Sporting shoots. Where - and how did it go?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A very average 74 I think.  I did not have my reading glasses with me so could be wrong.  I was a bit tired and a tad sloppy on a few having done Westfield and having been up since 4.30 am but very enjoyable.  With regard to feeling down, it's inevitable I'm sorry to say - it really can be a rollercoaster and I've been on a downward track for a little while.  Remember your local is probably a lot different and you have probably got used to it.   Don't despair, the more you get out there the more you will learn.  Where else did you go?
The other shoot was Throckmorton (my local). Like I said, got in the top 10 in the past 2 shoots there and I guess I was starting to feel a bit cocky/confident. I was in a rush to finish so I could get to Honesberie so skipped the last stand as there was a queue, but was missing so many I wasn't bothered with handing in my card anyway. 

74 seems like a good score to me, the wind was making several stands very challenging. It was the same old story for me, I could hit everything at leat once, just lacking consistency. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The other shoot was Throckmorton (my local). Like I said, got in the top 10 in the past 2 shoots there and I guess I was starting to feel a bit cocky/confident. I was in a rush to finish so I could get to Honesberie so skipped the last stand as there was a queue, but was missing so many I wasn't bothered with handing in my card anyway. 

74 seems like a good score to me, the wind was making several stands very challenging. It was the same old story for me, I could hit everything at leat once, just lacking consistency. 
It was challenging in the wind.  I've not been to your local so have nothing to compare it to.  Consistency is most shooters' challenge unfortunately.

Well, Wednesday saw me get 82/100 at Ian Coleys Summer Series. 

Then, something went wrong...

Saturday at Sporting Targets 62/100! Then today I was excited to get to Honesberie as the forecast rain had held off. I, like Worcs, shot it from 12-1 and had a strong start on the first three stands then the wheels fell off slightly. 

It was a first outing with some prescription  glasses and I noticed a headache developing after an hour. This got worse and I had to fight for 68/100. Honesberie put on great targets that don't have any silly tricks but certainly require your brain to be engaged, which, alas, mine was not today :) 

@Worcs, your local grounds sound like the same as mine. I'm in Moreton. I'm guessing you're local?

I also went to gunsite. Started at 10 and got around in under 2hrs so was happy with that.  Was fairly windy but didn’t seem to be affecting too many of the clays. I started well but had a nightmare on stand 6. Could not hit that L-R battue once for a 3. And then my bogey driven bird on stand 11 – I am beaten before I step in the stand. Hit the first one missed the other 3. Dropped 1’s and 2’s elsewhere to finish on a poor 78.

Decent round of targets. My only gripe would be the stands seemed to be mostly up the top near the clubhouse/barn and on at least 2-3 there were clays overlapping stands by some way. Not sure why but the bottom half of the ground only had 3 stands used.

@Worcs, your local grounds sound like the same as mine. I'm in Moreton. I'm guessing you're local?
I'm near Evesham. There's some good clubs not too far away but not that many registered shoots. Longridge is only 30 mins away, Honesberie is an hour. Coley's is close but they seem to only do competitions in the week. 

Surprise birthday present from the wife,i have a number plate on my truck with 3 no 8s and my initials.need to start shooting better to justify a personalised cpsa number!!!?

Mickley hall for the eley grand Prix today. Super sporting format with four traps per stand. Four singles full use ,two report pairs and a simo pair from each stand.  Very very  enjoyable shoot . Superb refs. Ran very smooth , not overcrowded or rushed.. One break down but trap replaced/repaired quickly.

Had the pleasure of shooting with a young Scottish gent who shot superbly and conducted himself very well . We will be seeing more of this young man I think. 

Well done Mickley hall. We'll be back next year. 

Mickley hall for the eley grand Prix today. Super sporting format with four traps per stand. Four singles full use ,two report pairs and a simo pair from each stand.  Very very  enjoyable shoot . Superb refs. Ran very smooth , not overcrowded or rushed.. One break down but trap replaced/repaired quickly.

Had the pleasure of shooting with a young Scottish gent who shot superbly and conducted himself very well . We will be seeing more of this young man I think. 

Well done Mickley hall. We'll be back next year. 
Sounds good, going there tomorrow.

Shooting has been a bit of a grind lately . This shoot lifted some of the clouds. 

Enjoy. 

Shot the second Kent and Sussex Clubman League shoot today.  Not bad on the first four stands, then melted down on the last three.  I could blame the heat, it was down on the Pevensey Levels, not a breath of breeze and baking hot, but it was just me not focusing properly.

Thinking about Court Farm (Horne) in the morning, but it's going to be a scorcher and there is absolutely no shade at all there so I'm not sure I can face it.

Shot the second Kent and Sussex Clubman League shoot today.  Not bad on the first four stands, then melted down on the last three.  I could blame the heat, it was down on the Pevensey Levels, not a breath of breeze and baking hot, but it was just me not focusing properly.

Thinking about Court Farm (Horne) in the morning, but it's going to be a scorcher and there is absolutely no shade at all there so I'm not sure I can face it.
Thats a good point re Court Farm and also another weekend of M3 / M25 junction closed. So thats made my mind up to shoot Four Counties.

I went to Owls Lodge and a good shoot but I just couldn't take the heat.  Felt sick and can you believe I was wishing for winter ?.  Had a little lie down two thirds of the way round under the gazebo.  Got a bit of a headache now.  I did drink water but obviously not enough and I was also out at Bisley this morning for my second coaching session with John Heagren which always knackers me because I have to concentrate so I probably overdid it.  Supposed to be doing Westonwood and Four Counties tomorrow.

I also intended going to court farm, but have decided it will be too hot, even for an ex South African!  we will have beers and a Braai tomorrow rather.

it`s also complicated by twits on bikes tomorrow, as I live east of Lindfield, about 400yards from the main route!

:cool: cheers! :yell:

I went to Owls Lodge and a good shoot but I just couldn't take the heat.  Felt sick and can you believe I was wishing for winter ?.  Had a little lie down two thirds of the way round under the gazebo.  Got a bit of a headache now.  I did drink water but obviously not enough and I was also out at Bisley this morning for my second coaching session with John Heagren which always knackers me because I have to concentrate so I probably overdid it.  Supposed to be doing Westonwood and Four Counties tomorrow.
That was intensely hot at Owls today.  Really enjoyable shoot, finished on 86 which I was happy with as I've not been going well recently.  

I was there first thing and thankfully done by 11.30 as it was getting very warm. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back