Take care of your gun

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could say that I get around a bit..in shooting terms. I have seen 100's of thousands if not millions of rounds fired and to date I have only seen 5 choke failures, one on a Holland (ouch!!!) , one on a Remington, one on a Gamba and twice on Beretta's.  Two of these have been with fibre wads and three with plastic. I echo everything said about the need to clean chokes, though I tend to take mine out and lubricate about every 4 - 500 rounds and make a point of loosening / tightening every time i shoot....

my guns are cleaned everytime they go out even if never fired,i remove the chokes and clean and lubricate them before re-fitting.never had a problem with any of my guns,cant see why people would pay a load of money for something then abuse it by not looking after it,and to this end I will never buy a second hand gun as it could be one that someone has proudly neglected

I always store my gun open and barrels up in a stand but why barrels up? Is down not safer?

I always store my gun open and barrels up in a stand but why barrels up? Is down not safer?
Butt down in a stand waiting to shoot, as this should eliminate the risk of it falling over. Barrels down is good practice for storage so that no oil runs back into the stock and receiver.

It has been a bad week for gun mishaps ( or neglect ) this week . Last Sunday I watched a chap split his stock into two pieces by placing the barrels on the rubber pad on the floor and stand leaning on the butt stock with the action open al la Trapista. 'Crack'.  Two piece Perazzi stock.

Saturday another guy blows the end of the barrels apart. Why? "Oh I never take my chokes out to clean them, haven't been out for years ." Cause of barrel rupture? Loose choke tube, gas pressure and possibly pellets driven up behind thinwall choke tubes. New Barrels or new gun ? Barrels are probably dearer than a S/H gun.

Then today a chap finds out that poor muzzle awareness and steel safety cages do not mix. " How much are DT10 Barrels?"

A little time and a little care can save a considerable amount of money.
Ouch

Ouch

Ouch

I'm with all the other "clean it after every shoot (inc chokes out & lubed)" - mine may not be worth £000's but it was still paid for with hard earned!

Must admit I prob clean my gun about once every couple of years but I do remove my muller chokes after every shoot as my gun does not fit in my cabinet with them in, needless to say my gun is always rotten dirty but fingers crossed never caused any problems. :fie:

I'm with all the other "clean it after every shoot (inc chokes out & lubed)" - mine may not be worth £000's but it was still paid for with hard earned!
Phil

Doesn't matter how much anything costs, if you pay for it with yer own hard earned cash its priceless too you and should be cherished. I have known shooters over the years with VERY expensive guns and they throw them about and dent the stock and never clean them. They don't do that because they can afford another one when its knackered they do it because they have no pride in there possesions. That's just bad form IMO.

Also it doesn't matter what you have or how much its worth someone will have worse and someone will have better. I like Beretta as you know but many people shoot Miroku and other relatively "affordable" stuff not because they cant afford anything more just because they like em, and if you like it look after it. :)

Latest posts

Back