Winter Over Coat Windproof Waterproof

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherhill7777

Can anyone recommended a good coat for shooting? Barbour or similar style.

Mainly clay pigeon shoot so it will be taken off between stands and used for walking the dog etc.

can anyone recommend a nice country style coat? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Bin liners? I would use Sainsburys bags but they cost 5p each these days! 

Useful answers please guys ??☺️

I used to use waterproof jackets which I bough from golf shops, usually thin, windproof and waterproof. Don't interfere with your mounting and can be worn underneath your shooting vest. You could also try the outdoors type places as they will have similar styles for hiking, etc

Failing that if you wanted a Barbour/Seeland/Schoffel heavyweight jacket I tend to buy from John Norris at Penrith as they have some good deals on for that type.

I love my Musto Technical Tweed coat. Very warm, waterproof and ideal for walking the dog. Probably best removed between clay stands rhough???. MM

This morning I gave my Seeland jacket a good watering - and it remained waterproof and windproof.

I can't tell you what model it is (maybe an Eton?)because it doesn't have it written on it anywhere, but it's my second Seeland jacket - the other one's a Woodcock, which is great. I actually prefer the Woodcock, the material is nicer and the pockets are bigger.

Seeland use Euro sizes - that caught me out. They're slightly larger than our own British sizes, but if you go down the John Norris route they are very helpful about such things. I generally like Seeland stuff.

I rather went off Barbour when they became a fashion range - a bit like Burberry did, and I suspect the quality may have suffered.

ive tried em all and in all seriousness for working in heavy rain and shooting in cold winds and heavy rain the Berghaus short rambling jacket is by far the best .

I find a bin liner works well, or i pinch one of the elves overcoats

:)

:santa: x
I thought Bin Liner was dead !

Musto clay shooting jacket for me, no good for walking the dog though, his legs are too short for the sleeves. Ridgeline do a decent range of 'doggy walking coats' all under the £100 mark, including a smock type thingy which looks quite good.

I have a Sasta coat that is now 10 years old. Very soft, not thick, incredibly warm. As nice to shoot in as a skeet vest. I would be lost without it in the real cold. They are about £380, but that works out around 50p for each wear of it so far. Washed it in some proper 2 part gore-tex stuff and it's like new.

the picture is from a website. This is the new version, mine is very similar.

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Beretta jackets are well worth a look. I have a few, very comfortable wind/waterproof and built for shooting.

I must add that i DO NOT shoot when its persisting down, i just cannot see the fun in it.

I've recently taken to wearing a very lightweight Berghaus shell jacket.  Sheds water very well, keeps the wind out and is very thin so doesn't get in the way of your mount too much.

I wouldent shoot game in anything other than a schoffel 

love mine had them for years they now also do a lightweight 

Seeland if your on a budget, musto if your not. I have the seeland woodcock and it's very good for the money but lacks a quilted lining so you need a micro fleece under it in colder weather. Also have musto and le chameau clay shooting jackets that are very good indeed.

Latest posts

Back