Shells for OT

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
11mm group? I assume that was you shooting it and not clamped!

SkeetEDIT: Now realise that you probably have not subtracted the 5.5mm bullet width, as they do in BR...so yes, nice group...especially for a barrel that isn't shot in.

Have you tried a .17 HMR? I shot an 8mm group of 5 at 70, off a bipod and rickety old bench the other day...just shows how good the 17 is, even without really trying.

Yeah, when I bought Tennex, after finding the best batch, we started rotating the barrel, to fine tune the group position etc.

With full bore, I used to start with measureing to the lands, then set a load length at about 8 thou short of the lands, then I used to weigh up batches of Lapua HPBT 168g, so each head was within a specified limit if the next, use pre fired Lapua casses...all the gubbins. Molly coated etc!

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't stand it- think it's all a load of all sh*t and see it costing people targets week in week out!

Can't stand it- think it's all a load of all sh*t and see it costing people targets week in week out!
I don't mean the bullsh*te "techy bits"...I mean those key things, that many people over look, but make all the difference. Obviously, with Shotguns, most of that is "off the gun", whereas with rifles...all those little details add up, or down as it were, in group size!

Yes deffo can see it in rifles, not that I know anything of it, just from speaking to others that do.

A quick trawl of this forum will throw up a goodcrossection of "what choke/shell/gun/glasses/stock etc etc should I buy next" kind of posts, which is typical of the chat you hear across shoots/ gunshops the country over. If the effort was channelled into the important aspects of the game there would be a lot better average standard! (not related to this post as earlier stated, thi s is more a supply issue). Anyway back to the shells. I'd vote for

The cheapest ones!!

<br /><br />Cartridges with layered shot of differing sizes.
yes thought it might be that, a friend of mine used to get shells with mixed shot sizes many years ago and he thought they were the Mutts Nuts! not sure about the advantage myself?

11mm group? I assume that was you shooting it and not clamped!
11mm was the group size from the vice and not better as the vice has no give like your shoulder. If you were good 11mm would turn into about half that from the shoulder.

The challenge with smallbore outdoors was trying to beat the wind.

The 40 grain 22 bullet gets blown 4inches off course by a 10 mph cross wind but of course you never get a constant wind in terms of speed or direction.

Never shot the HMR which I think is supersonic. 22rimfire is usually somewhere between 1040 and 1080 feet per second. Shooting with a good telescopic sight you can see it loop out to you 100 yard target which is quite weird

Well Tobs it could strickly speaking be for the trap section as it is referring to 'best kit'.

Best to chill and not read it if the position upsets you........it is too close to call........ohhh.....trap........cartridges.....trap......cartridges............

Why are you changing?
Every now and again I sort of survey the market to see whats out there! But I've been on Excels since before Richard Faulds won gold at the Olympics, so a long while now. But every so often I get curious, so I try out a few different squibs to see what they're like, but I seem to end up back with Excels, just like I always end up going back to Miroku after wasting a lot of money on exotic machinery!!! The gun shops just love people like me!!!! :.: :.: :.:

If i could justify the cost (not that i cant afford to) i would shoot 24g eley vips all the time as they shoot really well through my gun however anything over 200 per thousand seems to me to be just too much hence my recent and ongoing search for a good sub 200 cartridge.

If i could justify the cost (not that i cant afford to) i would shoot 24g eley vips all the time as they shoot really well through my gun however anything over 200 per thousand seems to me to be just too much hence my recent and ongoing search for a good sub 200 cartridge.
I tried those many years ago, they work well enough but I found them to be a bit on the dirty side. :(

I tried those many years ago, they work well enough but I found them to be a bit on the dirty side.

Les.. I think I know her!!

Latest posts

Back