Help....What first gun?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This sport is very easy to figure out. Simply look at the top 10 shooters and find which is the definitive correct gun for success. :banghead:   :sarcastichand:

).
In which discipline...?

:laugh:

What can I say, but many thanks to all that gave their input. I was leaning towards the two guns I mentioned only after reading about them on this forum. :)

so to recap... try a few, see how they feel, dont look at the big image of the top guns and buy a decent second hand one.

Many thanks ;)
Now't wrong with the guns you have mentioned :good: But, in essence what we are all really trying to say, is that the choice of the best gun for you, is possibly best made, or at least informed by someone who has more experience. Most of us on here only know this from our own first gun choices :haha:

You've not said what type of shooting you are thinking about. Do you know yet? I'm assuming it going to be predominantly clays? If so, are you likely to veer towards Trap shooting or Skeet or Sporting? This could affect the type of gun best for you.

You have mentioned warranty. Have to say in my experience (I'm not a top shot like some of the peeps on here, but I have been shooting for nearly 30 years) guns are pretty reliable on the whole, so provided you buy one that spares are readily available for, and it's from a reputable source, you should be OK.

I would also happily invite you to join me at our shoot, but I'm possible too far away to help.

Finners,

still not sure what route to go down but will be clays for sure
Well, I guess you know that there are "Trap" guns and "Sporting" guns? 

If you're not sure, possible best to be looking at Multi Choke Sporters with an adjustable comb as a starting point then. They are generally more of an all rounder than dedicated Trap models.

I'm thinking something like a Browning Ultra XS maybe? 

Being a competition gun would that not be a few steps to soon??
To be homest, I was thinking out aloud saying that. Trouble is, it depends on too many variables, that's why people have suggested you get yourself along to a good gunroom and/or try a few out.

But as a guide, if you went out and bought a decent gun (something like the Ultra XS) you can grow into it, and are therefore less likely to want/need to swap it. Too many people go out and buy a lightweight gun (they often feel and therefore seem better) or perhaps a cheaper brand and then regret it.

However, the main thing is to get some proper face to face advice from someone who knows what they are doing and don't just want to shift a gun off their shelf.

I don't know any places in your neck of the woods, but someone on here should be able to point you in the right direction.

The fact that you're asking means you're far less likey to end up with a dud :good:

Johnny. What gun have you been shooting at Enfield and A1?

Can I suggest that whatever type/brand of gun you have been using there might be a good choice for a 1st gun? At least you will have had some experience with it...

Funny you ask....

A1 ive used a beretta not sure of model

enfield I've used the browning!!

Shot both epually as well as the other

been to enfield several times more than A1 so more time with the browning

which did you prefer the feel and looks of when shooting?

Once you've answered that question, go and buy one in second hand. When you want to change in a year or so time, any 2nd hand Miroku/Browning or Beretta will probably sell for what you paid for it.

Thats a fair point . probably the browningto be honest. Next time I'm over there will find out the model.

Thats a fair point . probably the browningto be honest. Next time I'm over there will find out the model.
Try and a chap called terry over at A1 he is an instructor and should be able to do a gunfit session for you can't miss him big chap with a silver Great Wall steed pickup iirc

Ive seen wayne for my lessons there. Nice guy, sorted out my left or right shooting as was ambidextrous .

think the technical term was cac-handed!

But will look out for Terry.

Then that's what, in your position, I would head towards.

Plenty of good second hand models around to choose from, where you'll loose nowt of you trade in/up after a year or so.

Right eye dominant

left handed!

If you was to hand me a shotgun I'd accept it left handed ready to shot. But it felt strange. So tried it right handed felt ok continued till I met wayne at A1 I asked him the same questions and we finally came the same conclusion of being a lefty.

Right eye dominant

left handed!

If you was to hand me a shotgun I'd accept it left handed ready to shot. But it felt strange. So tried it right handed felt ok continued till I met wayne at A1 I asked him the same questions and we finally came the same conclusion of being a lefty.
Shoot right handed much better choice of guns, cheaper and matches eye dominance (this is from a rightie with dom left eye that shoots lefty.....) takes 2-3 weeks to swap over as you are new it will be easy wait 2/3/10 years and it will be much much harder!

Of 12 gauge OU shotguns on gun trader (biggest list of guns for sale in the uk ) there are 3741 right handed guns (cast off) and 276 Lefthanded (cast on)

THis one does look good but all depends on fit http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Beretta_Shotgun_687_For-Sale_140419114229001 

Or for a more modest budget http://www.gunwatch.co.uk/guns/10040-Lanber-sporting-delux-m-c-l-h-for-sale

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh crap this harder than I thought. I finally felt sorted left handed ..

Best to buy a right handed gun or a ambidextrous gun ?

I read somewhere that a r/h gun could still be used by a l/h shooter?

So the ones at the club are ambidextrous?

Latest posts

Back