would like to handle one to see if it is a step up from the DT's (and if so, why). My expectation is that improvements are marginal at best (while the price is certainly not), but value for money considerations are personal to each.

EDITED to add that I'm not at all slating the SL2 - I'd have one if it is indeed an improvement, or just to add to the Beretta's. In either case that would hinge on money not being an issue, but then the coffee kicked in :coffee::sneaky:

Last edited:
Money is all relative. There may be enough people with £20k as pocket change to order one based on the biased 'video' reviews and account for those in the UK for a good few months. They might be seen as a relatively safe investment - perhaps losing £2k if you sell it later on.

Until some of the names start using them I can't see them being seen out & about in the hands of mortals on the circuit as the decent B & above shooters have a very good idea of what will work for them and will want to try before buying (even if they are willing to splash the cash).

I would say that DT10/11s don't seem (to me though I'm not looking carefully) to have the CPSA Comp support that others do - Blaser, Ks & the occasional Ps.

What good is introducing a new gun if you can't even find one to try.

I'm also amazed Beretta fail to realise that at £20k the gun is 4 times the costs of a Browning competition gun and then that Browning don't make anything remotely similar at that price. For the bulk of those shooting, the gun needs to be seen & handled (and probably shot) to explain that away.

If you don’t mind travelling up to Northumberland, Bywell Shooting Ground have an excellent selection of guns including Perazzi, Krieghoff, Beretta, Miroku and Browning. They do gun fitting and you can try guns there too.
Always had genuine service from them.

Thanks everyone, I’m looking to add to my game guns with something for clays as they are low and don’t great visibility on some targets, and, well it’s nice to treat yourself sometimes…

I’d hadn’t thought of Chris Potter that’s a good idea, nice part of the world too! Coleys is on the list but they seem to be a lot more expensive than others for the same thing.

I’m not in a rush so a few trips out won’t hurt. (I’d really like to try the sl2 somehow)
I have tried the SL2 they had a demo one close by so jumped at the chance to give it a try, have to say all the hype is valid, it is the very best gun I have used in 40+ years of experience, The recoil has been greatly reduced I even put some Gamebore Black Gold down the barrels and no muzzle flip and no more recoil than the 24 gram that I normally use. It’s down to the barrel profile I’m told, yes it is ugly and doesn’t conform to traditional style but I would have one tomorrow if I had deep enough pockets.. If you get the opportunity to try one you should definitely give it a shot

I have tried the SL2 they had a demo one close by so jumped at the chance to give it a try, have to say all the hype is valid, it is the very best gun I have used in 40+ years of experience, The recoil has been greatly reduced (...). If you get the opportunity to try one you should definitely give it a shot

Is it just the reduced recoil, or are there other deviations from the "designs of yore" that make it stand out from all the others over those decades? You sound convinced, so genuinely curious. Also, what do you shoot normally?

I have been shooting a DT10 for the last 10 years, before that a Browning 525 , dabbled with a Perazzi , tried a Blazzer etc etc. and the SL2 is the best handling and well balanced gun I’ve ever had the pleasure of shooting, yes it’s probably the heaviest gun I’ve ever shot but it doesn’t feel like it, the balance is perfect, the one I tried had a adjustable comb and after a few adjustments I had a play on the clays, as I said before the felt recoil was minimal zero barrel flip zero even with black gold which I stopped using because of the recoil in my DT10, normally takes a lot to impress me but the SL2 made me want one… just need someone to pay for it…

If you don’t mind travelling up to Northumberland, Bywell Shooting Ground have an excellent selection of guns including Perazzi, Krieghoff, Beretta, Miroku and Browning. They do gun fitting and you can try guns there too.
Always had genuine service from them.
Thanks, I love Northumberland and it may even be above freezing this time of year!

Latest posts

Back