why does it happen

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi all,went to my local club today for a 50 bird sporting,shot a nice 42 to take joint first place,shot another round to get a 34,what went wrong

If sporting is your game, never shoot it twice. The whole point is reading the targets and dealing with them. Not performing some thought filled photocopy..

I go to a club shoot that shoots 40 Sporting and you always have time to get two rounds in.

If there is a competition on, the first round is the one that counts.

When you shoot the second round change the order on report pairs so that you shoot what was the second bird first.

You may find that a report pair can actually be shot as a simultaneous pair for a bit of variety.

Vic.

You're shive a get checked out after the first 50 letting what happened and what might happen join you for the second round champ.

I'm not sure I entirely agree with the above responses. I reckon that being able to match or improve a score on a 2nd go round is typically what separates the best shots from the rest of us and probably worth practicing. It puts me in mind of what I think of as the difference between shooting ability and scoring ability. I know people who are better at building scores than shooting and others who are better at shooting than score building.

The best shots seem to be both.

Two ways of looking at it. Generally you cannot shoot a course more than once, for the score to count a least. Certainly at registered shoots. So I see it as a bad habit to find targets by trial and error, as a second go will teach. The whole art is to read it and do it.

Having said that, I enjoy RBSS every year, where I might shoot that 6,7,8 times or more albeit over a 12 week period. A different event..

Hi,

Please see a link to long thread about it from last year.

Cheers

http://www.shootclayforum.com/topic/570-rbss-handicap-classic-2012/

Went to buy a gun from RBSS once, long way from Shropshire, bought two coffees and two pieces of chocolate cake. Couldn't afford the gun as well, left it there.

I'm not sure I entirely agree with the above responses. I reckon that being able to match or improve a score on a 2nd go round is typically what separates the best shots from the rest of us and probably worth practicing. It puts me in mind of what I think of as the difference between shooting ability and scoring ability. I know people who are better at building scores than shooting and others who are better at shooting than score building.

The best shots seem to be both.
think i agree with this one,i always shoot two rounds where possible,nearly always get a better score,trying to build the lead picture

I guess if you are missing a good few, so learning something by doing it twice, then that's good. But I recommend that the first attempt is not used as a sighter for the second, in trial and error form. When you shoot a comp where there is no second go, you will really need to be good at reading it well for a single attempt.

This is what makes the set disciplines of Skeet and Trap etc, hard in a different way. Its the same targets each round, but most peoples scores fluctuate because of the mental approach and your expectations. If you straight your first round you feel youve got to live up to that. If you dont, you try and force an improvement.....Doh

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back