Sporting shoots. Where - and how did it go?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My first shoot in B Class and I didn't shine today I'm afraid.  Went to Greenfields at Sturry.  Bottom half of the course I wasn't too bad, mostly 7s and 8s.  Let myself down on the three stands up on the plateau at the top (4,5 and 6).  Finished on 66, worst Registered score of 2017 for me.  Hamster was leading on 92 when we left at about 12.30.

Did my annual visit to Ian Coleys registered today. A bit blowy but a good course I thought, with no hideous targets but only a few card fillers too. Enjoyed it and wish it was closer. I started terribly as I was very tired but woke myself up and rescued an 89. I think there will be a 96 in from one of the several talented AAA types who were there.. 

Did my annual visit to Ian Coleys registered today. A bit blowy but a good course I thought, with no hideous targets but only a few card fillers too. Enjoyed it and wish it was closer. I started terribly as I was very tired but woke myself up and rescued an 89. I think there will be a 96 in from one of the several talented AAA types who were there.. 
Went myself, 2.30 rotation, 93 I think was winning at the time, evidence of the effects of the harsh wind everywhere and the ground had to change the course layout we were told, had a steady / good / wobble / big wobble / good /  very good / wobble shoot. Our regular gang all had ?? moments and one of us has hidden all the power tools at home. In squad order Joe Hale 82, Zea 73, Stew Keen 89, Pete Houghton 80 and doddery old me 79 really chuffed as it put me 1st in C

Steve Lovatt & Dave Kempley joint high gun 94, think the entry was 90+ which is good news for the ground 

Really entertaining set of targets today at Ian Coleys. Not too much skimming along the ground which I struggle with.

Started on some of the harder stands and had a few stands of 1,2 or 3 away which soon added up. Pulled it together for the second half and finished on 82/100. My first shoot in B class and I was only 4 clays off the pace. 

Did the premier league at Sporting Targets today - would rather have wiped my arse with the £40 I paid to shoot it.  It wasn't clever targets it was sh*tty colours on sh*tty backgrounds that cost me.  Too much going on there with the ladies shooting as well and therefore didn't use part of the ground.  Quite a few targets just dancing in the wind.  Seriously thinking of cancelling Jack Pyke, I can drive 2 hrs elsewhere for a bit of fun.

Did the premier league at Sporting Targets today - would rather have wiped my arse with the £40 I paid to shoot it.  It wasn't clever targets it was sh*tty colours on sh*tty backgrounds that cost me.  Too much going on there with the ladies shooting as well and therefore didn't use part of the ground.  Quite a few targets just dancing in the wind.  Seriously thinking of cancelling Jack Pyke, I can drive 2 hrs elsewhere for a bit of fun.
I did briefly consider it might be worth three and a half hours to do the Premier League, but with the SGCB event thought it would be too much going on.  Instead three of us booked in for the SGCB event at EJC and then had a 100 bird caddied round in the afternoon.  Had a really good fun day, with the added bonus that we were caddied by Mark Marshall who was a really good sport and gave us all a few tips.

ST is such a good ground but I've shot some very odd rounds there over the years. Often tough, often not in a good way. You're lucky it was cloudy? They love showing them into the sun. The place never makes me want to make the trip..

There was far too much going on there yesterday.  

I'm so pleased I'm not the only one that didn't enjoy the round. I got plagued by no birds and jumping rabbits at the start which cost me and I let it wind me up which really cost me as it built. 

I'm so pleased I'm not the only one that didn't enjoy the round. I got plagued by no birds and jumping rabbits at the start which cost me and I let it wind me up which really cost me as it built. 
It's a shame Doug as I'm up there quite a bit with Ed for coaching and practice and the targets are much better when it's non-competition.  

They probably didn't use half the ground yesterday. 

It's a shame Doug as I'm up there quite a bit with Ed for coaching and practice and the targets are much better when it's non-competition.  

They probably didn't use half the ground yesterday. 
I remember them using the grouse butt etc last year and really enjoying it. 

Yesterday was more in my head then the grounds fault for sure :) 

Not like you to sit on the fence Sian ?

Honesberie today. I do like the ground, a great mix of stands. I would say today was a little punishing, I wasn't on top form after a late night, 82, but didn't see too many bullish faces out there either. As ever, just to back off two stands a bit wouldn't have spoiled the shoot but may have produced some happier shooters. I doubt more than 92 will appear despite the excellent shooters that go there. Phew. 

Shot the Jack Pyke last year, and vowed never to back again. Shame really as the facilities are great.

Shot Westfield and Honesberie today, both good and both challenging in the wind.  No big scores but I enjoyed what I shot at.
What score did you get at Honesberie? It was my first time shooting there and I thought it was a really fun course (apart from a few trap break downs). I went backwards round from 12 to 1 and only dropped 2 on the first 3 stands but went seriously down hill from there. I did two shoots today and despite having no hang over, shot worse than I have since getting my licence. To be honest, I'm feeling a bit down-hearted, the past two shoots at my local I've come in the top ten but I couldn't hit a barn door today. I've been using a different cartridge so I' think I'm going to blame Gamebore!

I arrived about noon at Honesberie and after a long drive down a farm track, through a yard, past a couple of barns and across a field, I was convinced I was in the wrong place. Luckily there was a guy in a tractor that assured me I was going in the right direction.

Gunsite for me today,another great balanced something for everyone shoot.can't grind out the straights at the moment,one away on most stands to finish on 86.always a happy customer at Sean's shoots.

What score did you get at Honesberie? It was my first time shooting there and I thought it was a really fun course (apart from a few trap break downs). I went backwards round from 12 to 1 and only dropped 2 on the first 3 stands but went seriously down hill from there. I did two shoots today and despite having no hang over, shot worse than I have since getting my licence. To be honest, I'm feeling a bit down-hearted, the past two shoots at my local I've come in the top ten but I couldn't hit a barn door today. I've been using a different cartridge so I' think I'm going to blame Gamebore!

I arrived about noon at Honesberie and after a long drive down a farm track, through a yard, past a couple of barns and across a field, I was convinced I was in the wrong place. Luckily there was a guy in a tractor that assured me I was going in the right direction.
A very average 74 I think.  I did not have my reading glasses with me so could be wrong.  I was a bit tired and a tad sloppy on a few having done Westfield and having been up since 4.30 am but very enjoyable.  With regard to feeling down, it's inevitable I'm sorry to say - it really can be a rollercoaster and I've been on a downward track for a little while.  Remember your local is probably a lot different and you have probably got used to it.   Don't despair, the more you get out there the more you will learn.  Where else did you go?

So a few zeros at Westfield again today. Time for some more bans.????. :D :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back