Best Gig ever seen....who, where, when and why?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaykaysea

Liking this musical thing...

Mine was Prince at Rio in Las Vegas, the most amazing intimate gig, maybe 200 of us there and hardly any distance away...not that you could get close to him...

He was brilliant and he sure can put a tune together...even better live than I expected...

Closely followed by Nickelback in Sheffield but that doesn't sound half as glamorous!!

Muse - wembley- great times, great friends, spectacle! sums it up 

I was there too...that was amazing as well....and they were good in Sheffied and at the IOW Festival....happy days....

Um this is the most difficult.

Probably fairport convention, 1988 at a small venue in southport think it was southport arts centre or something like that. A very enjoyable concert, went with 1st Mrs nut case.

But buddy rich 1980 at floral hall southport was also very good, went with my big bro.

Chris barber at blackburn civic centre 1990 was a good jazz concert, went with my dad (rip)

So many to choose from, sorry was it only meant to be one answer :)

Ooh, can i add Alice cooper 1983 Manchester Apollo. Not a great fan but got dragged there by a friend. Stage show was amazing but way to pretentious for my taste, the star of the show for me was the very weird support act called "alien sex fiend" nope i never heard of them either, or since. They were like a weird punk version of gong. They got heckled off stage but i thought they were great :)

I was at the Muse gig at Wembley as well:

muse june2007 wembley 091 by mattr, on Flickr
Full set of photos here : http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattr/sets/72157600379840552/

post-10-0-51629100-1387266576.jpg

Attachments

• 560110399_674791a359.jpg
    560110399_674791a359.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
Most recent - Peter Gabriel at the O2 a couple years ago, Scratch my Back tour.  Still got a tremendously powerful voice!

But not my best gig ever...

That was when I went to see Elbow at the Porchester Library in London - about 300 people, as they released 'Seldom Seen Kid' - we stood just a few steps from the stage and they blew us away with an amazing gig. 

Elbow at Porchester Hall by mattr, on Flickr

This was also a great gig - Morrissey at the Camden Roundhouse:

Morrissey by mattr, on Flickr

No rules then??

Ok. Pink Floyd - Webley Stadium 1989. Standing in the middle of the pitch in front of the sound module, surrounded by tens of thousands of pot smoking freaks. Never did drugs and never smoked, but I got high that day!!

Gary Moore - Colston Hall, Bristol. Several occasions in the 2000's

Robert Cray - Hammersmith Odeon 1988

Wilko Johnson - many times, many venues but Tavistock Wharf 2012 when I got to meet him in his dressing room and give him a Guitar Strap I had made for him. Smashing Bloke!!

Eric Clapton's Blues Night - Albert Hall 1989. Featured Buddy Guy, Albert Collins, Robert Cray, Mark Knopfler and others.

Joe Bonamassa - Exeter Phoenix around 2003ish before he got famous. He put his hand on my shoulder to ask me to move out the way so he could get on the stage. I thought, in the dim lighting, he was trying to push infront of me until I saw he had his beautiful Gigliotti Telecaster in his hand. (yes, I touched it!!)

Jeff Beck - The "Who'd of thought it" pub, Grafty Green, Kent. 1981. It just isn't possible to do that with a guitar, but he does??? A real life changer!.  :music: :music: :music:

And finally - because this has me reminiscing - another Elbow gig - 2005 at Koko (Camden Palace) - before they were a stadium band:

Elbow at Koko 039 by mattr, on Flickr

I love this picture... still proud of this one. 

Roger Waters in Rome earlier this year. Apart from being a fantastic album, the show was out of this world.
Closely followed by Reading 1980, everything about that weekend was brilliant, great mates, fantastic weather, plus some awesome bands - UFO, iIron Maiden, Marillion, The Enid, and Gillan with a lineup that was almost Deep Purple.
zazyqutu.jpg

Ooops - sorry about the rules... I get excited when we start talking gigs. 

post-877-138726815138.jpg

The who in Birmingham what a night

Silence the competition.......

www.proshock.co.uk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387268147.503921.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387268147.503921.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 0
I have just been talking to my son about this, and his best gig was IoW a couple of years ago. Tom Petty and Bruce Springsteen and he's only 26.
My work is done

Metallica at Wembley Arena 1990 the and justice for all tour.

Sepultura at the Marquee, the loudest gig I've ever been to.

Paul Weller at the Albert Hall numerous times.

Sacred Reich at the Hammersmith Odeon, with the hottest girlfriend I ever had.:'(

And anywy Slayer are playing.. :blink:

chicken curry no worry

Latest posts

Back