Mobile upgrade, which is leading the pack?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anything Samsung IMO. I have heard that the galaxy range is reputed to be better than the i phone.

I am biased, but I would consider the Nokia Lumia running Windows 8. 

Normally I would say the Nokia Lumia, very easy to use, excellent build quality and so far touch wood, trouble free. Never got on with Samsung (Android phones), iPhone 5S would be my second choice. Definitely not the Blackberry though...

iPhone 5S

For
  • Powerful core
  • Touch ID is a real step up
  • Excellent camera
Against
  • Expensive
  • No screen tech change
  • Battery slightly suspect

Nokia Lumia 925

For
  • Premium build
  • Superb camera
  • Strong suite of native apps
Against
  • Dated specs
  • Screen could be sharper
  • Only 16GB of storage

Samsung S4

For
  • Stunning screen
  • Superfast processor
  • Great camera
Against
  • Feels cheaper than similar-priced phones
  • 'Innovation' doesn't wow
  • Slight UI issues
All of these phones had the same star rating of 4.5 out of 5 on TechRadar

Always been an iPhone man for my personal use. Got a bit tired of iTunes and the "lock you in" mentality of Apple.

I've just bought a bingle Nexus outright and use Giffgaff as my provider who are super cheap.

Presently I'm hugely impressed by Android and the available apps. Fabulous screen compared to my iPhone 4s.

Its interesting that in upgrading my iOS to 7.02 that Apple have copied a lot of the android finger strokes.

As stated above whatever you get will be outdated in 6 months.

As for flimsy design, you will have to be the judge of that - I've seen as many broken iPhone screens as I have Samsung/HTC/Sony ones.

Finally if I were going the contract route it would be the HTC One or the Sony Experia Z for me.

Hope this helps?

Its on a business contract with Vodafone, so I have to keep my price plan realistic and without a massive deposit on the phone.

My price lans are generally £30, samsung S4 was free, 5C £20 deposit, 5S £124. Realistically the 5S is going to be to dear, the 5C are all in rubbish colours no blacks or greys.

So could be one of the other manufacturers this time round.

Phones, one of my topics, although I will admit I am not 100% impartial (work for Nokia). What are you looking for in a phone?

Phones, one of my topics, although I will admit I am not 100% impartial (work for Nokia). What are you looking for in a phone?
Mainly, good battery life, good signal, send and receive emails, view pdfs and office documents, txts, internet surfing, vibrate, camera and decent apps a bonus. So nothing much that all phones won't do. Currently have an 4S but don't like the ios 7 upgrade we got. Use it for work ad a civil engineering contractor, so ringing round on it all day, sending emails for materials and deliveries, reading emailed drawings on pdf's for projects, then surf the web on shooting forums in an evening.

Mate of mine also works for Nokia, bloke called Stuart Crawford, chief technical officer, used to work in Farnborough, now works in Finland when he's well enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest most phones will do what you need, but picking on the Office documents, the Windows Phone 8 handsets will be far better for you. If you can push for a Lumia 1020 then you get the best mobile phone camera in the world too. Are there any must have apps that you cannot do without, as the one drawback to WP8 is not all apps are available. I can push 4 days battery out of my Lumia, but I am not a heavy user and am smart with the settings.

When i spoke to voda tonight, the lass i spoke to said that the samsungs were selling a lot better than the iphones and that most people in the call centre were on samsungs. Will have to look into the lumia and see how it goes on my price plan.

The Samsung's are selling well and certainly worth looking at, but remember the top selling car in the UK last year was a Ford Fiesta.

When i spoke to voda tonight, the lass i spoke to said that the samsungs were selling a lot better than the iphones and that most people in the call centre were on samsungs. Will have to look into the lumia and see how it goes on my price plan.
Told you,

I was told 12 mths ago by an insider that anyone who new anything agreed that Samsung is better than overpriced over hyped i phone

Latest posts

Back