RBSS Handicap Classic 2013

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So whats this grouse all about? Call pull and they let the lot go at random intervals or call for each pair?

20 birds, launched as 10 pairs. There is a menu, but you cant read it. You say 'ready' then they send first pair, but you don't call again. Eject cartridges over your shoulder and scorer stuffs for you.

Before each pair, he will say 'pair of low loopers to right' or whatever.

Last pair is a covey of four battues. You are required to break 2.

excrement :)  Can I use the pair of purdeys and double gun :lol:

Great day out today at RBSS,

Steve and Ade well shot and thanks to Robert for yet again a great course. I found it a few clays tougher than last year requiring a more disciplined approach with plenty to think about! 

To anybody who has not shot there before its definitely  worth a round or two!!!!

Sorry to ask, looking at that leader board how likely is it that some of those given quite generous handicaps later ( near closing date ) start putting in some really impressive scores?

Looks as if half of Gloucestershire was with Steve Lovatt also.

Sorry to ask, looking at that leader board how likely is it that some of those given quite generous handicaps later ( near closing date ) start putting in some really impressive scores?

Looks as if half of Gloucestershire was with Steve Lovatt also.
Anybody with a generous handicap is proven to be a less capable shooter, (over a minimum of 500 CPSA targets) so it works well. The key to making the final is to shoot better than you normally do. In fact when you look at the finalists each year, it is generally made up of lower handicap folk. Possibly because they shoot it more often. I find it a valid handicap system.

Last edited by a moderator:
And those CPSA members with less than 500 reg targets (assume over last 12 months) are I take it handicapped as if try we're a RBSS member?

Splitting hairs really as it sounds a good enough day out anyway.

Yes, if not CPSA, they shoot as RBSS. They get handicapped on secret stands on the day. After three attempts they fix the handicap. 40 spaces in the 60 gun final are reserved for CPSA entries regardless.

Live blog from RBSS:

Just did my first attempt. Phew!

Traps had to be defrosted as its bloody cold here.

Definitely a technical course with most of my many misses due to reading too much into them. There is one quick away looper that I only hit once and I worry that I may be a long time sussing that one out..

The grouse killed me just now. It's never my strong point but two wide left loopers (that everybody talks about) were just very low and I ran out of time before they disappeared. Also, the covey of 4 battues just died and fell miles before reaching me. Hit none. They seemed very dead compared to previous years, fooled me completely. Was it an odd covey?

70 + 9 is disappointing, but I have learned some tips for the next go at 13.30 hopefully..

Just got to laugh. Terrible second round, with moments of good and other periods of mind-death, overcompensating for earlier mistakes. Missed plenty of stuff i hit first time around, thinking about it. Hit the same score again! Repeat shooting is a funny art.

I will return and I know that a huge improvement is due.

Shot with Gary (banger) who did a great 79+9 to lead for now. He took it all in his stride and the course suited him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers Wil ,

I though it was a great course some tricky stuff which wasn't doing what you thought.

If you manage 16 or over on the grouse your going some!!  The teal on stand 5 looked easy ,i made it look really hard.

Will be going for another go soon

The grouse is tough this year. I wasn't unhappy with 14 on my second round. One of the few highlights of it.. Some I missed I had hit on first go, so a 16 should be there on a 'good day'. Utterly convinced that I can exceed 80 on the course eventually.

I think 90 total will be the cut-off for the final this year..

Gary, let me know when you can get out again! I need to follow you. :)

hi gary and will glad you enjoyed yourselves i think its one of them you think i can hit all these and then come out missing 2 or 3 it has certainly spurred me on to crack it if u go again give me a shout and ill join you if you dont mind .

hi gary and will glad you enjoyed yourselves i think its one of them you think i can hit all these and then come out missing 2 or 3 it has certainly spurred me on to crack it if u go again give me a shout and ill join you if you dont mind .
Absolutely mate! Let me know when, I am up for next week sometime.

Sounds good Steve,Wil.  Look forward to it!!

Keep an eye on the weather? luckly it was near perfect today just a bit cold.

Well, Gary (banger) will be too modest to say it but he shot superbly today to hit a 90 at RBSS. I mean he hit 90 clays, + 8 handicap and is leading it by a chunk now. Bloody well done mate.

To rub it in he brought some mates who are non CPSA but are likely in the final now too!

We won't talk about my third pathetic effort. This course has stuffed my head. Where I shot well before, I am now missing, so improvements in places count for little. 15 in the grouse was ok I suppose.. I think I need to give it a rest and hopefully forget it, to clear my head for another go in March.

Latest posts

Back