Sporting shoots. Where - and how did it go?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Read about this elsewhere,seems ridiculous at this level and being "The North's Premier shooting ground"

What do the CPSA do to ensure their registered competitions are run to a good standard.....ah yes ABSOLUTELY NOTHING but they are very good at taking money!
I do agree, but its not down to the cpsa, the short comings sit squarely with the facility this time. Unfortunately we are a bit limited in the north region for alternate venues. It is a tremendous waste as they have the best facility for miles around and the potential to excel, just cant get there act together. I also find it surprising that this happened as in the run up this year they have hosted 100 STR comps monthly, same ground, same set up duo and same equipment.

No pool shoot either.

I do agree, but its not down to the cpsa, the short comings sit squarely with the facility this time. Unfortunately we are a bit limited in the north region for alternate venues. It is a tremendous waste as they have the best facility for miles around and the potential to excel, just cant get there act together. I also find it surprising that this happened as in the run up this year they have hosted 100 STR comps monthly, same ground, same set up duo and same equipment.

No pool shoot either.
Yet the CPSA put there name to it and take the money happily..they are the organisation it is shot under so they should ensure that things are run well.

What repercussions are there for a CPSA registered ground who fails to ensure a good experience? none it appears so its just a name that does nothing for your average shooter.

Longridge for the 100ESP today, car park looked busy and after the tea and fluffy rabbits myself Stewie and Shortlegs made our merry way around, Ive developed a mental block at this ground in that If I start well Im not finishing stands well, however if I struggle to find something early one does find them in the end, managed to straight two stands one of which had a driven which I took really really early, I had until  recently been trying to take such targets as crossers which had a success rate bordering on a disaster. Did mange to lose the plot on a stand after awaiting a hour following a trap breakdown, I was 5 straight in a 8 bird stand then after the delay promptly dropped the last three.

Finished on 65, Id shot what i felt even for me was poor on a number of stands, Gareth 66 and Stewie 83

Ade Johnson & Richard Faulds 97 with a few other AAA superstars still shooting  

is it likely to go same way as Coniston re reg shoots ??
There is always grumbling after this shoot but memories are short, same faces will be there next year, including me as we are not awash with alternatives.

Showed some restraint this long weekend and only went out twice. 

Sunday was a trip to Four Counties which saw a lot of edge on clays. The course shot a bit harder than it looked and a couple stands caught me out completely. I finished on 72/100 (below average) which saw me 2nd in class. The cash was a silver lining. 

Monday meant a trip to Longridge where there was a sea of familiar faces including Rich and Stew. I joined them for a couple stands, but didn't cover myself in glory. 

Managed to finish with a fairly strong 81/100 and that was another 2nd place. 

I got completely caught out on one stand so I made sure I paid for some practice clays and went back up there after the crowds had gone to put some demons to rest. 

Good weekend all in all.

Wasn't planning on shooting today but managed to get to Court Farm. Started off poorly. Stand 2 killed first 3 pairs then blanked next 2. 4/8 on 3 and 3/7 on 4 killed my card. After that managed to pull it together and only dropped 6 over the last 7 stands to finish on a 78. That wont be troubling B class but was nice to finish strongly after such a bad start.

I always struggle on the close low crossers at Court Farm.

I always struggle on the close low crossers at Court Farm.
Surprisingly fiddly ground to hit a good score at.

Well after my jet-lag horror show at Four Counties last Sunday, I was very glad to return to a decent result today with 94 at Honesberie. An excellent shoot I thought, something of everything and plenty of longer targets. Just managed to not run into a stand that I hated. Well, there was one with a midi teal, but I managed to hit 3 out of 5. That was my worst stand. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Showed some restraint this long weekend and only went out twice. 

Sunday was a trip to Four Counties which saw a lot of edge on clays. The course shot a bit harder than it looked and a couple stands caught me out completely. I finished on 72/100 (below average) which saw me 2nd in class. The cash was a silver lining. 

Monday meant a trip to Longridge where there was a sea of familiar faces including Rich and Stew. I joined them for a couple stands, but didn't cover myself in glory. 

Managed to finish with a fairly strong 81/100 and that was another 2nd place. 

I got completely caught out on one stand so I made sure I paid for some practice clays and went back up there after the crowds had gone to put some demons to rest. 

Good weekend all in all.
Young Doug, I again repeat myself by saying "very well shot" your ripping C class to bits and the giddy heights of B await ?

Over the past few months I've gone from a half decent A class shot to someone who has never picked up a gun before ,cumulating in a fine 56 at Cambridge today. Hope its a temporary blip.

Ashley clay shoot in nr Tiverton,Devon.really liked the shoot though i didn't do it justice..think the 400 i shot on Saturday did for me.

Not the poshest place but as it is in a steep sided little valley there was some different but great target presentations that you just don't see anywhere else that i know of.

The type of targets not seen since Wylye valley.

A long drive but it was definitely worth it and Andrew who runs the shoot could not have been more helpful or friendly.

A fibre wad only shoot but again ever helpful as the person i shot with only had plastic they swapped them for fibres as it was our first time!

Its been a long time since i enjoyed shooting so much even with a crap score  :D

This weekend I went along to Carl Bloxhams for some practice on Saturday. 100 Sporting and 25 sportrap. Nothing too insane on this week but a nice mixture of technical and distance. 

On Sunday I went to Honesberie Shooting's first event of the Rizzini Summer Series and managed a sloppy 77 which should really have been higher if the focus was better! Still, second place was a bonus. Need a class win to get in to the series final shoot off though ?

Correction, 77 was enough to win it. I'm qualified for the series final :)

Longridge (1st May 100 Reg) with Stewie, Shortlegs and Sean Foley, looked a reasonable entry though we got round fairly unhindered, managed a positive start until losing my wheels on my fourth stand, mentally I fell apart and this implosion remained for the rest of the shoot, awful really as I thought it was an interesting shoot that deserved better from me. Stewie 89, Shortlegs & Sean 70+, me I'm done, I'm having an extended break from shooting until Coleys on Wednesday?

I did get one piece of gun fit advice by a knowledgable chap, and I'll try this very soon be assured.

all those out and about, I trust you all had a far more enjoyable day than I 

When I left high gun was Dorain Evans 99, fantastic score 

Ribble bank yesterday with the new gun. I'm in love!!!! I wish I took more carts with me. I shot 175 just to get a good feel and I loved every shot. I managed 30 out of 54 first time round but didn't mark any after that. I just went back to the stands I found hard and shot them over and over. I just wish I found some where open today so I could do it all over again.

Horne today.  OK with my final score of 74, considering there were some really sloppy misses on some stands.  Managed to miss the first pair then go on to hit the rest on at least three occasions.

Horne today.  OK with my final score of 74, considering there were some really sloppy misses on some stands.  Managed to miss the first pair then go on to hit the rest on at least three occasions.
Good to see you. I was the opposite, mostly hit the first pair or two, then started missing. Really felt like my head wasn't very right today, not finest hour.. fairly tricky layout I thought though. Fiddly in lots of places. 

I shot grimsthorpe  Lincolnshire sporting champs on Sunday  super mix of targets  top draw setting .    I have only ever been a average shot   but  last few years going backwards  big time , not sure why  probably a combination of things  ah well we live to fight another day !

does sim driven count ??

if so did one on Sunday. Three drives of 200, team of four, I got through 200 cartridges but suffered no ill effects. Hit more than I / we missed and had jolly good fun.

048.JPG

049.JPG

047.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back