hey and starting competitions

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well being a sporting shooter,i like to have a go at dtl,osk and ot at least once a month,it keeps you in good form for sporting and vice versa,would anyone agree with that

Gun-down skeet gets your feet, gunmount and gunfit right. DTL gives you pre-shot routine and how to finish off a stand without missing. OT teaches that you'll be punished for your weak points and you'd better get it right. Sporting has the most talented shooters in the country but the Olympic disciplines have the funding [only for podium potential athletes]. You too can be funded but you've got to get in the top three first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gun-down skeet gets your feet, gunmount and gunfit right. DTL gives you pre-shot routine and how to finish off a stand without missing. OT teaches that you'll be punished for your weak points and you'd better get it right. Sporting has the most talented shooters in the country but the Olympic disciplines have the funding [only for podium potential athletes]. You too can be funded but you've got to get in the top three first.
That's all very true Fred. But I reckon you went a bit light on OT though. OT won't just "punish" you for your weak points, it will bloody well "destroy" you at times! As I know only too well. It is one son of a bitch of a discipline, but I love it all the same, you get NO easy birds on OT at all, well I don't! :.: :.:

Too many give up as you know Les at the first hurdle. I suppose you should climb low mountains first. We've had many junior world champions but in 70 years never a OT or OS World Champion male or female. I'd like to see the first.

Too many give up as you know Les at the first hurdle. I suppose you should climb low mountains first. We've had many junior world champions but in 70 years never a OT or OS World Champion male or female. I'd like to see the first.
A mate of mine that shoots DTL decided to try OT at Bisley one day, he didn't even see the first five birds let alone shoot at them! :.: He ended up hitting six out of twenty five and vowed never to shoot it again! And as far as I know he never has, it's about time someone got more young shooters into the Olympic diciplines Fred.The UK seems far more fixed on sporting these days, more so than when I first started clay shooting. I guess we could do with a few more role models such as Jackie Stewart (racing driver and OT shooter) and Bob Braithwaite, both first class OT shooters, not to mention guys like Ian Peel. Pete Croft and Pete Boden. :)

Best advice is to go along to a local CPSA registered shoot. Have a look around and a chat to the staff, then give it a go. Nothing odd to know and much easier to see it for yourself.

Maybe walk around and watch a few stands before you enter.

Any specific questions after, all the answers are on here.

Best of luck!
hi, i still need to go to a competition to see what it is like. Can i go to the competition have a look round then register or do you have to register before hand, and if you do have to register before hand do you just ring up etc ???

Thanks Tom

Sorry, to answer you more fully, most competitions require no booking in, just turn up and buy a score card. SOME need you to book in by phone a day at least before you go. Call the ground and see what they do it.

Latest posts

Back