Barrel rust

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do not use home bluing kit they are rubbish. Like les said if it concerns you let a Smith sort it they will have some hundred year old trick up there sleeve, some black magic and jobs done. Try a good rub with youngs 303 first but if that doesn't work give up.

I have used some 0000 grade steel wool with some 3 in 1 oil and GENTLE rubbing to remove light surface rust on barrels without any damage to blueing. I have done the complete length of a pair of O/U barrels without any ill effects.

Red oxide paint like the farmers use on their sheds will stop it coming through,

Seriously though probably an expensive lesson learnt, hope you can get it sorted

I have used some 0000 grade steel wool with some 3 in 1 oil and GENTLE rubbing to remove light surface rust on barrels without any damage to blueing. I have done the complete length of a pair of O/U barrels without any ill effects.
Did this on an air rifle barrel once and worked fine, no nasty after effects as Wesley says, very fine wire wool and lots of oil,gently does it though.

this is exactly what my gunsmith showed me to do...agree100% a perfect finish

Latest posts

Back