Sporting shoots. Where - and how did it go?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry see my edit Phil
Yep.....2 PA Simpsons, one being Paul our new English Open champion who would be working hard today in the family gunshop business here in Suffolk & the other being his uncle Philip, a well titled veteran shooter & England team member of many years and another of the famous shooting family, brother of Barry & Peter.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing Will !!!  :yell:

Valley View - agree with Will there were a few that could have been a different colour - I can think of three stands where colour was an issue for me and showed in my score for those stands.  If I don't get a good look I just can't get my timing right.  I was pleased with the looper stand I dropped one.  I was also pleased with the battue and long crosser in the open bit of ground.  I enjoyed the shoot but there were quite a few no birds.  I managed 65/100.  

So he's still a great shot! 74 says a lot. I believe today ended with no improvement on the 90 that is leading. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that was a busy day. I did Four Counties and Weston. Big entries at both. (Southdown had STR and semi auto shoot and Barrow had premier league, so shooters were certainly out there today). Terrible habit of finding a stand and missing in the same place repeatedly. Must have done it on four occasions today. Shame because I shot reasonably other than that. Tired now though.. after valley view yesterday too. The sofa beckons. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Local open shoot at Willow Farm near Tenterden.  Finished on 58 from 70, enough to take the ladies prize.  Only one target caught me out, a target that was shot from under a tree that you could only see when it dropped straight down in front of you.  Managed to hit one of them.

Kent selection at Greenfields today, three decent 93's from good names leading when I left, tough place to crawl past 90 and for mere mortals only about a 95 there to be had if you were really on it. I missed 5 on one stand of wide apart and different speed/angle standard and midi Teal  :(  simmo so minor achievement to end on 88. 

I made the 3 hour (each way) trip to Barrowheath for the Premier League shoot.

Ive never been to the ground before but it was a well run shoot. Fair bit of hanging around for the first 6 stands but then flew round from 7 onwards with no waits at all. Must have chosen the wrong order to walk round! 

Nice ground with some interesting targets. I've never shot at these new 70mm targets before but had a few chances today. They seem to go like a rocket! Connected with them which is the main thing. 

Struggled on the card filler stands which hurt the overall score. I've managed to overcome my fear of the bigger targets but I'm now letting myself down by not building the scores up on smaller stuff. 

One really nice touch was Phil had left example clays in front of the stand description on every stand. I'm not sure if that's normal but it was helpful.

Lack lustre 71 for me to complete a month of low 70's. Next weekend I'm down in Cornwall so will try to get to High View for their registered on Sunday and then Longridge on the way home on Monday. 

I made the 3 hour (each way) trip to Barrowheath for the Premier League shoot.

Ive never been to the ground before but it was a well run shoot. Fair bit of hanging around for the first 6 stands but then flew round from 7 onwards with no waits at all. Must have chosen the wrong order to walk round! 

Nice ground with some interesting targets. I've never shot at these new 70mm targets before but had a few chances today. They seem to go like a rocket! Connected with them which is the main thing. 

Struggled on the card filler stands which hurt the overall score. I've managed to overcome my fear of the bigger targets but I'm now letting myself down by not building the scores up on smaller stuff. 

One really nice touch was Phil had left example clays in front of the stand description on every stand. I'm not sure if that's normal but it was helpful.

Lack lustre 71 for me to complete a month of low 70's. Next weekend I'm down in Cornwall so will try to get to High View for their registered on Sunday and then Longridge on the way home on Monday. 
Hi Doug,

Thanks for your words of support & glad you enjoyed your visit, the first few stands always seemed to be busier yesterday, maybe some new faces were the same as you & all started at the top few stands ?, but the beauty of non squadding is being able to start wherever you wish !!.

Putting the clays on each stand is something ive always done & shooters seem to like that, its not hard but assists in target identification.

The 70mm is a good tool in the target setters armoury & i have 4 of those traps to mix them up with standards & midis, etc.

Hope you had a safe trip back & good luck with the remaining Premier League shoots.

Southdown took us 3 hours to get round so could have been worse.

Straight into the first 5 stands then for some reason the next 5 we had a 2 squad wait then clear for the last 4.

Would say it was softer than last year but really enjoyable,shot 98 would have been a few more if i didn't keep forgetting you had full use of the gun on pairs.

Stand 8 was interesting a triple with a crosser in the middle that kept no birding and spinning into the waiting queue,the ref was actually thanking people for shooting it before it hit anyone,,,kept everyone awake ;) .

Shot the Sportrap after but after a long day just couldn't remember which target was which on a couple of layouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back