Sporting shoots. Where - and how did it go?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to see you. I was the opposite, mostly hit the first pair or two, then started missing. Really felt like my head wasn't very right today, not finest hour.. fairly tricky layout I thought though. Fiddly in lots of places. 
Missed the first pair on the rabbit stand, then changed to take the rabbit while it was still in the air or just landed and still moving.  Same on the sim pair with the teal, lowered my hold point and hit the rest.  I suppose I should be happy for working out what I've done wrong rather than grinding my teeth over wasted points.

Lots of people didn't seem to like Stand 12, with a fair few muttering under their breath when coming away from it.

Ribble bank yesterday with the new gun. I'm in love!!!! I wish I took more carts with me. I shot 175 just to get a good feel and I loved every shot. I managed 30 out of 54 first time round but didn't mark any after that. I just went back to the stands I found hard and shot them over and over. I just wish I found some where open today so I could do it all over again.
Sam would have sold you some.

that sea breeze was something else, interesting.

Ribble bank yesterday with the new gun. I'm in love!!!! I wish I took more carts with me. I shot 175 just to get a good feel and I loved every shot. I managed 30 out of 54 first time round but didn't mark any after that. I just went back to the stands I found hard and shot them over and over. I just wish I found some where open today so I could do it all over again.
If you had asked, Catton Hall at Frodsham was open yesterday 100 bird registered Sporting. You could still have shot it though.

If you had asked, Catton Hall at Frodsham was open yesterday 100 bird registered Sporting. You could still have shot it though.
Gutted!! i will be going on the 28th (next bank holiday) if your up for it Keith? 

In a week where I've shot badly, I did the AGL masters today. I really enjoyed it, but shot a well below my average score and did feel they could have backed off a couple of the toughest stands. Slight inexperience on their part. With 14 stands, you will get attrition and don't need to punish. But enjoyable nonetheless.

In a week where I've shot badly, I did the AGL masters today. I really enjoyed it, but shot a well below my average score and did feel they could have backed off a couple of the toughest stands. Slight inexperience on their part. With 14 stands, you will get attrition and don't need to punish. But enjoyable nonetheless.
I found the grouse butt very tough 2x 10  but shot a 5 on stand 14 

Last edited by a moderator:
I found the grouse butt very tough 2x 10  but shot a 5 on stand 14 
I went up first thing and it was fairly quiet shot the whole thing in 1hr45. I thought it was a good mix of targets with no eyesight tests. Dropped first pair in the grouse butt but got the rest for an 8. Only horror stand was the driven. I had at least 10 no birds affecting both targets. Just could not get on the straight over one hitting it just once when I took it as soon as it appeared from the trees.

Finished on 98 +20 on the Sportrap. Might just be enough for top 3 in B class but they were expecting 200+ shooters today.

Good and bad day yesterday to be honest. I went to north Wales shooting school yesterday with Keith. Great days shooting on some new disaplin's I've never tried before. The high tower was fun and I even managed to hit a few. On a bad note I got home started to clean the gun and the stock has cracked on my 1 week old grade 5 mk38, so I wasn't the happiest of bunnies. Anyway a trip to malmo and a loan gun given I am back out tomorrow, hopefully I can pick back up were I left. 

Shot AGL today stands in order was doing okay until the last 3'stands.  Finished on 85/120 and Up to that point had lost 18 and then went on to lose 17 on those last three!!!   23/25 on Sportrap missing 2 of the same bird - C.  

Shot AGL yesterday morning into early afternoon, 97 on the sporting and 22 on the sportrap, missed an entire pair.

Good shoot and was only my 2nd visit to the ground.  

Came unstuck on 13 with that fast L-R dropping crosser followed by the lower quartering L-R, dropped five in there then missed three on 14.  The stand directly behind the sportrap I didn't touch the first bird which was the midi from L-R, found it hard to judge the distance in the stands with the wood barriers as you can't see the open terrain.  

Shot some of it quite well though, straighted a few stands and only one away on a couple of others.

Went up to Sporting Targets after for some lunch and a bit of a practice, really good day all round.

Weston wood today. Big entry I think.

Started ok, then dropped 9 on two stands! The first of these was the platform, shooting down at sim airborne rabbit clays.. Dropped 5 then was a bit shocked and dropped another four on next stand for no great reason. Then had a good middle, sloppy last two stands and rescued an 86 from what felt like doom at the start. Lovely sunny day, great targets. 93 leading when I left at 2pm, but I think RF was still out there and going very well as per..

Last edited by a moderator:
Bit of local practice at Mill Farm, where the second Kent and Sussex Clubman shoot will be held in a months time.  Managed to blank a stand (been a while since I've done that), but managed a 49 from 70.

Like WillH also popped over to WestonWood, it's about 1hr from front door so local and strangely only my second ever visit, the last was  Dec 2015. Usually an early starter though today other end of entry time and I rocked up at near the 2pm close, entry 193! For those that went shot it 1-2, 4-12 then back to 3 (only queue) I was on my Tod and at most stands didn't really see anyone shoot the stands which did make things a tad more difficult than I'd liked. A few gun fit changes in week to try and although one managed to drop targets on each of the first 8 stands I felt more upbeat than of usual, no inner demon tantrums either ? Did then implode dropping 20+ targets on my last 4 stands, only saving grace is the inner chimp behaved. Looked at scores and to be fair shots a lot better than I struggled so onwards.

Richard Faulds 97 high gun, outstanding as was anyone banging in a 90+ there today 

Southdown today as it was the SE Intercounties - ended on a 78/100 which was my own fault for messing up my last stand through sheer frustration, I never EVER learn.  Also realised I would have done better in one stand if I'd shot it the other way round which wasn't really the correct way but when I had a go afterwards worked a treat!  Sportrap also which wasnt easy but I was sloppy.   Highlight of the day was scoring 23/25 on the pool shoot which I did first and really enjoyed.  Enjoyable day nonetheless.

First of the Kent and Sussex Clubman League shoots at Willow Farm Shooting Ground near Tenterden this morning.  Good fun round with a group of mates.
Scores have just come out on this and I managed to get the second highest ladies score with a 58 from 70, beaten by a very good shot who got a 62.  The daft handicap system they are applying this year puts me top after the first shoot by 1 point.  Seems unfair to me.

Well that was a lovely afternoon to sneak out of work early for my first ever registered Sportrap at Owls Lodge. Weather was lovely. Shot around with Richard and it must have helped as managed a 21 on the first layout and then a 24 on the 2nd for a 45ex50 - missing just the single on my first stand with both barrels :(

Also shot with Kevan Marks who was the chap who just won the RBSS Handicap Challenge and the prize of a Browning Heritage. A nice reminder that even us lot knocking around in the lower classes can win something nice if we shoot well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back