Help....What first gun?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyp330

Hi all,

Problem. ...what first gun. Go for the much talked about 692 gold e or a new 696 silver pigeon. Like that idea if only for warrenty!!!

Not sure if you  know, but it's not unusual for new shooters to want to change their 1st gun within a year.

Therefore whichever gun/brand you go for, you should consider looking at a decent used one. That way, when you come to swap you'll loose far less wonga.

Try to shoot a few guns if you can, there's nothing wrong with the two guns you've mentioned. But different guns feel and shoot differently. You may prefer a different brand once you've tried a few out.

Having said that, you'll not go far wrong with the usual suspects, ie Browning/Miroku/Beretta.

Cheers Finners, as I was looking in my local dealers and he said 'depends on your budget new or used but why buy a used gun for a year then sell it to buy a new gun and learn that gun allover again! ' can see his point but my head says it the salesman in him.....

Hi all,

Problem. ...what first gun. Go for the much talked about 692 gold e or a new 696 silver pigeon. Like that idea if only for warrenty!!!
All great guns. 

The Silver Pigeon is a capable gun, I have one.  It is slightly less dedicated than the other choices, as a true "Clay Buster".

The Gold E, is the clay busting tool of choice for many and has proven itself.

The 692 is the newer, replacement for the Gold E...I like it, some don't, but again...very capable and designed for shooting lots of shells at lots of clays.

You wont go far wrong with a used version of any of them.  I would get one with an adjustable stock, so that with that and fiddling with the butt pad, you can get a decent enough fit.

Have a look on GunTrader.co.uk at the various available ones in your area (wherever that is).

686 Silver Pigeon 1 Sporter

Main-Banner-686-SP1-Sporting1.jpg

682 Gold E Sporter

beretta-682-gold-e-sporting.jpg

692 Sporting

692_zoom002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers Finners, as I was looking in my local dealers and he said 'depends on your budget new or used but why buy a used gun for a year then sell it to buy a new gun and learn that gun allover again! ' can see his point but my head says it the salesman in him.....
Simply. A new SP is about £1500 or so. After a year it will be worth about £1100. A used one at about £800-900 will still be worth £750 - 800 (more or less) after the same year. They will both shoot the same, you'd be better off spending the spare few hundred on lessons and cartridges.

Also a new shooter, provided you're more or less average dimensionally, you should be perfectly able to shoot to a reasonable standard with pretty much any gun handed too you. But, after a while and once you have developed your style a little and learnt a bit more, you will almost certainly decide/realise that you "need" a particuar gun.

It might have longer barrels, or more sophisticated chokes, or more suited to the particular discipline you prefer (this could go on quite a bit)

This sport is very easy to figure out. Simply look at the top 10 shooters and find which is the definitive correct gun for success. :banghead:   :sarcastichand:

It is personal; but the main thing (which nobody will want to accept) is that in your first year you will be a fairly clueless movable feast. You just won't know what gun really suits you until you have shot about 10,000 cartridges. So do that with a sensible used tool that you will likely replace / upgrade. (Good advice from many who have done similar).

This sport is very easy to figure out. Simply look at the top 10 shooters and find which is the definitive correct gun for success. :banghead:   :sarcastichand:
Agreed.  Probably the easiest approach, would be to go for a Berrazoukoff F380 Impact

Clever, looking at the top ten shooters guns is probably a sound idea, BUT was the Perazzi sc3 your FIRST  gun ?
My joke was that the top ten probably show a list of 7 or 8 different guns.. So there is no magic gun.

My first gun was very inappropriate 28" silver pigeon game. Soon got advised to change it.

Second gun was Browning 525 sporter. Should have stayed with it for longer.

Third gun was K80 Supersport, because top boys use them and surely you can buy a better score. Persevered for 18 months before realising we weren't best friends after all.

Fourth gun was the P. Shot it ill-fitting for 4 years before thinning the comb. Now it's only slightly ill-fitting. Added Isis pad, then Isis System.

Fifth gun not been bought. The idea is nagging at me a bit, for no good reason.

Yep. been there, done that, etc. etc.  Try looking for another 525, it worked for me with my current Miroku. I would not part with it now, probably shooting better than all of the other things put together. My ex  'P' is currently being used by someone on here and he has been struggling with it too.         johnyp    TAKE NOTE. 

I'm with westley on the Mirook.

Get yourself a second hand MK38 and never look back.

Job done  :hunter:

As an 'expert' shooter with a massive 4 months experience all I can add is:

1. Listen to all the good advice above

2. Find a good gun shop with a good selection and try a few and then buy a good quality 2nd hand gun.

3. Then practice, practice, practice

That's what I did and it is working out very well for me, I just need to shoot better!

PS: another vote for Miroku

Like I've said before, I wish I had bought a used gun. I bought a new gd1 MK38 but could've bought a used Grade 5 one (nicer looking wood and engraving) for only a couple of hundred pounds more. Wouldn't make me shoot better but I'd have less gun envy when I see all the other guns at grounds.

What can I say, but many thanks to all that gave their input. I was leaning towards the two guns I mentioned only after reading about them on this forum. :)

so to recap... try a few, see how they feel, dont look at the big image of the top guns and buy a decent second hand one.

Many thanks ;)

What can I say, but many thanks to all that gave their input. I was leaning towards the two guns I mentioned only after reading about them on this forum. :)

so to recap... try a few, see how they feel, dont look at the big image of the top guns and buy a decent second hand one.

Many thanks ;)
Good..the only point to clarify: Buy from somebody who understands clay shooting because you will need them to check fit etc. The opinion of the inexperienced purchaser alone is usually not helpful. Take guidance too.

Why not post the area you are from. You never know it may lead to meeting someone from here at a local ground where you can try some of the various makes of gun and even where to obtain your first gun. Don't ask, don't get ! I for one,  am always prepared to assist newcomers to the sport.

Cheers Westley. Thanks for that.

im in east London.

and go regular to either rectory farm, Enfield or A1 shooting ground

Latest posts

Back