Ive Quit!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the topic of form and fit I can only suggest a perusal of those among the Olympic trap shooters.  They seem to be able to accommodate the ill fitting guns quite well.  There is that Solomons person that shows up here now and then who as well has managed to successfully contort himself into an ill fitting gun and to flinch into a FITASC World Championship or summit like that doing it.  I just have to wonder what kind of gains he might make with your guidance on fit and form?

I make no claim to any secret knowledge but I've noticed in the past that observing and emulating the best at whatever usually is a productive path.

JMO of course   YMMV

Last edited by a moderator:
Fred,

I have had a few of those 'Super Carp' guns over the years, BUT that is the first one that I have seen where the Manufacturers actually decreed it !     :angel:

That is just the point that I am trying to make Les, hence the current trend of high rib/comb guns that have suddenly appeared on the scene.  I raised a point recently regarding the late, great Bob Braithwaite. A short video footage of the man actually shooting, appeared on here. I raised the point that his head remained upright and he brought the stock to cheek and shoulder, a method that I have always used, regardless of the discipline being shot, and still do to this day. I too have had neck and shoulder problems recently, BUT they were due entirely to injuries sustained whilst working and NOT through shooting. Perhaps a change of discipline and the use of an auto, keeping your head still as you mount the gun, may persuade you to 'stay with us' for a while longer ? 
Yes Wes, my neck probs stem from an injury at work decades ago. Unfortunately my head down/forward mount has served to irritate the problem over the years.

Actually I've been having e mail conversations with my old physio who is also a shooter, he's now retired and in his late seventies. I've asked if there is any way around things to get shooting trap again, other than surgery. I'm now waiting for him to stop swearing at me and give me some sensible advice, fingers crossed. I'm having problems with the thought of never shooting trap again!

An English guy I shoot with down here has a Carrega Super Trap ... gun is immaculate but not totally original as he had it re-blacked. It is for sale though as he shoots another Browning B25 John Moses Browning... which is also immaculate... he had it re-blacked too but two amazing guns.

I shot my Browning XTR for the first time in over a year today in the absence of my Perazzi ... it is very different... started with a reasonable 22 but crashed and burned with a 19 :(  

On the topic of form and fit I can only suggest a perusal of those among the Olympic trap shooters.  They seem to be able to accommodate the ill fitting guns quite well.  There is that Solomons person that shows up here now and then who as well has managed to successfully contort himself into an ill fitting gun and to flinch into a FITASC World Championship or summit like that doing it.  I just have to wonder what kind of gains he might make with your guidance on fit and form?

I make no claim to any secret knowledge but I've noticed in the past that observing and emulating the best at whatever usually is a productive path.

JMO of course   YMMV
Judging by the number of high combed and ribbed guns that are now on the Trap scene AND that includes the Olympic Trap shooters, they must have some merit,  or they would, by now,  just be adorning the gun shop shelves. Oh, and it was JYO, of course, that suggested the 'ill fitting guns' in the first instance, I believe. I merely suggested that a more head up approach may be one answer to the damaged neck problems, the style adopted by Medal Winners of days gone by, using 32 gram cartridges too. I doubt that Mr. Solomons would agree with your interpretation of his gunfit, but he was using one of those German guns that you rate so highly. I totally agree with what you say about emulating the best, as I shoot mainly sporting, I am modelling myself on a multi World Champion. To date I have only concentrated on physique and I hope the shooting prowess will follow ! 

Serves you right, John, a Browning!  

Wazup with the Perazzi.  Getting it bored, choked and ported are you?
Nothing more than a it of stock work, which is being done by none other than Mutley ! You know it is not until you go back to using a lesser gun that you realise just how good a Perazzi is.  Don't get me wrong I am sure there are great B25's out there, in fact I know and excellent shot who swears by his but an XTR is no B25 and when you handle it open and close it then fire it you can understand why a MX8 costs three times as much to buy. It is a good gun ... but not that good .

Nothing more than a it of stock work, which is being done by none other than Mutley ! You know it is not until you go back to using a lesser gun that you realise just how good a Perazzi is.  Don't get me wrong I am sure there are great B25's out there, in fact I know and excellent shot who swears by his but an XTR is no B25 and when you handle it open and close it then fire it you can understand why a MX8 costs three times as much to buy. It is a good gun ... but not that good .
Well guys, just to poke my nose in here! The B25 is a wonderful gun, so is the Perazzi, but I must admit that if I were ever to buy a gun again it would be a humble Miroku. They are old tech, reasonably priced and shoot well, they also seem to go on for ever without major problems. Just my opinion of course.?

Well guys, just to poke my nose in here! The B25 is a wonderful gun, so is the Perazzi, but I must admit that if I were ever to buy a gun again it would be a humble Miroku. They are old tech, reasonably priced and shoot well, they also seem to go on for ever without major problems. Just my opinion of course.?

I had same opinion many years ago Les :wink:

See these guys that give up shooting and then start laying out what gun they would have :)   Each to their own as they say Les I would not go past a Perazzi now regardless of their issues... none of which have affected my gun as yet!

See these guys that give up shooting and then start laying out what gun they would have :)   Each to their own as they say Les I would not go past a Perazzi now regardless of their issues... none of which have affected my gun as yet!
Issues??  Of course they've not affected your gun.  You actually care for those things important to you.  That can make a real difference I've noticed.

and on the gun fit front - I have a feeling that there has been a disconnect somewhere but since that topic has been hammered so hard so often I just don't seem to be able to get worried about it

All y'all have a great time shooting, or not, anything ya like any way you like.  Even Brownings and Mirokus.

Issues??  Of course they've not affected your gun.  You actually care for those things important to you.  That can make a real difference I've noticed.

and on the gun fit front - I have a feeling that there has been a disconnect somewhere but since that topic has been hammered so hard so often I just don't seem to be able to get worried about it

All y'all have a great time shooting, or not, anything ya like any way you like.  Even Brownings and Mirokus.
Charlie when I mention issues I can only think of one and that is leaf springs breaking. I have had one break but I have no idea how old that spring was as I bought the gun second hand and I had shot the gun for almost two years @ 10k shells per year . The Perazzi shotgun is a competition gun and needs to be treated as you would anything you would use in a competition... make sure it is ready for said competition.  I personally notice the quality that you don't get with a Browning XTR or a Miroku just opening and closing the gun when it comes to trigger pulls with a Perazzi you enter heaven.

Gun fit ... my coach told me my stock was not high enough in the comb and was hampering my shooting said I was making decent scores in spite of that. We stuck a piece of foam rubber to the top of the comb to check his theory and straight off I was hammering the targets centre pattern.. so he was right about that. A Perazzi does not look proper with a bit of foam rubber tacked onto the stock so I have had it fitted with a comb height adjuster which should eliminate any problems.

Mutley tells me he has completed the work so I could be shooting her again on Sunday... bliss :)  

You saying i am old Shreck !!!
It's like catchphrase Dave, say what you see  :cool:

BTW,  my Perrazi spring went ping this week end, thought it was the pin as it still worked off and on but on closer inspection spring was cracked part way through  :frown:

It's like catchphrase Dave, say what you see  :cool:
Hmmmmmm................so what do you say when you look in the mirror :lol: :lol: :lol:

Common problem only to be expected with that make :angel:

Latest posts

Back