essex masters

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

On the CPSA website in Booklet No 5 it says the following on page 2-1.

The maximum loads for each discipline are: Domestic Sporting and Trap 28grams (1oz), Olympic Skeet,
Olympic Trap and Double Trap, 24grams, FITASC Sporting 28grams and Helice 36grams. All
competition rules forbid the use of “Black Powder”, “Tracer” and “Reloaded” cartridges. The size of shot
in the cartridge is indicated by a number; for clay target shooting the most commonly used sizes are UK 6,
7, 7½, 8, 9 and 12; six being the largest and twelve the smallest.
​Don't think the Essex is a CPSA event.

As I said, I've not seen any rules anywhere. Just saw someone told not to use them.

I ask if it would count on my cpsa class and was told that it is not cpsa registered but run to cpsa rules, so they use cpsa classifacation and I assume referee's are ment to work to cpsa rules too? So 28gr would be the limit. And I definitely heard a ref say he shouldn't use them.

However there is nothing on either course that 28gr 8's wouldn't break. If I missed it wasn't because my cartridges were too light! ?

Essex has always been no limit on loads, not shot it this year but not aware of it changing.

Essex has always been no limit on loads, not shot it this year but not aware of it changing.
​Spot on Mr Ed this subject has been discussed many mannnyyyy times no limit on shot load but i smashed the extreme targets with 28gm Fblacks and anything else floating around in my bag. Never really thought they were extreme range either have shot longer at various comps was more to do with speed and angles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Come to think of it, I haven't actually seen anything official saying 28gr limit not applicable but have shot this comp for several years and heard of shooter X using 36g all the way round etc. in fact I've used a box of 32gr 5's the last couple of years and seen several others do so. Even Neville Jay was selling 32gr 5's and 34gr 8's this year so I'm sure there is no limit it's just not clearly advertised.

that said the bigger loads didn't help me, black course stand 12 I think, back out in the field after the embankment, the teal / crow followed by the fast distant l-r midi, I straighted it 2 of the midi with my last two 32gr the other two hit just as well with 28 7.5's

shame I shot the red course terribly but enjoyed each round and the day.
It was stand 10.  I smashed all of the L-R midis with 28g 8's........couldn't hit a barn door on the rest of the courses, though the limiting factor was me, not the cartridge...

Was a really good day yesterday.

Good company, first experience of "first class" targets...bloody long walk! :)

Managed a 79 on black and 65 on red, including my characteristic "miss random pair mid flow", several straight stands.

Used a few 28g Parcours 6.5's.

They were selling 30-odd gram Clear Pigeon there.

Oh...also bumped into Mr Phil Coley, who was shooting some bits for ClayShooting.TV, thoroughly nice chap and hopefully some good footage to follow.

?

We had just finished our round and stayed and watched the shoot off 

All came down to one clay as it usually does 

Arrived back in home 10 .30 last night totally knackered 

but a cracking shoot really enjoyed it 88 on. Red in all that wind not bad 

finished 175 

and got to shoot round with shoot clays very own Steve Keating nice to meet you mate 

Just to clarify........The Essex Masters has a NO limit rule on cartridges.........it always has been & cant see that changing !!!

But like others have already posted, there is nothing presented that a 28g clay load wont break, just need to put the shot in the right place  :cool:

Iran the pool shoot & there was NO extreme targets BUT still found 36g 4'S & 5'S on the floor.........

I'm fairly sure a lot of people just pop a few big loads away for fun rather than any real belief it'll buy them targets. A few years back I used 34g for some quartering 35 yard rabbits  :D  with no discernible difference in the score, but it made us all laugh the way they made the rabbits and the earth all round it churn up. :cool:

Now it's all finished and I have had some time to reflect - I'd definitely say this was one of the best English Sporting events I have been to. I didn't shoot brilliantly, so I'm not relaxing in the glow of a high score. 

• Terrifically well organised, timings (whilst it is a long day) were relaxed, and we managed to get a break in between rounds. Checking in was quick and efficient.
  • Targets were well set - nothing ridiculous, but enough to test everyone - a couple that I wanted to bayonet, and a couple of long range - a real mixture of every type of target. 
  • Well reffed - didn't hear any complaints, or see any issues around the whole course
  • Reliable - we were a squad of eight, and I think we saw less than a dozen no birds - maybe 20 - which is a tiny rate bearing in mind we would have seen somewhere over 1600 targets all day.  I don't think we had any interruptions for trap filling or anything. 
  • Atmosphere - smiling face and good fun all day from shooters and staff alike. 
  • Didn't try the food - as I'm still trying to diet - but did have the most excellent ice cream at the end as a reward for the long day!
We're all quick to slag off a shoot - so I want to be quick to praise a shoot... excellent stuff from John and the team. 

The sheer number of entries speaks volumes. 1700? £134,000 turnover!

Doesn't cover the pool shoots or food takings either. Good luck to them, offering a popular product at a great price.

Latest posts

Back