New to Clays!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evolve82

Hi all,

I have been rifle shooting for a fair while but only just applied for my sgc. I am going clay pigeon shooting this weekend for the first time and wondered if anyone had any advice to offer?

I know very little about the sport and as the others I'm going with know I have been 'shooting' a while are expecting me to either be good at it or know what I am doing!

Either way, hope to get to know some people on here and get to learn more about shot guns and clay shooting.

Try and forget the rifle. You may find that ou are at a DISADVANTAGE over those who have never shot, as it is so different. If you are at a good place for beginners, the targets will be very simple, but still the huge difference is the slow speed of the shot, compared to a rifle bullet. Therefore you need to shoot where the clay is headed, not where it is at. You will be pulling the trigger while moving the gun. You need to stare hard at the clay and almost disregard the muzzle.

Have fun!

Try and forget the rifle. You may find that ou are at a DISADVANTAGE over those who have never shot, as it is so different. If you are at a good place for beginners, the targets will be very simple, but still the huge difference is the slow speed of the shot, compared to a rifle bullet. Therefore you need to shoot where the clay is headed, not where it is at. You will be pulling the trigger while moving the gun. You need to stare hard at the clay and almost disregard the muzzle.
Have fun!
Thanks for that! Is a club where the stands should be quite simple. How far in front of the clay should you aim at a simple left to right stand? When is the best time to take the shot? Near the beginning or end of its flight?

People see lead (leeed), or forward allowance differently. Usually, a beginner will need to really see a lot of lead, because the swinging through and past the target will feel odd and therefore be done quite slowly. My rough rule of thumb is that if the clay is 20 yards away and crossing, it will need two feet of lead.

You should shoot the target after it is in clear vision, not when it appears as a blur. Don't wait too long, or you will over think it, plus the clay will start to drop.

Shoot about three quarters of the way through your swing, to ensure that you keep the gun moving. I GUARANTEE that you will stop the gun when you pull the trigger, causing a miss behind. Learning to confidently shoot at a bit of fresh air in front of a clay is the hardest thing to tell yourself at first.

Bit of an old classic, but worth you seeing.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=YLT-LrT-0Fc&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DYLT-LrT-0Fc

People see lead (leeed), or forward allowance differently. Usually, a beginner will need to really see a lot of lead, because the swinging through and past the target will feel odd and therefore be done quite slowly. My rough rule of thumb is that if the clay is 20 yards away and crossing, it will need two feet of lead.

You should shoot the target after it is in clear vision, not when it appears as a blur. Don't wait too long, or you will over think it, plus the clay will start to drop.

Shoot about three quarters of the way through your swing, to ensure that you keep the gun moving. I GUARANTEE that you will stop the gun when you pull the trigger, causing a miss behind. Learning to confidently shoot at a bit of fresh air in front of a clay is the hardest thing to tell yourself at first.
over think it? your not kidding

A good vid to watch thanks! Seems simple in theory will see how it goes at the weekend!

Thanks for the replies. Perfectly aware of how addictive shooting is -been shooting for a while just not shot guns!

Welcome aboard....enjoy ShootClay - any questions, please let me know...

Are there any threads that review/recommend a good budget shot gun?
As has been said before, there is a load of info on the site about guns. In general you are better off buying a good quality second hand gun than a cheapo new one, the cheapo guns can be worth almost nothing when you go to trade them in. You are better off with a second hand Browning/Miroku or a Beretta. It may be advisable to try all the disciplines before you get a gun, or you could end up buying the wrong type of gun. I guess I must have shot for a year or two before I actually bought my first shotgun, I tried every discipline I could and once I decided what I wanted to shoot I bought the right sort of gun for the discipline. Take your time, there really is no rush! :wink:

Same here - shot for 6 months before buying a gun, so I had an idea what I wanted..

Our lighthearted guide to getting started is as follows:

1. Get £2000

2. Buy a £650 Mirook/Browning/Beretta/Hatstand (delete as appropriate)

3. Spend £350 on lessons with (insert list of local shooting instructors who aren't weirdos here)

4. Spend £1000 on Hull/Eley/GameBore/Clever/Fiocchi/Cheddite/Other red lead based cartridges (delete as appropriate)

5. Don't touch your chokes or your cartridges until you score 80 or above

6. Do/Don't join an association (you decide)

7. Do/Don't shoot registered (you decide)

8. Come back here every so often and get some light hearted abuse

9. Please buy a polo shirt from this
shop

10. Have I missed anything?

Latest posts

Back