Cartridge choice

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd agree hamster, if you feel you need 6.5 to break a clay then I think your going to need it thru a full choke

2.5mm shot is also enforced for Olympic disciplines in 24 gram. rigidly checked and enforced,   like Fitasc ,but not every shooter,, mostly random.

had a guy banned  a few years ago, was 2nd on the pan African, used new components, but in a recycled case. made up by a factory type setup, not a homeload !

Back to the original theme of the thread, I'm a big believer in the KISS principle when it comes to clay shooting i.e. "Keep It Simple, Stupid". Over complicating the shot with a multitude of variables will detract from the key task of the target itself. With that in mind 99.9% of my shooting is done with hull pro one 8's through 1/2 and 1/2 chokes. On the very rare occasion that I see a monster target showing no belly i do have some FITASC 7's at hand, but given the rarity of these targets these days that is very much the exception to the rule. Just my humble opinion.  

:fie:  You don't need tighter choke you need striking energy which is what 6.5's will give you.

If you need the striking energy of a 6.5 your talking 60yards+ your going to need choke to hold your pattern together

6.5 one shot size larger than the most commonly used 7.5
The 6.5 will shoot a little tighter but with 100 pellets less without tight chokes pattern is going to be very sparse hell even with full choke 60yard patterns are sparse

Safe to say most of your shell choices will be better than all of us at 60 yards!

Yes all shells are better than me I have no illusions about that,

At Olympic trap and abt yes. Lower recoil generally faster general tighter pattern what's not to like.

Well I only shoot trap so have no idea about sporting targets all I can say is that 24g kill edge on ot targets at 50 yds no problem pattern generally tighter and recoil is notably lower so second barrel target aquisition is better. I would try a few and test with 24 in first barel and your usual 28 in second see if you can tell any difference.

thanks for response ,just wondered if I was the only one useing them for fitasc as a preference ?

if you would , what would you use?
Bobby Bruce, a Scottish Vet team member, has been shooting 24g Grand Italia and Pro Extra due to a sore shoulder over the winter FITASC series, you would never know he was shooting 24g loads by his breaks...1/4 or 1/2 choke at distance on edgy clays his breaks are crushing!!!

Bobby Bruce, a Scottish Vet team member, has been shooting 24g Grand Italia and Pro Extra due to a sore shoulder over the winter FITASC series, you would never know he was shooting 24g loads by his breaks...1/4 or 1/2 choke at distance on edgy clays his breaks are crushing!!!
There you go then.

James

Have you shot 24 at sporting ?

What are your thoughts on it. The future or not ?

Latest posts

Back