Internet Service Providers

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VicW

I am currently with Virgin Media but they are going to concentrate on their Cable customers and are passing their other customers over to TalkTalk. Whatever I do I will eventually have to get a new email address.

My options are : Stick with the TalkTalk transfer entirely but at an as yet unknown cost, or Change to BT who I use for my phone, or Go broadband with TalkTalk and open a GMail account for email.

Do any of you kind folks have any experience of BT,or TalkTalk, or GMail ?

We can get connected to a fibre optic land line.

Vic.

Talk talk win worst customer service provider awards, and my mum had hell of a bother with them. She was left without service for 3 months.

Gmail is a great free mail service. In fact all the bingle apps are bob on.

Talk Talk -  several friends have had problems and on a Business line as well.

BT -  no issues at all, you will need a BT email account to manage/register the account.

But, I use an Outlook account for all emails which removes the problem of an internet supplier linked account.  I was with gmail but moved, personal choice, to MS 365 package with a Windows phone that just connects everything to all my devices seamlessly. Even gives me a 1TB storage on the cloud drive.

Talk Talk has been my broadband suppliers since they bought out Tiscali....I have not had any problems with them.

Emails accounts are all on Exchange now....which cuts loads of time out...I can delete from anywhere :wink:

I'm with BT, apart from problems with their customer services being in India and sometimes struggling to get them to understand you, they have been perfectly fine. I've got them for Internet, TV and phone.

I used to be with Virgin when I lived with my Dad, found them to be perfect if you have the highest Internet package they offer, anything less and I had loads of problems.

Mother uses TalkTalk, they don't seem to have any problems either. I suppose it's all down to personal choice, I like to have everything with one company.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been with BT for years, just because I don't like all the fannying around changing everything!  Been great so far.  On the two occasions I lost broadband, they were on it right away and got it sorted.

Recently went over to Infinity when it became available, and it's sooooo fast!  Downloaded a 53 minute TV program in about 4 seconds!  Astonishing.

I will say though, that I've heard horror stories about ALL the providers, so I think it's a bit of pot luck.  Good luck, Vic!

I've been with BT for years, just because I don't like all the fannying around changing everything!  Been great so far.  On the two occasions I lost broadband, they were on it right away and got it sorted.

Recently went over to Infinity when it became available, and it's sooooo fast!  Downloaded a 53 minute TV program in about 4 seconds!  Astonishing.

I will say though, that I've heard horror stories about ALL the providers, so I think it's a bit of pot luck.  Good luck, Vic!
You must have missed the final of strictly come dancing as well. I won't say who won in case you haven't watched it yet.

BT for the win, been with them for years :good:  

Also agree, use Hotmail or similar then no need to swap/loose email accounts if you leave the IP in the future. 

BT for me... solid, fast and reliable. The router is also good, you get what you pay for. 

Gmail is NOT an ISP, but an email provider.... if you are going to change ISP's with any frequency (moving around or hunting deals) then I'd recommend getting a gmail (or outlook or yahoo etc) address which can move with you. 

Bt for me but I'm a bit biased as I manage the build on their FTTP networks

Talk Talk, never again ..... 

Came back to BT after a very long time with Be there (best ISP ever)  

Infinity is quick, but still cant get the speed they said i would ! 

Sky has non gigabit  home routers, so no good to me

:santa:

I worked on the basis BT seem to own the infrastructure and Infinity gives me a reliable service - typically 47mbps down and about 7mbps up.

No complaints from me :)

Virgin Media for me for Broadband, TV and Phone and been with them since they first cabled with optical fibre when they were Eurobell years ago and much cheaper for business broadband if you need leased lines between branches.

Very good all round service.

BT for me, really quick off the mark to sort things, been with them now for several years and no complaints......... 

Why are you limiting your choice to BT and Talk Talk? I'd have a look at PlusNet I've used them since I first got an internet connection. Ran all the XBOX Live beta testing through them, upgraded to fibre to the cabinet with them.

They are affiliated to BT so BT Sports is available although I don't pay any firm to watch sport. It's wrong.... 

They are affiliated to BT so BT Sports is available although I don't pay any firm to watch sport. It's wrong.... 
Would be interested to hear why you think it's wrong to pay to watch sport? 

I pay Sky & the BBC enough money without paying extra for sport. I'm not happy that the money I pay now goes to the extortionate rates of pay some of these top flight sports people get paid. It also encourages a pay per view delivery of services that I'd rather not encourage. I agree my stand is unlikely to make much difference but it makes me fell better.

I also no longer go to watch premier league football. Its 90 minutes of so called entertainment that in my opinion if way over priced. Some sports at the top level have lost all perspective of reality. My team went down the route of buying has been's and paying them fortunes to role around on the pitch. I voted with my feet and after many years as a season ticket holder have never been contacted by the club to enquire why I didn't renew. even when they stopped filling the ground.

I love the NHL but would be another £10 a month to follow.

I'd rather spend it taking part in my shooting sports and field trialing.

Rant Over

DavidJ, you are not alone!

I refuse to pay anything extra other than a licence fee. I only have Freeview.

I don't look at what I am missing so I don't miss it. I haven't got time to watch all that I might on Freeview alone so I'd just be paying extra to miss even more!

I do remember when there was only 3 channels (and they were black and white) so all this extra is a bonus. We never had a tv until I was 8 anyway so it's never ruled my life. ☺

Latest posts

Back