Whats the difference!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjr693

Hi Guys & Gals

Can somebody explain the difference between a game gun and a sporter.

I already know about auto safety on a game gun.

Also is a game gun suitable for clays?

Thanks in advance

Mike

Hi Guys & Gals

Can somebody explain the difference between a game gun and a sporter.

I already know about auto safety on a game gun.

Also is a game gun suitable for clays?

Thanks in advance

Mike
Yes, this was discussed elsewhere recently, but I cant find the thread.

- Yep, usually have Auto Safety (pain in the ass for clays)

- Usually narrow rib.

- Usually much lighter, by a pound or so.

Essentially, you don't want to be shooting a Game gun at lots of clays.  They are lighter so will kick MUCH harder, than the heavier sporting gun.  This will get tiresome after a short time and painful too.

Yes you can shoot a Game gun at clays, but this is usually reserved for those that want to practice with their Game gun, that they would normally shoot at Game.

.....Essentially, you don't want to be shooting a Game gun at lots of clays.  They are lighter so will kick MUCH harder, than the heavier sporting gun.  This will get tiresome after a short time and painful too.
Is the above true even if you shoot clays with 21gm loads, think of my wife here re the lighter gun bit.

Thanks

There are a few things that can assist with felt recoil, such as gun fit and especially the pad you use. But a light gun will always kick more than a heavy one. Simple physics. 21g will reduce the recoil compared to heavier loads, but it will feel more in a light gun. I shot a light gun with hard pad recently, with 21 g loads. It kicked like a donkey compared to my gun with 28g loads.

Is the above true even if you shoot clays with 21gm loads, think of my wife here re the lighter gun bit.

Thanks
OK. So, why don't you tell us the whole story. :)

Is this a gun you want to acquire and is it for you or your wife?

There is no reason (usually) that a lady can't use a 12g Sporter.  21g carts may help to begin with.  What you need to do is be brave and commit to a gun.  Which may mean shortening the stock, or buying one already short plus some other easy tweeks.  It is likely not so much the weight, but how it is apportioned in front of her..(long stock)

Sporters have the wider rib as it helps dissipate heat (you tend to shoot more shells more quickly with clay shooting) They tend to also have ventilated barrels which also helps to shed the heat and it is said reduce drag (which I don't believe has any great effect) 

Sporters are normally heavier too - this helps with recoil and "pointability" to some extent. Recoil comes in two forms "Dynamic" ie per Newton's Law and "Sensible" ie that as felt by the user. Briefly, in a normal (non auto) gun dynamic recoil is a simple mathematical calculation:

Velocity of Recoil = Weight of charge   X Velocity of Charge

Weight of gun

Weight of the gun, velocity and weight of the shot load (inc wad) all play a part.

However,  sensible recoil ie what you feel in your shoulder is way more complicated and personal. As has been said, gun fit, powder type and god knows what else etc all affect this. 

As for the question in the OP, my guess is you want to know if using a game gun will be OK for clays? If that's the case, the answer is a fairly straightforward......... it depends. 

If you don't already have a gun and have any level interest in shooting clays at any kind of competitive level, then you'd be better getting a Sporter. They cost more or less the same.

If however you already have a game gun and have no specific interest in competition shooting (at any level), then just go an enjoy yourself and don't worry about it. 

Good post Finners.

Haven't got the full question asked so can't give the right answer maybe, but if the question is 'my wife likes the nice light game gun, is this OK?' Then my answer would be: Beginners always like the feel of a light gun, because they are not used to holding one, so it feels nicer.

As long as she intends to shoot fairly regularly, get a clay gun that is heavier. Before long, the muscles will adapt to the weight and all the benefits of the heavier gun will be appreciated. Also, the weight will seem less as time goes on because the gun will be held up for less and less time as experience comes. Beginners spend AGES holding the gun up getting comfy to shoot, so any weight feels exaggerated.

Last edited by a moderator:
My adult daughter who is strong used a hired Beretta Lightweight game gun and hurt her shoulder.

I have since bought her a 12 gauge Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporter and lopped an inch off the stock which is a vast improvement!

I also buy her 21g loads as well.

Lightweight game guns are not suitable for clay shooters, especially ladies if they want to enjoy themselves!

Some people prefer the Semi auto's as they tend to be a bit lighter but the recoil is largely absorbed by the mechanism. Not a fan myself, but you might find it helps? 

Hi, been out nearly all day.  Thanks for the answers and advice, I was thinking 1 gun for both of us but our sizes are so different, I am nearly a foot taller, I think she will have to have her own gun once we get up and running.  Can't wait for the SGC to arrive so I can start the gun choice, Chris Potter guns is my nearest shop so I will pop in there for their advice.

Taking your advice we will need 2 x 12g sporters, make to be decided

thanks

Andy

Hi, been out nearly all day.  Thanks for the answers and advice, I was thinking 1 gun for both of us but our sizes are so different, I am nearly a foot taller, I think she will have to have her own gun once we get up and running.  Can't wait for the SGC to arrive so I can start the gun choice, Chris Potter guns is my nearest shop so I will pop in there for their advice.

Taking your advice we will need 2 x 12g sporters, make to be decided

thanks

Andy

Makes sense :good:  

Latest posts

Back