Sporting shoots. Where - and how did it go?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
.. Tbf the one guy he gave advice to in front of me had missed all of the first bird. Advice was you have a lot more time than you think. Not really as was going past the left pillar of the stand.

Still better than the sulky young girls who say nothing at all. There is one lad, thin build with black hair and thin beard who is usually up the top end and is always chirpy and actually has a smile on his face. 
Yes that lad is always a pleasure to bump into, I think he was on the rabbit stand which he handled very well, called the constant no birds correctly and generally kept a calm demeanour with all that was happening, he was even managing to smile and let people know their turn was coming up.  B)

The ref giving tips doesn't bother me generally but that stand yesterday was a bit of a bottle neck, what I got a fright with was one guy missed his first bird and lowered the unbroken gun and looked as though he was about to leave the stand with it, people behind did of course immediately tell him to break the gun and I had simultaneously raised my arm to prevent the gun barrels pointing the wrong way (just in case) then he realised, lowered and broke it and took his glasses off and started to clean the rain off them, all looked rather flustered and you could tell from his stance that he was a weekender, in my humble view as much as I accept we all have to start somewhere, a reg layout isn't necessarily the place for the inexperienced. 

Leadbrook Hall. Sunday.

2nd Sunday of the month with additional shoots on bank holidays. Fibre only

Good testing targets ( I should know, I barely hit any of them! ) . Friendly crowd, picturesque setting.

Cheap Bacon butties and drinks and just £25 for 100 birds.

You need a shooting partner to trap and there are no Claymates but easy to slot in with a group and everyone was helpful.

Nice shoot, will become a regular on my calendar I think!

Yes that lad is always a pleasure to bump into, I think he was on the rabbit stand which he handled very well, called the constant no birds correctly and generally kept a calm demeanour with all that was happening, he was even managing to smile and let people know their turn was coming up.  B)
Yeah that was him on the rabbit stand 12. As you say that was poorly designed but he dealt with it well. Some ref’s you don’t know the best time to hand them a card – he regularly checks if anyone is waiting and takes your card proactively. I really should find out his name and feed it back for some recognition.

He signs the scorecard as Scott.
Maybe thats just the way he signs yours. I got initials that look like SB. Did he leave his number as well? ?

Not sure.  Short female, K80 baseball cap and a long ponytail.  I was shooting with a tall bloke with a beard and brown hat.
Dont recall the K hat but can't say for sure. Was too busy chuckling at the slow rabbits falling down the hill towards the stand.

There was a group standing back laughing when I said from the stand that it had myxi.  Good job he shouted no-bird early as I was going to shoot it anyway - probably would have missed it!

He signs the scorecard as Scott.
Top marks to you!

Dear Simon,Thank you so much for your email.Funnily enough, when Scott came back and told me about the rabbit having a lot of "no birds", I thanked him for doing such a great job and apologised for any hassle he may have had.

He never complained once to me, he is a lovely man, with a very pleasant, polite, happy personality.I will pass on your positive comments Simon, this really will be appreciated.Thank you so much for taking the time to email me.Kindest regards,Michelle

Meadowcroft with Stewie Keen, dodged the rain only to be blighted by some big winds, so much so that the pool shoot was quickly changed then dropped! Avon county shot also and felt like Dave set up the course as a treat (aka tough) on a windless  sunny day, the opposite of what we experienced! Saw some very very good AA and AAA shoots get caught out so you can imagine how it beat me up ???? Stewie put in a 87 just a few off high gun when we left, all were very impressed with that score, could well hold as it looked as if  quite a few cards got lost in the wind.

off to find a cat to kick (joking) 

Four Counties and it was also pretty breezy. Started off well with two straights but then got sloppy. Misread the R-L looper as stepped straight into the stand. Thought it was a midi so didnt give it much lead. Turned out it wasnt, gave it more and hit the last one. Was very happy with a 9 on stand 9 after missing the first bird. Finished on stand 1 and didnt hit one of the 2nd close rabbit. Finished on a 77 so not terrible.

Weston wood today. I think it was a great course but seemed to be set up in the week when there was no wind, so I found it very testing. I admit I am more affected by windy days than some people as my style is measured and calm and I don't get it when stuff dodges around.. Still no excuse for missing 3 rabbits on my first stand.. enjoyed it as I went round but a horrible score, should have stayed home and cut the grass..

Throckmorton. My first proper shoot without an instructor, got a disappointing 52/100. Had a couple of 9's but also a 2. It was very windy though so I'll blame that!

Took some advice from here and just turned up and asked to join a group.Got introduced to 3 older gentleman that were very friendly and I tagged along with them and laughed at their piss taking of each other. They were only shooting 8 stands so I paired up with another nice chap and his dog for the last two.

Had great fun despite the low score and really enjoyed being let off the leash and shooting with my own licence and without an instructor.

Throckmorton. My first proper shoot without an instructor, got a disappointing 52/100. Had a couple of 9's but also a 2. It was very windy though so I'll blame that!

Took some advice from here and just turned up and asked to join a group.Got introduced to 3 older gentleman that were very friendly and I tagged along with them and laughed at their piss taking of each other. They were only shooting 8 stands so I paired up with another nice chap and his dog for the last two.

Had great fun despite the low score and really enjoyed being let off the leash and shooting with my own licence and without an instructor.

You did ok what do you expect ! ( high gun ) there will be a lot more disappointments along the way or did I miss a post saying its easy. Shoot and learn it will take time.

I used to have a rule never to shoot in 25mph wind. I have now downgraded this to 21mph which was what today was supposedly. 
i apply that rule to my skeet - no way i would have attempted 100 skeet this weekend.... not sure how i ended up on a ESP layout in those conditions........

shoot sim driven, no one keeps score or is even bothered how many get hit wind or not ?

You did ok what do you expect ! ( high gun ) there will be a lot more disappointments along the way or did I miss a post saying its easy. Shoot and learn it will take time.
Well the best I've done there is 68 under instruction so disappointing compared to that. 

I certainly don't expect high gun and I know I have a lot to learn. I'm looking forward to the journey and can't wait til next weekend. 

I used to have a rule never to shoot in 25mph wind. I have now downgraded this to 21mph which was what today was supposedly. 
If that was 21 mph today iam never going to shoot with winds over 15mph. At Northampton today two stands were a complete write off it was affecting the clays a bit but mainly affecting me in the stand as in trying to hold the gun anywhere near the line of the clay. 66 my worst score for several years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back