Where now for OSK

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Robert, the OSK Devon championship is this Saturday! Broadmoor is an ok little shooting ground, mainly holding abt/dtl/skeet but small amounts of other events. The main problem is that because its on top of a hill its very exposed, and wind affected OSK targets could be fun! I almost got blown of my feet last week shooting ESK. I believe Rory Warlow use to attend!

I've not long started so I'm not yet into skeet as sporting and Compak are keeping me more than amused so I just wanted to let everyone know that there was another OSK layout.  Good luck with the Devon Championships!

We are always happy to change a layout from English to osk. All anyone needs to do is ask in advance ideally with a few people coming. It's not a lot of work but we do loose use of a esk and dtl for the day and it also affects some sporting stands. 2 years ago we set a layout up for two weekends a month all year for England team member Andrew lea to practice on but he could not get other people to come. Was worth it in the end when he won the Home international tho.

As I say anyone interested just let us know either on here or face book or through our website. We also set up double rise, sporttrap and flushes by request, we like to be accommodating.

I spoke to the management at Essex sg to why they closed the Olympic skeet range and they informed me that in a 4 week period  16 rounds off Olympic skeet were shot and so due to the lack off support and they have wages to pay they decided that they had no option but to change it to English skeet  to which they are averaging around 35-45 rounds of English skeet a week. 

They also told me that most of the regular customers  that shot the Olympic skeet range always complained that the targets were to slow,to fast,to high, to low all in the same day even after the targets had been hooped and the distances measured.

we all like a moan when we miss

They also told me that they contacted the Olympic committee at least two years before  the 2012 Olympics hoping that there Olympic skeet range could be used for a training base for any Olympic competitors/team and they were told No chance   (no support again)

I am a regular at Essex sg and I did shoot the Olympic skeet range on the odd occasions  and I will miss it 

No offence Mr Smith but as a former regular at ESG myself the reasoning coming out of the establishment is becoming more and more nonsensical. The only bit that has a ring of truth is that Mr Searle proprietor at ESG TRIED (note the capitals) to hoop the targets as I actually witnessed him try to do it. however this was after he moved the OSK to the concrete parking area. Which was effectively the range that jack built and when he had English skeet on there thats where the complaints came from. compact sporting stuff and leads everywhere, uneven cracked ground, stands in the wrong place as well as one missing altogether for OSK, one trap house too high! and both traps were sporting traps not designed for the speed and consistency of OSK and even i could tell that. I feel its a bit chicken and egg People cant use what isnt there! if the set up was right and no one used it then they would have a point but in this current climate why would anyone self funding spend hard earned money to make do? Let alone using it as a training area for "Olympic athletes" that has got to be one of the most laugh out loud ridiculous statements I've ever heard! Too right they were told "no chance" the likes of Vincent Hancock and Tore Brovold driving up a pothome riddled airstrip in Ongar! tripping over bits concrete and make shift stands Dream on!.. Then wake up!. I've met the former OSK regulars from ESG a few times now at my local ground who have put up a fit for purpose range and to say they are committed to using it and putting cash across the counter is an understatement and I'm pretty sure they don't live round here. However the positive notes in all this is my local ground making an investment and supporting OSK and despite the ESG debacle congratulations to former regular David Wilder who has just been picked for England! Where there's a will... there's OSK!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the contributions, comments and suggestions this post is done.

Admin please lock.

Blackstar, as it is an open forum we cannot just lock a thread because the OP believes it has come to a conclusion. There is nothing here in my opinion that warrant's locking. If no one is interested further on this topic and doesn't post it will eventually be archived anyway. Cheers Fuz

Sorry Fuz my misunderstanding didn't realise my apologies to the forum and hope no offence caused.

Ninja...Ya cant lock it when you want to and sometimes it gets locked when you dont want to.......these are the ups and downs of a forum. :laugh:

I think it would be brill Fuzzy, if the original poster could lock the thread that they start when the thread get ambushed as so many are these days.

Just look at poor webber's thread..................jeeeeez.....!!!

Off shooting now....so have a great day ya all...... :laugh:

LOCK....!!

Ignore button pressed just in case :laugh:

@, I have seen the topic you mention but unfortunately I only have mod privileges for skeet, trap and game shooting. I'm sure the equipment mods will be along shortly :)

Ninja...Ya cant lock it when you want to and sometimes it gets locked when you dont want to.......these are the ups and downs of a forum. :laugh:

I think it would be brill Fuzzy, if the original poster could lock the thread that they start when the thread get ambushed as so many are these days.

Just look at poor webber's thread..................jeeeeez.....!!!

Off shooting now....so have a great day ya all...... :laugh:

LOCK....!!

Ignore button pressed just in case :laugh:
Been and done that and have sent a message to Webber.

Latest posts

Back