Cleaning my gun ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daz2905

Just got my licence and now got my gun but whats everyone use to clean ??? Vp90 ? All seperate stuff ? Im confused . dont know what to get ? Help please

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no correct kit that is right. Speak to your gun shop and get the stuff needed. Basically Napier spray and cleaning rod with attachments..

Well you won't go too far wrong with one of those cleaning kits which most gun shops sell as a start. After a while you will start to try various solutions,potions,oils,greases,brushes,mops etc. You will then decide which you like, I use all manner of different stuff, but your local gun shop is the best place to seek advice, there are just so many products to choose from and we all have our favourites!

Some say a bronze brush in an electric drill work's well . . .

It doesn't really matter , each person has his or her own technique , just get the basics right and the rest will follow ....
Rich

Clenzoil is good stuff - available in the shop here... 

Clenzoil is not good stuff.

It is excellent stuff, better than most, easy to use, fairly pleasant smell. Costing less than a £1 a month, you cannot clean your car, shoes or dishes cheaper.

Sadly Clenzoil is for guns, not car washes or dishwashers.

I only started to shoot towards the end of last year & bought a Bisley cleaning kit that came in its own plastic carrying case, think they are about £35.00

To start off with I would suggest you buy one of those and then watch various you tube videos on how to clean you gun..

You will end up doing things your own way and you will end up trying different products..

I would agree with the clenzoil though, very good product indeed..

If your gun is new, give it a cleaning and lube before you shoot it the first time.

A lot of gun manufacturers coat the shotgun in rust inhibitor from the factory.

Try to keep oil, grease, and cleaning solvent off the wood. 

You could start out with a good kit or create your own.

This could be a thread in itself of what products do you use to maintain your firearm. :fie:

I bought an inexpensive fishing tackle box for my cleaning items.

The main items that I use are

CLP (cleaner, lubricant, proctectant)- Clenzoil, or Breakfree.

Gun Grease- for the hinge and contact points (this is for my over and unders). 

Bronze Bore Brush- To clean the barrels.

Cotton Cleaning Patches- Cotton soaks solvent better than synthetics.

Jag- Attachment that will run the patches through the barrels.

Cleaning Rod- I use a one piece carbon fibre.

Q-tips- Useful to clean hard to reach areas.

Silicone Cloth- For just the metal areas to remove finger prints.  Do not use on the wood if you ever plan to refinish.

Wood Cleaner/Preservative- A non silicone or wax based cleaner/preservative.  Assuming you have a wood stock and forearm.

There are other items in my cleaning kit, but these are the ones consistently used.

Probably why it takes me so long to clean.

Clenzoil is not good stuff.

It is excellent stuff, better than most, easy to use, fairly pleasant smell. Costing less than a £1 a month, you cannot clean your car, shoes or dishes cheaper.

Sadly Clenzoil is for guns, not car washes or dishwashers.
Couldn't decide between the foam or the liquid so ended up not buying neither. Which one would you recommend? for my gun!

Personally I would avoid 2 or 3 part wooden cleaning rods.  Both of the those I've used have had had the brass ends come off and are really only fit for the bin.  I've now got a 2 part aluminium rod but a one piece carbon fibre one as mentioned above sounds very good!

Some of the You Tube videos talk about innumerable rodding strokes or ages and ages of rodding which to my mind is quite OTT and they need to get a life or do more shooting.  

I've not tried it but some like using their drill to to make the rodding job easier. 

Gun Grease- for the hinge and contact points (this is for my over and unders). 

Wood Cleaner/Preservative- A non silicone or wax based cleaner/preservative.  Assuming you have a wood stock and forearm.
I must admit I just used Napier Gun Oil (Aerosol one) sprayed on a cloth to clean over my stock. Now I have a nice new 692 I need to take a bit more care. So what wood cleaner would people recommend?

Also for grease - I assume the Napier and Bisley offerings are decent enough:

http://napieruk.com/acatalog/Oils__Cleaners_Etc.html#a71

http://www.bisley-uk.com/product_v3.php?i=BIOGR&c=42

I have never needed to use a drill on any gun in over 30 years, must have a good wrist action - can't think how that may have happened.................

Clenzoil Liquid is fine for me.

Aerosol may be more convenient but possibly too expensive from an economy point of view.

Latest posts

Back