CPSA V BASC

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

General Skanky

I'm currently with BASC and have a separate insurance to protect my certificate.

Has anyone switched from one to the other and for what reason please?

From what I can see, BASC is more environmental, and I get concessions/free entry to a lot of events, and CPSA s about competitions and clubs.

Both do courses.

It's not an issue till next year, so just wondering.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I've always been with cpsa even though I shoot game, years ago I shot competitions so started with cpsa and stuck with them even though I don't shoot competitions now 👍
Insurance aside, any benefit with CPSA? Invites to events or something like that?

Not really. The only thing it's good for is tracking your scores if you are a competition shooter. If I wasn't a comp shooter I think I'd probably choose BASC over the CPSA, at least BASC gets you free tickets to the Game Fair.
The Game Fair is worth a bit by itself.

BASC have some good discount deals on cars ( currently 10% on a Hilux 12% on a RAV4 for example ) , also 4 times the membership of the CPSA , so are more likely to be able to attract freebies like the game fair and northern shooting show . Their free magazine is pretty good . However its aim is to represent live quarry shooting , which may or may not be an issue depending on your personal ethics . CPSA chance to shoot some brilliant big championship courses even if you haven’t got a prayer , the events can brilliant .

Ps don’t shoot comps any more , I’m with BASC ,

Last edited:
I'm with both BASC and WCTSA, Wales specific version of CPSA currently (BASC x 3 actually through various syndicates and clubs) as I shoot both live quarry and competitions.

I wouldn't be with any of them were it not for the insurances provided and the competition shooting element. WCTSA provides nothing other than a competition number and insurance. I think the shooters selected to represent Wales have to fully fund themselves for international events so I'm not sure where the membership fees and levies go.

The BASC magazine is ok-ish for lighting the log fire and thats about it. 90% adverts and the occasional shooting relevant article. I make use of the small discount for working dog insurance with Agria that comes with the BASC membership but I'm sure I could source insurance elsewhere if I wanted to save £2-3 per month...

IMO BASC are in it for the big bag commercial shooting only. They have a passing interest in other parts of fieldsports to retain the membership numbers.

Last edited:
I'm with both BASC and WCTSA, Wales specific version of CPSA currently (BASC x 3 actually through various syndicates and clubs) as I shot both live quarry and competitions.

I wouldn't be with any of them were it not for the insurances provided and the competition shooting element. WCTSA provides nothing other than a competition number and insurance. I think the shooters selected to represent Wales have to fully fund themselves for international events so I'm not sure where the membership fees and levies go.

The BASC magazine is ok-ish for lighting the log fire and thats about it. 90% adverts and the occasional shooting relevant article. I make use of the small discount for working dog insurance with Agria that comes with the BASC membership but I'm sure I could source insurance elsewhere if I wanted to save £2-3 per month...

IMO BASC are in it for the big bag commercial shooting only. They have a passing interest in other parts of fieldsports to retain the membership numbers.
Agreed

Choose which fits you best, if you mainly do clay shooting and especially if you want to get into Country or National competition with rankings etc then the CPSA is the way to go. If not and live quarry is your thing then BASC

This is the CPSA insurance detail if you are a full member (copied and pasted):

Authorised activities of the CPSA are:- Clay Target Shooting; Game Shooting; Rough Shooting; Pest/Vermin Control; Wild Fowling; Rifle Shooting (including Stalking); Muzzle Loading (including Black Powder); Beating & Loading; Angling from Dry Land (including wading); Air Weapon Shooting (including FAC rated); Archery; Crossbow Shooting (inc FAC); The ownership, cleaning and maintenance of legally held firearms and ammunition.

We mainly shoot clay and so I couldn't justify the cost of BASC and the limited insurance anymore. Much prefer the CPSA magazine to the BASC one (IMHO).

Latest posts

Back