westfield 15th april same again please

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim french

Looking on the westieild results and upcoming shoots alison and steve show westield april the 15th[do you want the same again].

Yes please, i messed up big time at the start and would love to try and try again. Its the only way to learn.

I think by 'the same' they mean same sort of toughness. It can't be the same as last time at a registered shoot..

CSC3

Gets my vote for a similar standard but I feel that quite a few may not !!!! too many acquaint their score to the quality of the shoot,big scores do not make it a shoot good......quality of targets do that ! and Westfield's last weekend had it all. and in reality you will never learn much shooting straight at stuff, other than being able to shoot straight at stuff, :cool: ???? more of the same would be nice, but don't hold your breath.

This is where ground owners need to be carefull,make it too hard and alot of people simply won,t go there, think steve,s been in this situation before. For me personally, i thought the shoot was superb and would love to shoot a similar one, but a lot of people like to admire their scores on the cpsa site and shoots like this won,t help their ego,s. so i guess we won,t see too many shoots of this standard in the future. shame!

The problem is that the cpsa system judges your performance on pure numerical value. If you hit a 70 at Westfield last weekend, it may have been the equivalent of somebody hitting an 83 at an easy shoot elsewhere. These two results will be judged by the cpsa as a B class performance and a AA performance respectively. Can't blame people for feeling misjudged.

Your score at the cpsa should be based upon how far down the scores list you finish, not by the number of clays hit. That way the shoot could be as tough as you like and it would give parity between different shoots for grading purposes.

CSC3

Or a 'par' for the course that is decided before the shoot starts?

P.s. always choose hard over easy.......it makes you improve if you are committed. It also teaches you courage to carry on. Easy shoots that have loads in the 90's are ego pleasers.

Leveller shoots are essential to point out that you are not as good as you think you are.

Unfortunately all mine recently have been levellers...............

Hey ho .....crack on.......the wind will change............

Last edited:
Amen to that... the best thing I ever did was start shooting registered shoots, I was hitting 70% at one shooting ground, and thought I had it cracked... then started (one year ago) registered shoots and plummeted down to the 40's - so from 48% to 70%ish in a year shows that stepping up, made me step up a bit.

I also agree with the methodology that says we should decide classifications by how far down the list you are - the 'par' system could also work, although I presume that the decision would be really subjective - so straight 'cuts' - like in golf, might work.It would be interesting to look at the scores from Westfield and see how that would pan out.

As many good shots on here have already said...... The way to improve is to shoot with those who are better than you are and to do the testing shoots.......

Matt has had a massive improvement in just one year of shooting registered shoots and listening to all types of shooters.....then using what has suited him to improve. Well done matey.

No such thing as an easy shoot! Otherwise there would be 100 straights posted every single week!

The problem is the fine line between putting on a tough shoot which can be enjoyed and going OTT.

Grounds still need to ensure they get good entries and keep their customers happy.

If 25% prefer tough shoots to the 75% then I know which ones I would cater for the most.

The problem you have is at the majors and selection shoots the bar is usualyl raised that little bit more so with the added pressure of a big shoot, this also makes those shoots a lot harder.

Personally I think the way things have moved on from a year or so ago is a step in the right direction to keep people shooting and breaking clays. I remember when I was shooting week in week out some shoots just beat the shooters up and that to me defeats the object.

Tough but fair is fine but that is a very fine line.

I think it is noticeable in Fitasc as well. Little adjustments I have noticed over the years like giving you the hard single in a raffael double which really is a bonus target in the singles is one of the big things I always used to see. It used to amaze me how many times you would fine that you would be surprised how that could affect a shoot if that continued over 4 layouts. Constantly grinding away at the shooter. I know everybody wants to be tested to their best but the audience and standards are massively spread out.

On the one hand you want to ease new shooters into the sport and not demoralize them and on the other scale you have AAA shots who want to be tested.

At the end of the day the cream always rises to the top so I see no problems with more people shooting bigger scores in normal registered events if it keeps people shooting and new comers interested.

Glen.

Glen explain " tough but fair" ???? Westfield had at least 40 targets inside 20m and nothing outside 45m !!! but some were quick. We must all realise we are entering a competition, why should any competition be easy ? surely there is no point in this, if scores carry on getting higher in every class won't it lose it's appeal. Sporting is NOT a concrete discipline you need to structure targets to suit class averages,surely. I get so confused lately people want to enjoy big scores irrespective of where it will take them, then they find it virtually impossible to compete when they get there, so who is kidding who. Hear what your saying but don't think it's working, other than it the finance gathering, WOULD WE SHOOT A POOL SHOOT IF THERE WAS ALREADY 45 STRAIGHTS ..........? ? ? ? ?

To me tough but fair is a stand that a AA shot would reasonably expect to hit 9 or 10 and where an A class shot would reasonably expect to drop one but be happy if he doesn't. Quite simply if you're aiming to make those guys shoot 80 or less then you've made it too hard.

The easiest thing in the world is to put on short window combo's and big distances and edgy stuff that rely on luck and judgement to make things a lottery as well as unenjoyable.

One of the local straw bale clubs I go to started to make things more difficult - fast window shot's -long fast edge on targets etc and within 3 month's the number of shooters dropped - a few weeks ago numbers were down 40% - on average there used to be 100 shooters - Each shoot it was nearly always the same small goup winning in each class but that 40% didn't mind so why have they left for new pastures ? -Perhaps they feel they didn't get value for money - so to my mind the ground owner is treading a fine line between pandering to the top shot's and getting as many feet through the door as possible. - I have seen a huge decline in shooting grounds over the last 20 yrs - the last thing we need is anymore going to wall because taking's are down. - I shoot the occasional registered shoot and enjoy them - I never expect to win my class but try my hardest, but if I get any eye test target's it might be a while before I go back to that ground.

Just my pennyworth

Jolly

All well and good putting on a tough shoot, but has been said before the class system needs to be overhauled before that can happen. The class system is supposed to give a level playing field but at this moment in time it doesn't. The vast majority want to be tested when they go out on a Sunday not demoralised.

Firstly, not everyone shoots to achieve an average or a class, some people like to shoot to test themselves, some like to shoot high scores etc etc.

The fact is you can't say Westfield was too hard, and everyone I have spoke to WITHoUT EXCEPTION thought it was a brilliant shoot. If that was the case then I'd say it was spot on!

There are hard targets that have been thought out, are very breakable and well laid out that can be broken consistently then there are hard targets where someone chucks a trap out and expects you to shoot a bird at 70 yards through a hole in a hedge; don't confuse the two.

If you like soft targets either take up skeet or go to places that consistently stick soft stuff on. Funily enough the consistently soft grounds seem to have the lower numbers of entries, and then everyone moans when C class is won with 88.

You can't have it both ways people!

Totally agree with Ed, Registered Competitive targets should be just that, most shoots now are no more than 1/4 choke shoots, and window shooting, it’s all well and good shooting 86 in 'B' class but how demoralized are you going to be when you shoot in AA (82% AA cut off), shotguns were designed for moving targets not static,dosent it make you feel better when you pull through a target with some leed and see it break ? to progress through surely you start of at your local club shoot then progress to competitive shoots to see how far you have come on? seems to me these days everyones singing out of the same hymn book, big scores squit targets big entries for now, come decent shoots like Westfield’s England qualifier people can’t cope with good targets, nothing there was out of range and all shootable just better quality ? Top shots will always put the scores in but shots who think they have progressed shooting tame shoots will go away feeling demoralized, then complain to the ground owner it to 'HARD' instead of trying to improve..... My thoughts only :smile: :smile: :smile: , no one should go to a England Team qualifier and say its to hard, it is for the best to compete to get in the team, and luckaly it allows us average shots to have a go also, what other sport allows this :D :mellow:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back