Billy No Mates

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mellydrink

Hi all seems a bit sad this, I started shooting about 5 months ago after getting the bug on a stag do with some mates down south. A work mate and I had a few lessons and although he enjoyed it, he didn't get the bug like me. I applied for my SGC and having got it I bought a second hand Beretta. Through my own clumsiness, gun fell over, rib got bent. Another mate introduced me to a mate of his who shoots and also repairs guns. Gun repaired he invited me along to a local ground and have now shot with him and various others on about 5 or 6 occasions. The problem is they only seem to shoot if they can get 4 or 5 together, if not they don't bother. My problem is I could do with shooting every week. My question I suppose is, why don't clubs, having given lessons, have a next step where you can meet and shoot with people who are at the same sort of level. It seems to me that there is no obvious stepping stone from those first few exciting lessons to finding like minded shooters and or entering competitions. Hence for the first time ever I am left feeling like Billy no mates?

It's pretty common... I was introduced to shoot by someone that is quite happy to shoot a monthly strawbaler, whereas I wanted to spread my wings further and shoot all the time. 

Don't do what I did - start a website to find your tribe! 

Seriously though - I'm sure there are people in your area that are on this site that will meet up for a shoot or two, you can learn loads by shooting with experienced shots.  You could also join the CPSA and find out what your county does for shoots, you can meet loads of great people that way.  You might also find that a local club/ground has a league or something you could get involved in to give you a regular focus. 

Are there any local clubs you can join? That would be the best way of finding people to shoot with I'd say. We're (husband and I) are in a local club here and during the summer they arrange shoots every other weekend on average, which is pretty good considering we live very rurally.

The ground that I have shot at is very good, has most disciplins and is open 6 days a week and there seems to be plenty going on, I just feel that I have not reached a level of competence to feel confident just turning up without someone else to shoot with.

When you visit your local ground tell whoever is taking the money that you would like to go round with someone else. They'll soon hook you up with someone. You get chatting and very soon you have acquired a group of people that you tend to shoot with!

The ground that I have shot at is very good, has most disciplins and is open 6 days a week and there seems to be plenty going on, I just feel that I have not reached a level of competence to feel confident just turning up without someone else to shoot with.
Where do you shoot Melly? 

I was kind of in the same predicament just I wanted to shoot in the week when my shooting buddy's where at work. I just took the jump and went on my own. I like it now I can practise all the hard clays as much as want and work on my mount and foot work. 

Hi - Pop up to Nottngham & District gun club - they're a great bunch & have Sporting, Sporttrap, DTL, ABT & Skeet - they'll make you more than welcome - ask for Carl, Linda or Julia - tell em Norm sent you - before you know it you'll be1of the regulars ;)  

Hi all seems a bit sad this, I started shooting about 5 months ago after getting the bug on a stag do with some mates down south. A work mate and I had a few lessons and although he enjoyed it, he didn't get the bug like me. I applied for my SGC and having got it I bought a second hand Beretta. Through my own clumsiness, gun fell over, rib got bent. Another mate introduced me to a mate of his who shoots and also repairs guns. Gun repaired he invited me along to a local ground and have now shot with him and various others on about 5 or 6 occasions. The problem is they only seem to shoot if they can get 4 or 5 together, if not they don't bother. My problem is I could do with shooting every week. My question I suppose is, why don't clubs, having given lessons, have a next step where you can meet and shoot with people who are at the same sort of level. It seems to me that there is no obvious stepping stone from those first few exciting lessons to finding like minded shooters and or entering competitions. Hence for the first time ever I am left feeling like Billy no mates?
Come to Orston shooting ground have a round of skeet or sporting DTL or compac I'm there most Wednesday's and Sunday's you well be welcome 

deershooter 

Thanks all, I normally shoot at Cocketts Farm and like I say they are a great crowd, think I might, as you say, just turn up and see how it goes. Just got the impression it was not the thing to do. Thanks V8 90 and Deerhunter might just take you up on that.

When you go to Cockett Farm next, the old guy behind the counter is Roger, the owner. Just ask him to put you with someone to shoot with and he'll make the intro for you and put you with someone or a group.

Thanks all, I normally shoot at Cocketts Farm and like I say they are a great crowd, think I might, as you say, just turn up and see how it goes. Just got the impression it was not the thing to do. Thanks V8 90 and Deerhunter might just take you up on that.
That's exactly the thing to do. Most clubs will put out the welcome mat for newbies and the owner will (I'm sure) be more than happy to introduce you. ​

Latest posts

Back