Are expensive guns worth it?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
never see cheap cartridges at pheasant shoots.

Just saying
Float just dipped about to strike and start reeling you in :lol:

edit

To be honest Ian I used Lylevale supreme when I shot in the syndicate I seem to remember they were quite pricey.... but there were days on that shoot where I would only shoot 10-15 cartridges... great day out though :lol:

edit

I would like to add for the ornithological enthusiasts very few birds were hurt during my days shooting... in fact I was thinking about getting a big catapult to fire the cartridges at the pheasants rather than firing the gun... the results would very often have been the same! I did not shoot clay targets back then so maybe today I would actually hit a few :)

Last edited by a moderator:
To be fair I only pay €3.50 for 25 clays I think you pay much more? And I don't use expensive cartridges €168 per thousand I was trying to get a ball park total in sterling and approx. prices for what you would pay... I heard of £7-8 per 25 clays ... total extortion... mind you its a business so profit must be made.
I use the absolute cheapest shells available. 100 esp is 30-35 birds only and from 25p a clay for practice, by far out biggest expense is motoring, easy to forget its more than just fuel.

I use the absolute cheapest shells available. 100 esp is 30-35 birds only and from 25p a clay for practice, by far out biggest expense is motoring, easy to forget its more than just fuel.
Yes you tend to forget about tyres and car upkeep you are probably right on reflection it is about €10 for just fuel to my club and back.

Yes you tend to forget about tyres and car upkeep you are probably right on reflection it is about €10 for just fuel to my club and back.
Excel can be a sod, but i have kept a record for 3 years. 90p a clay is my rule of thumb all in. Wife shoots too so double whammy.

I'm lucky in that my nearest ground is only 2 miles away - could walk it if I could be bothered.

In fact come summer I probably will.

Excel can be a sod, but i have kept a record for 3 years. 90p a clay is my rule of thumb all in. Wife shoots too so double whammy.
I do not keep a track of my out goings for shooting but a 100 target day training would be about €45 but that does not include hidden things like car servicing and insurance so about  45 cents per clay.

Dont forget, tyres, and depreciation, over 3 years the 60k miles we do shooting on top of  personal mileage hammers our trade in.

Still happy to contribute every week to the sport, 

I'm lucky in that my nearest ground is only 2 miles away - could walk it if I could be bothered.

In fact come summer I probably will.
This is great, every shoot we goto is 90 mins away minimum. Some practice is an hour.

Latest posts

Back