ear plugs

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Active cans like Peltor Sportacs are the best overall in my opinion as a) keep your ears warm in winter B) provide protection from broken clay debris c) provide better overall sound protection d) allow you to have a conversation without shouting (if you really want to you can eavesdrop at a good distance if you whack the volume up). Only downsides are they get a little warmer in the summer (when we get one .) and can clunk your stock when mounting. If your shooting gun down the latter can be more of a problem.

I generally wear my Sportacs for social shooting (usually sporting) or if having a lesson and Emtec Noisebreakers (Passive) for comps where I don’t need to be talking to my mates. They fit well enough but block too much sound out for social shooting. Some say once in they feel like they aren’t there – I can still tell but maybe that’s just me having sensitive ears. I had some mould done from ACS for sleeping and the material they use is softer imho so if I was to get moulded again I would try them or CENS.

For foam plugs Howard Leight Laser Lite are good as very soft and supple. Invidivually wrapped and so cheap you can dispose after each shoot. I always have a few pairs in my cartridge bag in case anyone forgets their own ear protection.

The Heartech Silentear plugs for me arn't comfortable to wear!! I won't be using them but at least they are cheap enought to discard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got some solid cens made by the bloke at Kreighof there brilliant much better than the ones i made. comfy and seem as good as muffs so well pleased. Thanks for everyone's input on the matter.

i have a pair of surefire ep3 silicone plugs which have the noise breakers fitted into them. They are not custom made but are available in different sizes. They also have a plug which you can fit into the noise breaker to increase the protection. They have a plastic frame which is shaped like the inside of your ear to stop them moving about  and i find them both comfortable and effective. think i paid about £13 for them on ebay.

Ian,

I usually use the Deben slim electronic (similar to Wills I think) but have just stumbled across these - http://www.hertz-earplugs.co.uk/ which are £8 inc post. 

Thought I'd try them & mine arrived this morning so made them this aft.  They aren't hard but neither are they as soft as silicon.  They fit well (as I suppose they should being moulded to my ears - durrr - what I should have said is they are easy to get in & out) but I haven't shot with them yet.  Will let you know in a couple of days when I've had chance to try them at the SG.
Have been using cans, but would have liked a pair of cens but for the cost, and then came across this topic. So for the price of £8 thought I would give them a try, used them for the first time today and thought they were excellent really comfortable and probably quieter than my cans.

Last edited by a moderator:
You must have done a beter job than me cos mine were cack :)

There is a caveat with cans. Worn with the wrong glasses they can work badly. Mine are far less effective with my Oakleys because they prevent a 'seal' around my ears. Hidefspex have thin frames for this reason.

There is a caveat with cans. Worn with the wrong glasses they can work badly. Mine are far less effective with my Oakleys because they prevent a 'seal' around my ears. Hidefspex have thin frames for this reason.
This is the reason I went to plugs, the cans were pressing the arm of my glasses into the bone behind my ear which was painful after a while and had the same problem when I had oakleys. I have a narrow head and most glasses stick out at the side. I could probably go back to cans now I have narrow frame randolfs with the curly wire that goes round the ear   :)

This is the reason I went to plugs, the cans were pressing the arm of my glasses into the bone behind my ear which was painful after a while and had the same problem when I had oakleys. I have a narrow head and most glasses stick out at the side. I could probably go back to cans now I have narrow frame randolfs with the curly wire that goes round the ear   :)
Yes, (sorry to derail onto glasses topic) but I reckon 99% of the reason Hidef are so good is the shape. Shape of lens, shape of frame. The lens technology is a bonus, but not the best thing about them.

A quick update Ian,

Used mine a couple of times now & find them better than any other earplugs that I've used (foam or those ones with the metal end - can't remember what they're called) so will stick with them while the weather is warm.

Phil.

Sent from my Desire HD using tapatalk 2

Nice one Phil

my new ones go much further into the lug hole and work better than my diy ones however because of this they are not as comfy. I am pleased with them though the freedom of no cans is great. My diy ones are now used when i am driving either the tractor or ride on mower so came in handy anyway :)

I  worked on aircraft for 43 years and was required to have yearly hearing tests.I know just how much noise passes through the bone behind the ear because the test often included having a tuning fork placed on that boney area and the transmission of noise was very high.

Hence I wear ear muffs to spread the protection to that boney area.

Vic.

There's a very important consideration when choosing what type of ear protection to wear, you can't wear your cowboy hat with cans!!!

Latest posts

Back