Sporting shoots. Where - and how did it go?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd have her loading for me,would probably turn my ear defenders off tho.

Had my first go at this year's Royal Berks handicap classic this afternoon,weather looked good so i booked in with the Chinese dentist at 2.30.only one disaster on very last high driven stand 4/10,came off line i think,shot 84+7 cpsa handicap,good course i thought,nothing silly,compact and grouse great fun.?

Had my first go at this year's Royal Berks handicap classic this afternoon,weather looked good so i booked in with the Chinese dentist at 2.30.only one disaster on very last high driven stand 4/10,came off line i think,shot 84+7 cpsa handicap,good course i thought,nothing silly,compact and grouse great fun.?
That's a final place then! Well done.

Cheers Will,bit of luck involved with handicap i think,had a bad run of scores last classification and now starting to improve again,had previously moved up into AA then came crashing back down,putting unnecessary pressure on myself!!5th year of reg shooting,taken me that long to break a lifetime of bad pigeon shooting habits.

Cheers Will,bit of luck involved with handicap i think,had a bad run of scores last classification and now starting to improve again,had previously moved up into AA then came crashing back down,putting unnecessary pressure on myself!!5th year of reg shooting,taken me that long to break a lifetime of bad pigeon shooting habits.
Oh how I wish all my bad habits were pigeon related! 

Not a competition, but Tuesday pottering round with the gang today. We will be at Purbeck, where a bunch of new stands have been built a little further away from the troublesome noise complainant. Tried these in a biting wind last week, and decided I really like them, they are managing to show to tricky birds that completely clobbered me, but definitely all hittable.

Oh how I wish all my bad habits were pigeon related! 

Not a competition, but Tuesday pottering round with the gang today. We will be at Purbeck, where a bunch of new stands have been built a little further away from the troublesome noise complainant. Tried these in a biting wind last week, and decided I really like them, they are managing to show to tricky birds that completely clobbered me, but definitely all hittable.
You doing the registered tomorrow Charles?

Not quite the right thread, but close enough.. Tomorrow is the start of the EJC evening shooting. Starts 4pm, no booking, just buy £7 tickets to hand in on STR and Skeet layouts. Entries until 7 I think, but that's cutting it fine.. Hoping to make it. Likely see some from here there.

Thursday is 50 ESP for £17

Not quite the right thread, but close enough.. Tomorrow is the start of the EJC evening shooting. Starts 4pm, no booking, just buy £7 tickets to hand in on STR and Skeet layouts. Entries until 7 I think, but that's cutting it fine.. Hoping to make it. Likely see some from here there.

Thursday is 50 ESP for £17
I've never shot churchills other than for s registered. Whats the deal with the 50 ESP - are there people trapping or just a claymate system for those shooting solo?

No, Schmokinn, I'm not.

Having wandered round this morning and simply failed to connect with virtually anything, I feel I must be coming down with something. I'm not the best shot on the block by any means, but when you're struggling to make 40% there's a problem.

Back up at the top I thought a quick couple of shots at the pattern plates might tell me something. It did, my patterns are exactly where I want them, even, and the right size for the chokes I was using. 

So I withdrew, which will doubtless give them a laugh as I am normally whingeing mightily when they cancel a competition.

Atkin Grant and Lang today for me, the last of their Paloma series of three shoots or for those who just wanted to shoot their monthly registered 100ESP.  I enjoyed it, weather was good with a bit of breeze early on and plenty of friendly faces about.  12 stands - I only missed 7 birds on the first 8 stands and then down the bottom missed first two of that battue and then took gun out of my shoulder to shoot the last two.  Last stan Simo orange going away just missed 1 out of the ten.  Last two stands which for me were stand 1 and 3 missed 4 on stand one and 2 on stand 3 - finishing on an 84.  I found the first bird on stand one extremely hard to read and missed three.  I couldn't even work out how I managed to shoot the 4th.  Perhaps someone who was there today can explain. I found waiting for it to come out of the tree area annoying.  It was on its side as well but I think I shot over the top when it started to drop?!?  Will Hewland  you may be able to explain what it was doing that it was so troublesome to me.  On the Paloma sequence again mostly edgy targets I did badly getting 10/20.  A good day out followed by a really delicious bacon bun.

I hit first one Sian that was it!  Needed straight at, quickly. I was going through it. ?
Now you say that I think perhaps the one I got was faster hit.  I think the time it took coming through that tree area then confused me when I came to shoot it.

Thursday did 2 x 50 ESP practice at Churchills. Its only over 5 stands but you can ask for a different trap or take them from a different stand so can vary it up a bit. I had forgotten they only let you shoot plastic wads on Registered shoots so had to buy some fibres as only had plastic with me. Was good to work out where I was going wrong in certain areas of the ground and most of it is shooting in front of stuff – especially that high scaffolding stand where they normal have the pink / green / yellow clays. Hopefully I can bear that in mind for next weeks registered.

This morning shot the RBSS Handicap challenge. First at 8am on my own. Started off ok and hit a 16/20 on the Compak but only 12/20 on the grouse butt and the last stand high pheasant killed my card 1/10. Just could not find the right line. Finished on 65 +14 handicap. Had another go at 9.30 with a friend and actually shot worse with a 63. Felt better on the grouse and got some of the harder birds bit still ended up on 12. High pheasants I managed 3/10. Still a nice day out in the sun.

Fancied a change today, so went to Northampton. Only been once before years ago. Lovely day for it.

The course started with decent targets, nothing too tough, but I managed to screw up a fast overhead away 3 times. About half way around, there were a few long targets with no speed which confused me, so I missed a chunk of those in front.

I thought I might retain a reasonable score with four stands to go, but stand 11 was hideous; a fast distant quartering away midi from in front, followed by a (another) slow edgey thing a long way out. 2/8 for me which really wrecked my card. Finished on 82. 

Shame it's a bit of a trek for me, but I'll go back some time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Longridge, sunny day, H&W Sporting CC and two close by selection shoots meant the ground have a big entry, trap issue meant a delay on 1 stand which meant it took two of us just over 2 hours to get round, tasty enough course, wasn't alone on finding a few a bit too tasty, had a real brain fart on my last stand otherwise pleased, like very many pleased to be out shooting on a windless day in the sun, not many scores up when I'd left so not got a clue, this old codger shot more stands well than badly so happy chappy, well for today. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back