Shoot reports and news 2024

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s nearly always a great round at East of England thanks to John Lee’s course setting. You always seem to get something different and not the same old same old you’ve seen before.
I had two really bad stands, one I can blame on my poor shooting the other the rabbit stand where I was unlucky with every one jumping but that’s rabbit stands for you.😀

Well this is a slow moving thread compared with years gone by, after a summer plus not shooting went to Coleys reg today, not too warm and thankfully the threatening cloud or three that looked full of some wet stuff didn't deliver. Hit a few, some surprisingly well but as before missed some (er too many) that I was (more than) capable of hitting and yes missed plenty that were on the day a bit too much for my current skill set. First three stands were steady enough, well for most, St4 ( I think ) a simultaneous pair of left to right off a raised platform caught most of the squad out, think being a 5 pair stand it was a bit a tough ask for any below AA, had a wobble on a couple of targets (St6) shooting down in the valley, in hindsight the first a right to left I could have tried to shoot earlier, hey ho lesson learnt (I hope) St9 had a rather "big" midi that I was pleased to find, reality kicked in as then missed two rather getable gentle loopers in St10, overall though a mix of being rusty / off the pace and, what can only be described as a bit poor in too many places managed to shoot ones age, on a positive if such form continues will be in A class in fifteen years time.

Might not leave it 7 months until next registered venture.

Chalk Farm yesterday, usual firm but enjoyable round in lovely weather, a few sloppy misses but never touched any of the 5 b birds on stand 4, shoot average 72 I think and I managed a few above this so pleased. Good variety of targets and several needed some gaps, all ran smoothly, perfect referee.

Shot at Westfield shooting ground in the Cotswolds yesterday for their 20th anniversary celebratory event.

It was a 150 bird English sporting shoot based over two 75 bird courses.

Westfield are renowned for setting tough courses with targets and ranges that you wouldn't usually see at other grounds and there was plenty of them to be seen.

Started the day as I always try to when shooting a competition and headed straight for the pool shoot. I find that it's a good way to settle the nerves, get the first few missed targets out the way and to warm up after what usually is a long drive. The pool was the usual 25 bird sportrap setup. Targets from A-E with A and B being a pretty big crosser and a fast and low battue respectively at 45-50m out. C-E was the usual teal, 1/4ing and slow crossing target. Surprisingly I actually did quite well only missing one target of a simmo pair and I couldnt find the B bird any of the 4 times it appeared. I finished on a 19/25 which I thought was a fairly average score.

We started the main shoot on the red layout which was based on the arable fields behind the clubhouse and up the valley towards the grouse butts. Fairly standard Westfield targets with some stand out targets being stand 3 which was a 4 pair report pair of crosser and battue at around 40m and 55m each. I managed to find all of the crossers and two of the battues with some pretty crazy lead. Stand 6 or 7ish which was a simulated partridge covey flush. 3 targets in the air at the same time, two of them almost close enough to be hittable with the one shot which caught out a few who tried. Stand 10 also worth a mention with a 3 bird super sporting layout consisting of 3 single birds featuring a crow target which needed about 10ft of lead below and a marked delay between the trigger pull and shot hitting the target. Not sure on exact distance but it was out there. I finished the 1st layout on a poor 54 from 75 with a gimme stand of a rabbit and flopper doing the real damage with a 3/8.

Second layout (blue) was up the wooded half of the ground and much the same with standard (big) Westfield targets and a gimme stand or two. Stand 8 I think was particularly interesting, a 4 pair stand with three separate teal targets. There was no set list with a random order of simmo or report pairs of any of the three teals at the refs discretion. I started the blue layout poorly following an almost 2 hour break between the layouts but managed to pull it together to finish on a slightly better 61/75.

A total of 115/150 to place 6th in B Class and take the last of the cash prizes.

A fairly low average scoring shoot with 139/150 being the high gun.

This shoot marked a particular milestone in my shooting career to date as it was the first ever time that I've taken home a cash prize and it wasn't only in the main shoot but I also won the combined B and C class on the pool shoot. Two busses and all that.

Coleys today, only a month not seven since gun last out so not as "rusty" as I was. Shot pm, was overcast and very light almost suspended drizzle which thankfully cleared, some saw a bit of sun, not that I nor my squad of chums did.
St1 a pair of orange class, I was late putting on/changing onto my prescription glasses which at near 6 years old are an "old prescription" for those that do wear glasses will get the disorientation, add the fuzzy orange and what looked a steady pair / stand saw me 4 away. St 2 a five pair simo of going away with a fair teal, now me I don't like shooting "on the drop" so an early take at the teals peak saw another 2 away which in hindsight wasn't too terrible. The struggle with fuzzy orange targets re-appeared on St6 a simple going away with a low looper, from the floor I could see it clearly, on the platform lokkiinh at the flight against the background of tree / light / tee / light I lost it for most of its flight, a sorry 5 away here. St9 where a breakdown and no-birds a plenty caused a log jam, me Im up first and see the squad in front have a torrid time, manage a three all a distant high l-r, didn't touch a r-l crossing mini, I had lots of company in that mind. The chap following me shot a 7 here, quite something, even more so as he was following me. later heard a chum straighten this stand now that really was outstanding. A wobble or two to follow then a credible last stand so I could at least have a positive outcome.
Most had left by the time we finished, the few still in the clubhouse were all of the opinion that it had been one of there "tougher" shoots, there was nothing daft distance wise or stupidly fast, and yes in hindsight maybe St9 needed a simpler target with one of the two thrown, overall, given stats it was indeed a bit tougher than many shoots there have been, it made for a decent competition though, no miss one and its gone so to speak.
Now must try and shoot something/somewhere else between these Coley comps

Latest posts

Back