Fancying a Semi, either a Maxus or an A400 Excel

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sorry david i disagree .. the benelli supersport has less recoil than the beretta a400 (having owned both).. can't speak of the other benellis but the supersport does have less

Last edited by a moderator:
disagree all you like jinxy having shot the AL391 regularly for years and shot the Benelli supersprot there is no contest the BENELLI shook me up so hard that i couldnt shoot more than 15 rounds through it

No matter what recoil system they put in the stock the energy still whacks the shoulder a lot harder than any gas operated system

Recoil is funny. I recently had a good shot find mirage T3 thumpy. They do burn for longer rather than go 'snap', so I guess it is how you pick up on that.. Maybe the semi-autos are different in characteristic.

I've always thought the benellis bang like hell, partly because they are far too light for clays but also due to the nature of the inertia system.

And hammy- I have a 32" beretta 391 trap auto which I use for pigeon, auto shoots and this year will be doing the beretta work with. I've turned it into a cracking shooting bit o kit!

Being a simple chap I dont get into the technicalities of cartridge contents but I did test both options

Being usually lighter than O/U,s the recoil can sometimes be more apparent with a semi auto when using heavier loads , the load put through them obviously has an effect, I find load for load the Beretta is kinder on my shoulder, I tried the Benelli supersport with 21grams ( recycling was patchy) 24grams (OK ) 28 grams no problem but there was no discernable relief from the recoil ??

In my 391 21grams cycle no problem as do the other loads at 21 grams it is like shooting a pop gun hardly any felt recoil 24 grams slightly more but not enough to feel any discomfort and at 28 grams perfectly acceptable

Being pedantic (I know how unsusual for me, you are thinking!) the BENELLI is a fine gun but more geared to the younger shooter

the gas operated Beretta whether by design or default is in my opinion more aligned to the older shooters among us who may have physical issues with regular repeated use of the gun with reasonably heavy loads.

I can vouch for that, ;) it's also the only semi you can buy as a Trap gun over here :frown: ! I got mine brand new but sold it soon after as it just isn't up to the grade for feed issues compared to the newer models.
just needed time to wear it in :)

mines a 1972 model which ive had for 20+ years and i cant remember the last misfire or jam ive had with it.

saw plenty of beretta jams at the benelli!

Ive seen plenty of firing pin faults in o/u,s over the years so what? every gun make and model has issues whether they are wear and tear or just poor design some semi autos can jam, I have never found it to be a big problem with beretta

I've always thought the benellis bang like hell, partly because they are far too light for clays but also due to the nature of the inertia system.

And hammy- I have a 32" beretta 391 trap auto which I use for pigeon, auto shoots and this year will be doing the beretta work with. I've turned it into a cracking shooting bit o kit!
No question Benneli's kick more precisely for the reasons you give.

I tried to order a new Beretta semi in Trap configuration but was told they only did these for the US market, yours must be a one off, would love to have a go with it one day.

It's one of the older ones (far better than the new stuff in my book), but there are very very few of them about. Step rib, 32", adj comb, lengthened stock, weighted at the back and with a 10oz briley weight at the pointy and coupled with a nice ported 3/4 in the end. Shoots very smooth.

Next time there is a meet up that isn't in the obligatory far south and you can make it I will bring it along!

Bought it in the states. Had ordered a mag cap from Potters which was meant to arrive in 3 weeks. That passed about 6 weeks ago!

I think that recoil is a very subjective and personal thing and its effect can be affected by lots of things including mount,fit, the shooters build and cartridge characteristics.

I have used autos for most of my shooting life for two reasons,I like the way they feel and the lack of recoil from gas autos.

When I have had o/u's and shot a 100 shells plus then I have usually had some after effects from recoil but never from an auto including going back to the days when 32gm was the norm.

I have only owned Beretta autos but have shot the Benelli versions but found them to much more 'thumpy' to shoot than Beretta's.

Auto's are usually lighter than an o/u if only because they only have one barrel,the exception is probably Remingtons which are,in some people's opinion the nicest handling autos.

I currently use a Beretta Outlander auto for clays which is a game gun weighing only seven pounds but it is very soft shooting and I would recommend it to anyone thinking of buying an auto.

Vic.

I've always thought the benellis bang like hell, partly because they are far too light for clays but also due to the nature of the inertia system. And hammy- I have a 32" beretta 391 trap auto which I use for pigeon, auto shoots and this year will be doing the beretta work with. I've turned it into a cracking shooting bit o kit!
As per Ed and David B, the Benelli's knock me about big time. Being 6' 5" and 20+ stone i'm not slight either!

I have put 250-300 shells through my AL391 Urika Teknys in a day without issue.

Jon.

Bought it in the states. Had ordered a mag cap from Potters which was meant to arrive in 3 weeks. That passed about 6 weeks ago!
briley won't ship to uk outside of potter either unless he refuses to order something :angry:

http://www.pshqeurope.com/barrel-weights-and-mag-cap-weights.aspx will import to the U.K.

Here is an excellent article on semi auto actions http://www.chuckhawks.com/autoloading_shotgun_actions.htm

The Beretta autoloaders are the most reliable ever made. A proper preparation by wetting every metal part with BreakFree and the shotgun will work flawlesly.

Here are a few pictures of my 2003 391 that has never been cleanned. If I am encoutering wet or snowy weather, I spray some BreakFree on the action bar and shell lifter, plus coat the outside of the barrel. It is mostly used to shoot game therefore the hunting ammo got the shotgun a bit deartier than my previous long term test on my 390 (uncleanned for 25,024 and just 20 FTF):

IMG_2282.jpg

IMG_2280.jpg

IMG_2279.jpg

As a competition gun the 391 takes some beating, it's very realiable, handles well, the balance can be adjusted and it has a decent trigger. I tried some other brands of autos in a gunshop and there was one or two where the trigger pull exceded the weight of the gun.

Years ago I used to shoot a Remington 1100/1187 but I became fed up with poor realibility and constant breakages, I bought a 303 Beretta, then a 391 and I now have a Teknys Stonecoat Gold sporter which is really soft to shoot and no FTF at all, even with 21gm loads with which it feels like a .22.

Latest posts

Back