What is your shotgun cleaning routine and frequency?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
None at all - this was the result of Mrs Admin tidying up at a BBQ hosted by Jem... Mrs Admin's OCD kicked in, and "bottles belong in fridges"!

Thank goodness for that - I was being polite as I couldn't for the life of me think of any advantage - anyway it gave Hammy a laugh so he enjoyed my polite naivety!

Robert,

That is an interesting comment about Lead fouling.

I have for years used Parker Hale 009, then Butch's Bore Shine, WD40, Napier, M-Pro 7 and such like .

But I do have to say that a piece of 4x2 soaked in Clenzoil does seem to fetch the muck out best of all.

I know many people swear by WD40 for removing plastic wad fouling.

We are a funny breed, a friend of mine is selling his gun because he rarely cleans it and his thinwall Teagues  seized in a few weeks ago, so despite shooting that gun very well he is going to sell it and get a fixed choke gun.

Robert,

We are a funny breed, a friend of mine is selling his gun because he rarely cleans it and his thinwall Teagues  seized in a few weeks ago, so despite shooting that gun very well he is going to sell it and get a fixed choke gun.
But his old gun was turning in to a fixed choke gun wasn't it? Job done.

Will,

Exactly, so what is the point of a multichoke if you don't twirl chokes?

No point in multichoke = no point in choke. Are gun makers missing something ?

My point was that there is a reason for each different choke or every gun would have no choke

My point was that there is a reason for each different choke or every gun would have no choke
Agree there Bryan. My flippant comment was meant as a comment to sporting shots that sodding around is just a distraction to most. Skeet shooters need skeet, trap shooters need a lot more. With a constant need, have the most appropriate, but you can do that in a fixed choke gun and avoid the mental distraction of fiddling.

I understand the ' one choke for everything ' thought as I've shot 3/4 + 3/4 for sporting and trap for yrs but I also understand that some prefer to pick a choke to suit a particular target . Each to their own . 

Going back to cleaning , Napier gun Cleaner Aerosol and kitchen roll for a quick clean and occasionally use ' wipe out ' rifle bore cleaner which gives metal a better shine than when it was new. Anyone else used this ?

Latest posts

Back