Are expensive guns worth it?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might pop into ByGone Times whilst up there in Eccleston ;)
If we are talking 'correct' gun fitting here then do not bother coming to Lancashire, we do not have any Gun Fitters here !  You really should be looking at going 'South' to one of the better shooting grounds with a proven track record for gunfitting. I have seen first hand, some of the work from alleged stock fitters and to be honest I would NOT let them fit a light bulb and cetainly NOT a shotgun.  Solely my opinion, of course. 

What do you define as cheap and expensive ?

I have not shot a real expensive gun as yet such as a "K-Gun" or Perazzi.

I have a grade 1 B525 sporter and am very happy with it. Back in the summer a guy on a shoot offered me a go with his Blaser F...something (Black action and yellow embossed lettering) and it looked real nice and sported a pair of Mullers, on mounting it felt nice with the grip etc but that was all spoilt when I pulled the trigger, it recoiled horribly and felt like the barrels flexed, it clearly did not fit me either as I missed all targets I shot at. I was happy handing it back and picking up my far cheaper B525 that felt much more solid to shoot. If I had the money I sure as heck wouldn't spend it on a Blaser from that experience.

Strange that you should say that. I was waiting patiently until I was fit enough to try the new Blaser F16, having already tried the F3 on a couple of occasions and being less than impressed. I did 50 odd birds on an English Sporting layout and it was a real hit and miss affair. I felt glad to return the gun to the shop. A week later I tried the Browning 725, as I just happened to be in the shop as another customer was trying the demo gun. I took that out and dropped 2 from some 25 targets of sporting clays. Oddly enough, I bought the gun ! 

I don't think you can dismiss a Blaser f3 because "it didn't fit me", it simply means that particular stock was wrong for you. The shop really should have checked this out. The fact the thing didn't fit you could well have affected the perceived recoil, too. Mine fits, doesn't sport Mullers, and the perceived recoil is minimal as one would expect from a relatively heavy gun.

Myself I think its nice to see someone winning a shoot with knackered old nail of a gun. Thorrold used to win several with his 682 painted matt black with tape holding the forend on.
And using his car keys to lever the spent cartridge out!!

Ah a line bite :lol:
1kickfish.gif
your not pulling me in

I say worth it, but what I am trying to ask is "Would you notice the difference if you used a £500 gun compared to a £5000? How does it improve your game?

Honestly ... it does depend a lot on how serious you are about your shooting. Spending dosh won't make you a good shooter but having the right kit will help... sometimes the right kit can involve spending money. One thing I always say and will repeat it again the gun you buy will be the cheapest shooting related thing you buy, assuming you are a serious shooter. A Perazzi MX8 trap gun made for the shooter will cost about  £12-14k depending on wood etc  but 10k cartridges a year plus targets, travel and competition entries is going to cost about £4500. Thing is it is down to the individual and you do not have to be a great shot to shoot a great gun but top shooters do shoot top kit.

That waggler float is starting to move a bit more now... won't be long   :p

never see cheap cartridges at pheasant shoots.

Just saying

A Perazzi MX8 trap gun made for the shooter will cost about  £12-14k depending on wood etc  but 10k cartridges a year plus targets, travel and competition entries is going to cost about £4500. 
I think you are a bit light there, Excel tells me that over the last year a 10k a year clay habit is just over 9k a year based on 20k miles travel.

Its the same with any sport. 99.9% is the responsibility of the tool behind the tool.

If you equipped me with the most well balanced, kitted out, most exquisitely fitted gun that money could buy and pitted me against anyone on here equipped with a bit of drain pipe cable tied to a bit of 2x4; I would still get my arse handed to me on a silver platter.

Sure - good and custom kit may help get you that extra 100th of a second, that extra mm or the extra clay out of 150, but unless you are competing at a level where such things consistently matter you have to ask serious questions as to whether its worth it.  

Of course - If you have the money- what the hell, go for it.

CharlesP, I dont think that it would have made any difference to feeling after pulling the trigger. I was dismissing what I hit or missed. The gun didnt fit me for placing shot at point of aim but it felt great to hold and swing and the fit of the stock to my hand and face on shapes and dimensions. I am solely talking about how the physical structure of the gun felt as it recoiled.... Broken pogo stick comes to mind, it really did feel like the barrels flexed like in cartoons when the barrels are shown bulging as the shot/bullet travels down the barrel with the barrel hunching up and almost spitting the shot out of the end as the barrels straighten. Kind of like the rifle version of the GAT gun.

ATB

Matt

Salop Sniper, thank you for the clarification. How odd! A bit like the sensation some describe when firing a semi auto?

I'll be out tomorrow ( weather permitting) and I'll take note. I will have your wonderfully described image in mind, and and I will report back.

I think you are a bit light there, Excel tells me that over the last year a 10k a year clay habit is just over 9k a year based on 20k miles travel.
To be fair I only pay €3.50 for 25 clays I think you pay much more? And I don't use expensive cartridges €168 per thousand I was trying to get a ball park total in sterling and approx. prices for what you would pay... I heard of £7-8 per 25 clays ... total extortion... mind you its a business so profit must be made.

Latest posts

Back