Browning shotguns

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwpzx9r

Hi

A question out of curiosity. Where are the Browning Ultra XTR shotguns made? The gun transfer slip I got from the dealer in France says Belgium and there is a proof slip with the gun from a Belgian proof house but I had heard that they were made in Japan? Regardless I love this gun it is a heavy gun at a just over 9lbs but the lack of recoil and the fit make it a hit with me, so much more comfortable to shoot than my 687 or my brothers 682 Beretta's and the sound on closing, well... its sounds just like a golf :)

Almost certainly made in Japan and proofed in Belgium, as all Mirokus are and Brownings too, unless they came out of the custom shop. Belgian guns usually start c £10k plus.

Almost certainly made in Japan and proofed in Belgium, as all Mirokus are and Brownings too, unless they came out of the custom shop. Belgian guns usually start c £10k plus.
Yep. Made in Japan in the Miroku factory. Proofed in the country of sale as the Japanese proof house (if there is one) isn't recognised in Europe.

That answers that one! I must have a look and see if I can see the made in Japan mark they usually put it somewhere.

So would it be fair to say that the Browning is manufactured to the same standard as the Miroku using the same technologies? I personally don't think made in Japan means made cheap and nasty you just have to look at their Motorcycles and cars to see that, however it never ceases to amaze me how many people think that Japanese stuff is second rate. I think its a throw back to the fact they destroyed the British motorcycle industry amongst other industries.

So would it be fair to say that the Browning is manufactured to the same standard as the Miroku using the same technologies? I personally don't think made in Japan means made cheap and nasty you just have to look at their Motorcycles and cars to see that, however it never ceases to amaze me how many people think that Japanese stuff is second rate. I think its a throw back to the fact they destroyed the British motorcycle industry amongst other industries.

No, the fact is they just made better bikes than the Brits. In fact - much better bikes.

Phil*

Yes of course you are right Phil but that was not the perception of many of the Brit bikers who thought that cheap Japanese imports did for Norton, Triumph, BSA et.al ! I have a BMW and a Honda needless to say the Honda is a way better made motorcycle but its Japanese and so perceived as not as well engineered as the Beemer ppft don't make me laugh :)

Totally agree on the Japanese quality and always had Honda fours as a boy - but they never made anything as beautiful as this :)

post-929-0-28087300-1371590261.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 0
Norton.....the great British oil leak :laugh: :laugh:

About 40 years ago I was offered a Vincent Black Knight for £400,but to me then that was an awful lot of money. I paid £35 for a Venom in 1969, I should have kept it plus other bikes I used to have, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I couldn't call myself an ardent admirer of the Japanese by any stretch of the imagination. There engineering skills are however among the worlds best. Race car hardware, electronics, shipbuilding spring to mind. As far as i can tell Browning = historic name & ageless original design. Miroku = investment, quality control, perseverance. I don't own one but I would not be unhappy if I did. Hope iv'e not strayed to far from original topic.

Strangely the Norton was not a bad oil leaker! Now your Matchless, Triumph, BSA and many others err get the red Hermitite out! I remember stripping some of the older triumphs and the painstaking removal of Hermitite followed by re-application when rebuilding... happy days! I must say the I am not concerned with old British bikes now but I assume that the new silicon rubber sealing materials must have made oil leaking a thing of the past? Anyway this is off topic sorry:)

Let us get one thing straight and crystal clear. The Germans & Japanese are not as good as British craftsmen.

Where they have succeeded is in investment in new technology and a work ethic.

We Brits are basically a lazy race, relying on benefit and handouts. We only succeed when our backs are against the wall.

Lord Digby Jones is a prime example of a captain of British Industry who has lost the tiller.

Twenty years ago he encouraged GKN to scrap their Nut & Bolt industry and give the machinery to India ( guess where bolts now come from)

He suggested we invest in Silicone and Technology and scrap manufacturing.

Now he's suggesting we get back into manufacturing.

I have been fortunate to have worked with Mr. Honda more than forty years ago  ( what a man!)

Are you aware that much of the brains at Honda, Toyota, Porsche, Ferrari are British?????

Salopian, I would agree 100% the British perform best when they are backs to the wall, none better. I also know a bit about the sorry story of GKN & others who we were told we didn't need anymore. Now we have to import the stuff instead, what a balls up.

There are numerous examples of superb British design & engineering throughout our history No question. Brains at Toyota,Porsche, Ferrari? some I grant you, but all of those companies have a record of designing a product, marketing it well & maintaining acceptable quality control. That's where we appear to go wrong with our own stuff. Oh how I wish we could go back to my youth when our great manufacturing industry literally sent top quality ships, aircraft, locomotives _ _ _ _ all over the world.

Michael you can rest assured we do live in the best country in all of the World. I was once asked by a television journalist, " Of all the countries you have visited and worked in, which one would you like to live in ?"   Answer :-  " England, Shropshire, and I do! " 

Here is a pub quiz question " Where in the World are there two World class Sporting venues together that both break acceptable noise levels?"

Ummm.... it's a Vincent Black Shadow and it could leak oil on my driveway any time it likes ;-)
And this man had one called Armageddon :)

post-929-0-09306200-1371674041.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
I've The Ogri Collection book and the Ogri Collection No2 in mint condition gathering dust in my bookcase, let me know if you are interested.

Latest posts

Back