Hello from not so sunny Sussex.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bebo

Hi all, I'm a novice clay shooter (first time I ever held a shot gun was six months ago) and have only started shooting regularly a couple of months ago.  Really enjoying it even though I miss more than I hit.

Hi Bebo, only a month or so in front of you. Seriously hooked with this great sport. There are loads of knowledgeable shooters on the forum so if you can't find what you want just ask  :sclerosis:

Key to this sport (and the Forum) is simply ENJOY! :D

I've been shooting for two years and still miss more than I hit, but I'm still a lot better than when I started and continue to improve slowly - I think if you start younger then you improve quicker (faster reactions, better eyesight and better memory)

Tim

I've been shooting for two years and still miss more than I hit, but I'm still a lot better than when I started and continue to improve slowly - I think if you start younger then you improve quicker (faster reactions, better eyesight and better memory)

Tim
Tim, to progress (assuming there is no particular issue such a physical one) there are two basic things needed. First, shoot often enough to build the knowledge. Once a month is nowhere near enough. Secondly, make sure you shoot where you can either get good tips or at least watch some good shots so you have some decent examples to follow.

Obviously coaching with good instructors is the best option, but fair inexpensive progress should come with the above..

Thanks CleverSC3 I haven't shot since early Jan but I'll be picking it up again from next w/e with a shoot with a colleague at High Lodge and a lesson there on 2nd March.  I'm hoping to improve my hit rate on quartering birds and put an end to a perennial problem I have with 'stopping the gun' when I see the right lead picture.  I usually like to shoot at least twice a month - much more often would be pushing the W.A.F.

Tim

Thanks CleverSC3 I haven't shot since early Jan but I'll be picking it up again from next w/e with a shoot with a colleague at High Lodge and a lesson there on 2nd March.  I'm hoping to improve my hit rate on quartering birds and put an end to a perennial problem I have with 'stopping the gun' when I see the right lead picture.  I usually like to shoot at least twice a month - much more often would be pushing the W.A.F.

Tim
Good, enjoy the lesson.

To offer (possibly wrong for your issue) tips on the two issues:

Basic method for quartering birds is to come from behind the target, then shoot at the leading edge as you pass through it. Adjust the speed of the gun for the angle. Nice and steady if it is not crossing much etc.. Don't stop the gun as you fire of course.

With almost every clay, you have to tell yourself that you will be shooting at the kill point about 75% of the way through your swing. I.e 25% of the swing remains after shooting. Get your brain off the thought that he movement ends with a shot.

The above are standard tips, I haven't seen what you are doing, so take with pinch of salt if needed! (Or they might be just what what you need).

Tim
I'm no teenager so I won't expect my progress to be quick!  I am going weekly so getting quite a lot of practice in.  I've gone from struggling with everything to having some targets that I hit more than half the time (teals, quartering and driven birds I mostly get).  There are still lots that I rarely hit, mostly those that are further away, especially battues (I managed to hit my first one of these last Friday).

Good, enjoy the lesson.

To offer (possibly wrong for your issue) tips on the two issues:

Basic method for quartering birds is to come from behind the target, then shoot at the leading edge as you pass through it. Adjust the speed of the gun for the angle. Nice and steady if it is not crossing much etc.. Don't stop the gun as you fire of course.

With almost every clay, you have to tell yourself that you will be shooting at the kill point about 75% of the way through your swing. I.e 25% of the swing remains after shooting. Get your brain off the thought that he movement ends with a shot.

The above are standard tips, I haven't seen what you are doing, so take with pinch of salt if needed! (Or they might be just what what you need).
Thanks Clever SC3 I shall put both of those into practice on Sunday, we usually finish with a light hearted round of skeet if we have time so maybe I can practice quartering birds there.  I also need to work on shooting under targets as for some strange reason I have a real problem with this.

Tim

Thanks Clever SC3 I shall put both of those into practice on Sunday, we usually finish with a light hearted round of skeet if we have time so maybe I can practice quartering birds there.  I also need to work on shooting under targets as for some strange reason I have a real problem with this.

Tim
Good. Just remember, 'quartering' is a matter of degree. You will see some leeed if its almost a crosser. For example, stations 3 4 and 5.

As for shooting under, I assume you mean to avoid missing above? To shoot 'at' a target, you still need to see it on top of the rib, not block it out with the barrels. All assuming you and your gun are conventionally set up.

Latest posts

Back