Poor Quality Cartridges

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your on the Malt and your Mrs is looking for something well hung !!!

Only did 350 so far this week as I have a bad lower back which kills my ability to concentrate.  Just doing Honesberie tomorrow 100 bird and then the shoot off for the Rizzini competition.
How do you manage the logistics of 52k a year?  That must be several deliveries via pallet and fork lift truck!  Doing the math - that is 1.5 metric tons of lead alone!

How do you manage the logistics of 52k a year?  That must be several deliveries via pallet and fork lift truck!  Doing the math - that is 1.5 metric tons of lead alone!
I buy them weekly, 1000, 2000, special times of year like Christmas 3 or 4,000 - that way it is manageable to keep.  We go through quite a few so never really build up huge stock that becomes a problem.  Recently I  have bought 2,000 two weeks in a row so how have a little comfort zone stock.

"Recently I  have bought 2,000 two weeks in a row so how have a little comfort zone stock."

Yes very satisfying having a great block of consumables. I use nowhere near the number you do so tend to buy about two thousand at a time and also the prices here tend to be stable so there is no real profit in buying too many at one go... although last week I bought a batch of 2k and he gave me €10 off so the standard has been set, I will expect that every time I buy now :)  

Prices are going up, so I stocked up more than usual too.  I might be OK of there is a zombie apocalypse  :alien:

Country Pursuits had these Kent/Gamebore cartridges at a decent price of £148/1000 for fibres.

Is it me or have the costs in real terms really not changed in 20 years? could it be the price point that we want to pay is too low and they make cheep poor quality to that price? In the past that price actualy allowed them to make a quality product.

Sent from my SGP611 using Tapatalk

Is it me or have the costs in real terms really not changed in 20 years? could it be the price point that we want to pay is too low and they make cheep poor quality to that price? In the past that price actualy allowed them to make a quality product.

Sent from my SGP611 using Tapatalk
Many hundreds of products are cheaper today than they were decades ago, manufacturing costs don't always go up (in relative terms) nor do raw materials. I bought a digital Casio watch in 1977 for £40, the same thing today would set you back a fiver. In the same year I bought a professional calculator for £20 which today can be had for less than a tenner. 

I also recall buying a Sony TV in Wimbledon for £670 give or take and that too is about the same money today.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think in real terms cartridges are cheaper than they were in mid 80s as even a middle of the road cartridge was touching £100 per k . As for quality I don't think things have changed we had good and bad loads then as we do now

Many hundreds of products are cheaper today than they were decades ago, manufacturing costs don't always go up (in relative terms) nor do raw materials. I bought a digital Casio watch in 1977 for £40, the same thing today would set you back a fiver. In the same year I bought a professional calculator for £20 which today can be had for less than a tenner. 

I also recall buying a Sony TV in Wimbledon for £670 give or take and that too is about the same money today.
All made in China now hence cheaper. Now where are those Chinese cartridges at £60 a thou.

Saw a few separate examples of the notorious FBlacks at Westfield yesterday. 

Not experienced any problem with the F3's I'm using so guessing they must be different components.

The infamous cheap Jai Ling cartridges, brought in IIRC correctly by the late Stan Gladders who owned Vale of Belvoir SG before it morphed into Orston SG, which was next door. Alan Poskitt used some in his Perazzi and had a problem with barrel bulge, not sure whether it was over pressure cartridges but Perazzi replaced his barrels. Jai Ling rapidly dwindled out after that.

Back