Sporting shoots. Where - and how did it go?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had a busy week so far. 

Saturday: lesson and then Westfield for the English selection shoot. Put in a 66/100 on a testing course. That was enough for 3rd place in C.

Sunday: Longridge for a 100 sporting. Always an enjoyable visit down there and I put in a respectable 77/100. Sadly, not enough for a placing! 

Tuesday: trip down to the Essex Masters where I shot 70/100 on the black course and then 75/100 on the Red course. About 15 clays light from a placing sadly.

Wednesday: Ian Coleys Summer Series. Managed to really get in the zone and put in an 84/100 which meant a class win. Very pleased with my shooting there.

Saturday (today): Premier League at EJ Churchill. Fantastic ground and a really well run event. I managed to put in 80/100 which looked ok when I left but still waiting for the scores to come out.

Sunday (tomorrow): Grange Farm. Hoping for another score with an 8 at the start!
Sunday- Grange Farm? All the very best though Oh Doug in your very rich vein of form I'd thought you'd be with the rest of our counties finest at Gunsite? 

Wan't just me that couldn't get on that rabbit then.  I'm off to see Ed on Wednesday so I may add that to the list of things to practice.
In hindsight I think it needed rifling quite early, I was probably in front of it. 

I'm left handed and wanted to kill the first target as quickly as possible and I should have had let it come across me a little bit more in order to get on the rabbit a bit quicker.

Enjoy your day with Ed next week.

I've had three great days of shooting, all in fantastic weather. 

Started at EJ Churchill's on Thursday with their monthly registered where I shot a steady 87.  No targets that needed a huge amount of lead but a good mix of tricky angles.

Then from there a drive up to Bedford for an overnight stay before a fantastic coaching session with Ed Solomons on Friday.  

Yesterday was a return to Churchill's for the Premier League shoot where I shot another steady 85 but I was a bit disappointed in some stuff I let go.  Worse stand was the very close R-L with the edgy going away rabbit; missed 5 on there, including all the rabbits.  
Literally put the gun on each clay and pull that old trigger. 

Pilford yesterday in glorious sunshine. Pilford is a friendly little shoot - an informal 40 bird sporting which myself and my mates thoroughly enjoy.

The weather was just about perfect, and the targets all hittable. I generally do better in bright light - something to do with my contact lenses I think. But a lapse in concentration cost me one going away bird that was probably the easiest target on the layout; I'm still beating myself up over that one. That wasn't the only one I lost, and I know I must put some work in to distant crossers which have started to be a bit of a problem. But it was fun, which is what it's all about.

These small local shoots are immense fun. You get to see a lot of familiar faces, and you get a massive amount of healthy fluffy rabbits. There's no classification at stake, nor is there a vast heap of cash to fret over, it's all very relaxed. For some astonishing reason I didn't get a bacon bap yesterday. That was the only thing missing.

E J Churchills yesterday for the Premier League shoot (see other topic for details).  Horne today.  Came away with a 79.  I should be very happy with it, but making a total mess of what should have been a relatively simple sim pair (2 from 10) left me kicking myself a bit.  Why is it that even when you're performing better than you normally do it's still the ones you missed that stick in your brain?

Edited to add, bumped into Mr Hewland both days, which is always a pleasure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grange Farm for Harry and me today. Our first visit there and we found it quite tough, possibly because we're not used to shooting in open fields. All good experience though.

Well I went to Highwaymans and Eriswell today.  The weather was hot.  Highwaymans was first, I recognised four people which was strange for me.  I didn't shoot well but I always get the jitters at new grounds and I would say it was a good shoot with good presentations.  There's must have been some new scorers with people supervising them which was good to see although a new scorer mucked up my scoring but continued to talk with her supervisor through me shooting which put me off but she was new so I just swallowed it.   On to Eriswell for the Sportrap.  Was a bad experience for me, way too many no birds on each layout and some Simo pairs that were ridiculous and I shot with a AAA who struggled and someone who had shot for 8 months and couldn't sometimes get a second shot off.  Score of 97 when I left - he must have been super human and Our Billy Baughan from this end of the country got a 96 which was fantastic but I didn't think it was balanced at all.  To be fair the AAA said it's not normally all the no birds that we seemed to have and squads before had as I had an hour to wander about before I shot so I hope it was a one off.  It's not a part of the country I got to often but I go for Barrowheath and I would return to Highwaymans.

also on two layouts that are used for ABT and DTL had the microphones on sturdy posts smack bang in front of you so a hindrance for a shorty and a general annoyance for anyone.

Great day today at ribble bank with Westley, I dropped one from last week but I am really starting to get the hang of it now. I straighted 2 stands today, that was a good feeling but the rabbit still eludes me!!! Really liking the semi auto at the moment I am not sure if it is because it fits me much better than the over and understanding I've used recently but it's really improved my scores. Thanks Keith once again for a great weekend. 

After a string of bad results a 93 last week meant I was quite confident going to Hepworth today.  An 82 on the black was not too bad then in the afternoon a 65 on the red. And I used to be Mr consistent. My middle name must be In.

After a string of bad results a 93 last week meant I was quite confident going to Hepworth today.  An 82 on the black was not too bad then in the afternoon a 65 on the red. And I used to be Mr consistent. My middle name must be In.
Did you get a break?

Did you get a break?
The annoying thing for our group about the break was that after what you had said before we were prepared with packed lunches so we didn't have to mess about waiting for food.

Shot the black course and told we would have half an hour...great.

Went back to the car and replenished ourselves got back in good time.....then sat there waiting for 45 minutes!

They then sent 2 squads out at the same time just after they had sent out another so we ended up queuing behind them all the way round the Red course which was a pain and dragged it out a bit.

Owls Lodge today, 100 ESP Reg, had a lift from Cirencester with Lee Newman & Nick Portlock, rocked up at 11, it was heaving (199 entries at close) so much so we all took in a full breakfast, I usually avoid food before shooting so this was not a usual thing for me, our merry gang of 3 became 4 when joined by John Kendall, we started half way round course and hip hopped around so didn't really have any queuing of note, had the odd brain fart as per, however this ground usually tears me a new one so was really chuffed to shoot well enough to finish on 74, Lee 92, Chipper 90 and John high 80's high gun by a couple clays against a star entry was Huw Stephens 97 a fantastic score round there today. 

Well after all these years, I'm still learning. Today I learned that you must never ever ever ever get off a long haul flight and go to a clay shoot with jet lag the next morning. It was like shooting with somebody else's gun and and after a large vodka. Four Counties, I can only apologise for my hilarious display. That is all..

Well after all these years, I'm still learning. Today I learned that you must never ever ever ever get off a long haul flight and go to a clay shoot with jet lag the next morning. It was like shooting with somebody else's gun and and after a large vodka. Four Counties, I can only apologise for my hilarious display. That is all..
Funny that's just how i felt and probably performed worse...for me there is just something about that place that i seem to struggle with

Funny that's just how i felt and probably performed worse...for me there is just something about that place that i seem to struggle with
It used to be my nemesis, but it's been fine, even good for me the last year. I hear some say it was tougher today, but I honestly couldn't tell as the battle was all with myself. 

Park Lodge (yorkshire) for first county selection at out most prestigious venue, day was wet, car park was super rammed, Repeated breakdowns, 5 stands inoperable at one point left hordes of shooters wandering about looking for something that was actually working. Universally to a man grumbling abounds and rumors of refunds demanded. I treated it as a test and kept it together for 5 hours to card a 78 for 3rd in class. Many just didnt finish. Its always something at this ground and its a shame.

No registered shoots for me this weekend.  Was thinking about Horne or Southdown this morning, but reckon that they'll end up rammed, so going to stay local.

Park Lodge (yorkshire) for first county selection at out most prestigious venue, day was wet, car park was super rammed, Repeated breakdowns, 5 stands inoperable at one point left hordes of shooters wandering about looking for something that was actually working. Universally to a man grumbling abounds and rumors of refunds demanded. I treated it as a test and kept it together for 5 hours to card a 78 for 3rd in class. Many just didnt finish. Its always something at this ground and its a shame.
Read about this elsewhere,seems ridiculous at this level and being "The North's Premier shooting ground"

What do the CPSA do to ensure their registered competitions are run to a good standard.....ah yes ABSOLUTELY NOTHING but they are very good at taking money!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back