One for the engineers.... what have you built?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExSCA

ShootClay Admin
I found this a good bit of fun this morning - and it made me think about what it must be like to build things.  It is no secret that I am completely hopeless at technical/engineering things, I can build a PC - but struggle with flatpack shelves. 

So - as you watch this video, I'd like to know 'What is the biggest/best thing you have built....?"

My answer - I built ShootClay and in some way, built this community... I'm pretty proud of that. (But my house is full of rickety crap and an old kitchen). 

Here's the video that inspired my thinking here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_ObE4_nMCjE

I would regard myself as reasonably competent at most DIY stuff around the house and garden and it even extends to the cars.  Walls, pagoda, patios, drainage, woodwork, shelves, self assembly stuff, sheds, fitted kitchen, plumbing and electrics etc.

I suppose the most complex thing I did was to completely strip an old style Mini down to its last nut and bolt and rebuilt it completely including the engine and gearbox and a respray.  The body shell was so light when everything was off and out of it that I used to wheel it in and out of the garage with a wheelbarrow.  In the process I "breathed" on the head polishing it and fitted twin carbs and a hotter cam.  Quite proud of it and after I sold it it was rallied and didn't fall apart or break down.  It was my wife's first car!

Long time ago now and don't enjoy grovelling under cars any more in the winter though I need to look at something under the motorhome soon!

I would regard myself as reasonably competent at most DIY stuff around the house and garden and it even extends to the cars. Walls, pagoda, patios, drainage, woodwork, shelves, self assembly stuff, sheds, fitted kitchen, plumbing and electrics etc.

I suppose the most complex thing I did was to completely strip an old style Mini down to its last nut and bolt and rebuilt it completely including the engine and gearbox and a respray. The body shell was so light when everything was off and out of it that I used to wheel it in and out of the garage with a wheelbarrow. In the process I "breathed" on the head polishing it and fitted twin carbs and a hotter cam. Quite proud of it and after I sold it it was rallied and didn't fall apart or break down. It was my wife's first car!

Long time ago now and don't enjoy grovelling under cars any more in the winter though I need to look at something under the motorhome soon!
i envy you there Robert !! Very clever, I am number one DIY dick!!!!!! Absolutely useless (and am that poor am proud to shout it from the roof tops) in fact my missus often does

This is what I "engineer"electrical biased!! 

Canada 2011

Image_zpsb114d051.jpg

Germany 2011

HK016.jpg

My office 

HK024.jpg

and this is the language I work in!!

Siemens%20Function%20Block%20Call.JPG

Very nice Evoracer, but WTF is that thing???  :biggrin:

P.S. I had Lego as a kid! Never made anything recognisable though!

you've driven and been on a train through what it creates!
Oh! I see now. It's like "The Mole" they used to have in Thunderbirds for International Rescue? Cool!!

These youngsters!

Meccano was the proper stuff for kids to make things!
Actually Robert I had Meccano too, but it was a set from the 1930's that was my Uncle's and I was only allowed to use it under supervision. No fun at all!

I preferred demolition. I took everything apart (just never got around to putting it back together) Much the same as when I do anything on my car now, always bits left over!!  :sarcastic:

Oh! I see now. It's like "The Mole" they used to have in Thunderbirds for International Rescue? Cool!!

Actually Robert I had Meccano too, but it was a set from the 1930's that was my Uncle's and I was only allowed to use it under supervision. No fun at all!

I preferred demolition. I took everything apart (just never got around to putting it back together) Much the same as when I do anything on my car now, always bits left over!!  :sarcastic:
some say mole technically a TBM 

Evoracer, I think that whatever we may have built, you have seriously out-trumped us all!!  :biggrin:

Anyone know the grade separated junction on the A27 at Patching? Dud the detailed design drawings and contract documents for that about 21 years ago.

Built many things the fisrt thing I built was at 15 yrs old a motorbike out of various other motorbikes was a villiers frame with a triumph tiger cub engine (which I bought in two cardboard boxes with the assurance that it was all there, it was) a Honda tank cant remember what the wheels were from or anything else. My dad (rip) and I made a bespoke exhaust out of big bore copper pipe. It worked a treat but boy was it loud, flames and I mean proper flames came out the exhaust. Then we went on to build a fibreglass canoe which I later nearly killed myself in but that my friends is another tale from the riverbank.

Latest posts

Back