Who Doesn't like A Semi....?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

General Skanky

On a another forum, USA, one of the posters made an interesting claim.

He said, 'an instructor once told me that professional shooters on the whole, would prefer to shoot a semi automatic'.

Endorsements etc promoting the OU.

Interesting comment.

Now I'm bias towards an auto, so just saying it caught my attention.

This is not a which is better post, more asking for your thoughts.

Be nice.

I have to say I shoot my guerini better than my a400 auto but not by much at my level, I don't shoot the auto in squaded registered shoots as clearing up the empties has me rushing to catch up with the squad 👍

Overall i tend to shoot my O/U much more and better than my auto. Flying shells, fiddling around with unloading
makes it more impractical for me. Even when on hunting I don´t get much of a bonus out of an auto.
In germany we are allowed to three rounds capacity when hunting, one in the chamber, two in the magazine.
Most shooting grounds do restrict autos to two shots loaded. No advantage to an O/U.
On the technical side the trigger on a auto is never as good as on an O/U.
On the safety side shooters are often not very well trained on autos and that could cause some unsafe situations.
With an O/U or side by side gun just open it and everything is safe even with shells in the chambers.
If i have to make a decision I would always take a O/U.
Autos are allowed on a lot of ranges and competitions, so why are there so few? Not much of an advantage
but some time consumig handling needed.

The only advantages I see are light weight and lower recoil - good for the elderly & recoil sensitive perhaps !!

You are right Bavarian - so many disadvantages and many safety related. I find myself distracted by them - looking them to check they are safe.

I don't own one.

The debate will rage on for years.

Just in the back of my mind what the original comment was from the other forum.

Food for thought that's all.

From what I’ve seen over the years , the early adoption of a self loading shotgun is very influenced by the people who introduce you to shooting . 50 years ago , my best mate had a Browning B2000 gas auto , The lad we shot with had Remi 1100 so I bought a Winchester 1400 Winchoke gas auto , which in truth was a woeful piece of crap that was just one place above a canoe paddle for fit and finish . At the time the top clay shots cleaning up the prizes carried a O/U trap gun and a skeet gun as the multichoke was still a bit of a rarity . Over those years I’ve had various autos and pump guns , but personally always found them a nuisance.

love my benelli comfortech it’s my goto gun, just as safe as any other gun it’s the nut behind any gun that makes it unsafe not the gun.

From what I’ve seen over the years , the early adoption of a self loading shotgun is very influenced by the people who introduce you to shooting . 50 years ago , my best mate had a Browning B2000 gas auto , The lad we shot with had Remi 1100 so I bought a Winchester 1400 Winchoke gas auto , which in truth was a woeful piece of crap that was just one place above a canoe paddle for fit and finish . At the time the top clay shots cleaning up the prizes carried a O/U trap gun and a skeet gun as the multichoke was still a bit of a rarity . Over those years I’ve had various autos and pump guns , but personally always found them a nuisance.
Browning 2000, THAT was probably the worst auto ever made.......even worse than a Hatstand ! That prompted Browning to go to Beretta, I think the conversation went along the lines of "HELP.....make us an auto " That was the birth of the Browning B80. Which is a direct lift of a Beretta 303, except for the rear of the action (a 'Hogsback' I believe) and the fitting of Standard Invector multi chokes.
I recently helped a guy that I had taught, buy his first gun. He chose a B80. He shoots it very well after we extended the stock and changed the drop plate for a higher one. He is now looking for an O/U, but he is keeping the auto.
To ALL of the knockers of auto's all I will say is, in 17 years of running a shooting ground ALL of the incidents, including an 'accidental' shooting were committed by Over and Under users. I only had 1 incident involving an auto, and that was averted before any damage. I think, due to unjust bad publicity regarding auto's, the users are EXTRA careful. I keep one just to upset all of the 'Trappies' occasionally ! 😂

Last edited:
From what I’ve seen.

Semis are just as safe, just as accurate, just as good as an OU.

Ref safety, I don’t buy into the view they are not as safe. I fire. Breech open. Put flag in. Done. I’ve seen many OU shooters close their guns up before getting into the stand, turn around with it unbroken and wave it about etc. Safety is as FESkent says, down to the nut behind the trigger. The Americans use semis in vast quantities yet don’t manage to shoot each other at the range.

Modern semis are improving all the time. My A400 could have a trigger tune for example if I so wished. Quality is on the up and already on par.

One barrel for me has always seemed logical compared to two. One aim point. End. This was a discussion in another thread.

It feels to me that the anti semi view in the UK is as the move from SxS to OU. Changing attitudes. That’s all.

But would a professional admit to preferably using one or are they definitely OU people?

Browning 2000, THAT was probably the worst auto ever made.......even worse than a Hatstand ! That prompted Browning to go to Beretta, I think the conversation went along the lines of "HELP.....make us an auto " That was the birth of the Browning B80. Which is a direct lift of a Beretta 303, except for the rear of the action (a 'Hogsback' I believe) and the fitting of Standard Invector multi chokes.
I recently helped a guy that I had taught buy his first gun, he chose a B80. He shoots it very well after we extended the stock and changed the drop plate for a higher one. He is now looking for an O/U, but he is keeping the auto.
To ALL of the knockers ( I would have got fluffy bunnies if I had used the correctof auto's all I will say is, in 17 years of running a shooting ground ALL of the incidents, including an 'accidental' shooting were committed by Over and Under users. I only had 1 incident involving an auto, and that was averted before any damage. I think, due to unjust bad publicity regarding auto's, the users are EXTRA careful. I keep one just to upset all of the 'Trappies' occasionally ! 😂
Good points. Only takes someone with actual practical experience to validate the safety argument.

Whilst there's a current thread on semi's. Just how often do you have to clean gas operated guns? Im having to have physio on my elbow at the moment and even though actually shooting isn't too bad the action of breaking my gun is causing me grief. So I'm thinking a semi will be easier for me to cope with without giving up shooting for a bit. I had a go on a friends Benelli Montefeltro this week and got on fine with it but I like the look of the A400 multi target but I understand gas guns require a lot more cleaning and looking after than an inertia action gun. I don't clean my O/U's after every shoot probably after a couple or three slabs or unless they get wet and TBF they don't ever seem to be that dirty. Would not cleaning a gas gun for that long affect its performance or is a case of a quick clean all the time and then a deep clean once in a while?

benelli work on inertia, recoil, no gas port to clean, simple bore snake through the barrel, job done.

like all guns do remove and clean the chokes frequently or they may become a permanent addition to the gun.

Whilst there's a current thread on semi's. Just how often do you have to clean gas operated guns? Im having to have physio on my elbow at the moment and even though actually shooting isn't too bad the action of breaking my gun is causing me grief. So I'm thinking a semi will be easier for me to cope with without giving up shooting for a bit. I had a go on a friends Benelli Montefeltro this week and got on fine with it but I like the look of the A400 multi target but I understand gas guns require a lot more cleaning and looking after than an inertia action gun. I don't clean my O/U's after every shoot probably after a couple or three slabs or unless they get wet and TBF they don't ever seem to be that dirty. Would not cleaning a gas gun for that long affect its performance or is a case of a quick clean all the time and then a deep clean once in a while?
I had an A400 multitarget and I used to clean the barrels and anywhere I could get too easily every time I shot before it went away. But I only ever cleaned to piston and ports etc every 800 rounds or so. I did see how long I could go without cleaning it as it has a scraper ring as well as piston ring so kind of cleans itself in theory. I got to 1400 and felt guilty so cleaned it 😂

If you can stand 'clunk, click, every trip, then buy a recoil operated auto. As said, they are easier to clean than an O/U. I had a Beretta 391 and although extremely reliable, a bit of a pig to clean, compared to my old 303, and more valves than a Range Rover. I would steer clear of Remmie's, although I have had a few over the years, ammunition fussy, and prone to bits dropping off. Current Franchi' s are quite good too, I believe.
Can I suggest having a day out at a shooting ground with a shop. You can then try the different models available and make up your mind as to which would work for you. I still think that the best ever auto is the old Beretta 303, mine never misses a beat and is not too bad to clean.

My thoughts - they jam or fail in some way much more often than an O/U, they hurt my thumb when I load them, they make a mess, it pisses off refs when you smack them with ejected cartridges. I own one, but unless I'm at a comp specifically for semi-autos or where Beretta guns have to be used it stays in the cabinet. Adolf the K80 comes out to play every week, Benito the A400 is a very sad and lonely gun.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: SBL
My thoughts - they jam or fail in some way much more often than an O/U, they hurt my thumb when I load them, they make a mess, it pisses off refs when you smack them with ejected cartridges. I own one, but unless I'm at a comp specifically for semi-autos or where Beretta guns have to be uses it stays in the cabinet. Adolf the K80 comes out to play every week, Benito the A400 is a very sad and lonely gun.
Bit strong ref the A400. Maybe a touch of elitism going on because you have a K80?

To counter.

I find a semi slick to load. Way to use. Lighter and more manageable etc.

Never had a hurt thumb or anything like that.

Spent cartridges take moments to collect with a magnetic stick.

Seen many people happen to eject their OU all over the place just as much. I’d argue a semi owner would be more conscious of spent cartridges so keen to clear up. But accept as a general rule of thumb it’s not as easy as an OU.

Still wondering if there is any credence to the statement ref professional shooters. Do they really prefer a semi given the choice?

Back