F1 2012

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clean up team here..

An old gent (ex racing driver) once said to me `I gave up watching Grand Prix when I could no longer see the drivers elbows`. A fantastic comment and I know what he meant. The `problem` these days is that there is little to see from the outside, because the drivers are very physically protected by the cockpit regulations. Trust me, the drivers these days are doing a lot `more` than their counterparts from the sixties. There may not be a manual gear lever and a clutch pedal, but there are about 30 settings for differential, engine map etc. to control on steering wheel buttons - in addition to driving while coping with 5g loads! (Maybe 1.5g in the 60's). Also, if you look at the lap times across the grid, F1 has never been closer. In the old days there were three good teams and a bunch of real amateurs behind. Its closer now.

It is a different era, but it sure isn't a lesser one for the drivers. It is the nature of modern racing (with its high grip levels) that the cars are driven smoothly, which looks `slow` and unexciting. If you look at footage from the 70's, the drivers were sliding around all over the place and a lap looks quicker than it does today. But it is 20% slower.. If Lewis Hamilton drove round like Jeremy Clarkson in a ball of tyre smoke, he would be six seconds a lap slower. The cars just dont reward being thrown around; its not that the drivers can't. You will get fewer crashes, because the drivers are not forced to drive the car in a slide to make it quick. And they do keep both hands on the steering wheel because while there is most definitely a gearbox, they shift gear with finger paddles, not a lever.

As for technology; well that is a balancing act between keeping the car constructors interested and reigning in excessive use of technology. I reckon that every rule written for F1 cars since 1980 has been aimed at slowing them down. Then the designers do their best work-around.

Modern drivers are intelligent athletes. Admittedly, there is a lot of political / corporate speak about, because they are being paid millions, so are contractually bound not to slate everything in public.. A shame perhaps..

I guess its a case of not comparing apples with oranges. Or pigeon shooting in 1912 and Fitasc in 2012.

CSC3

Last edited by a moderator:
Then as now the slipping & sliding brigade were always slower than the proper drivers. No one who has ever raced cars was smoother than Jim Clark (Who still has the best record of wins in percentage terms of anyone ever).

What Clarkson does is easy. We always called it powersliding because that's exactly what it is. Plenty of horsepower through the rear wheels and in 5 minutes anyone can do it.

My post above was a bit tongue in cheek. I do realise that what the drivers do today isn't easy and requires multiple amazing skills as well as physical fitness, but there's no art to it and only a very few such as Schumacher, Senna and possibly Vettel have real finesse anywhere close to the level of legends like Clark or Stewart for whom the consequences of even a tiny error could be, and often were, catastrophic.

I didn't mean to get into the comparisons game, my intent was to explain why I find F1 unexciting and the "personalities" positively numbing.

The comparisons game has been debated ad nauseum - we'll never know as they never raced against each other and they never will.

Senna vs Clark; Stewart vs Button; Schumacher vs Moss - all academic IMO

Modern F1 cars do slide but it's so minute we rarely see it, and it isn't the fastest way around a track so the engineers try their best to limit it within the rules.

FWIW I think any of the top F1 boys now, would've been top F1 boys then. Sure we can become misty-eyed about four wheel drifting at the old Nordschleife, but those days are done. A top driver is a top driver in any era.

We'll have 6 F1 world champions this season, a new record. I'd argue 5 of them are still at/near the top of their powers. Personally, I can't wait.

No more EBDs, no double-diffusers. On paper, it should be a cracker. We'll know more in just over a week.

To be fair - I agree with the lack of personalities bit.

I think they should have stopped F1 when this guy packed it in:

post-10-0-55901800-1331218725.jpg

Attachments

• jameshunt.jpg
    jameshunt.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 0
Hunt was well known for his enjoyment of wine, women, fags and song. But he was fun to have around and perfect for the 1970s. He was was exactly what the public believed racing drivers were supposed to be. The sporting equivalent to a Battle of Britain fighter pilot.

What is often overlooked is that he was a phenomenally fast F1 driver, and although he suffered from stagefright before the start, he was fearless out on the track.

Very convenient that the first race is in Aus. That means we can all watch it live at 6am, before departing for our Sunday morning shooting. Lovely..

CSC3

Yes, Hunt was a legend - I'd love to have been in his shoes. Useless fact: Kimi Raikkonnen entered a snowmobile race under the pseudonym "James Hunt" during the off-season a few years ago. He won it! Says a lot about Kimi's social life behind the scenes.

Maxum and my wife know a guy who used to be in F1 and they both think he's a dickhead. :lol: :.: :lol: :.: :lol:

Can't wait for the season to start. Maybe just maybe Williams will get back into a position of respectability, but hampered with their choice of drivers, but such is the power of sponsors money.

Would nice to see Toleman doing well this year, ( I know , I know, but most of the blokes are still the same down at Witney- Enstone)

I hope Pat Symonds made the right decision going to Marussia, hopefully the money's good enough. Pity he had to carry the can for the fat frenchman.

I'd like to see williams do well as if I got the wind in the right direction I could probably land a few pellets on their roof :lol: local team and all that but Im a big Jenson fan too. Hope hamilton breaks down every race or at least knocks Vettel off a couple of times :)

Whereas I'm a Hamilton fan... and love McLaren (Senna was the starting point of that) - but I always have a soft spot for any Lotus in the Black and Gold - that comes from my favourite Scaletrix car.

Met Paddy Lowe at a friends wedding a couple of years ago, nice bloke. Suprised me how much work goes into getting cars ready and how much goes into forward planning in development :eek:

You just can't imagine the effort and logistics that go into it. Even trimmed down from a few years back, these teams are 500 staff to put two cars on track.. The work ethic is so impressive too, organisationally and individually. Burn out city..

CSC3

If I remember correctly the wedding was in the mid season break on a saturday and he was due back at the factory 6 am on the sun morning :(

I once played pool against James Hunt and his brother for a fiver, my mate and me won, he never paid up, tight git ^_^ .

The actual racing doesnt do much for me, went to french grand prix a few years ago and the race was a bit dull. However I really like all the techie documentaries about how much goes in to getting the cars on the track and the ins and outs of the teams etc.

Maxum and my wife know a guy who used to be in F1 and they both think he's a dickhead. :lol: :.: :lol: :.: :lol:

Can't wait for the season to start. Maybe just maybe Williams will get back into a position of respectability, but hampered with their choice of drivers, but such is the power of sponsors money.

Would nice to see Toleman doing well this year, ( I know , I know, but most of the blokes are still the same down at Witney- Enstone)

I hope Pat Symonds made the right decision going to Marussia, hopefully the money's good enough. Pity he had to carry the can for the fat frenchman.

I've shot with him a few times as well :)))

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back