Sporting shoots. Where - and how did it go?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That was intensely hot at Owls today.  Really enjoyable shoot, finished on 86 which I was happy with as I've not been going well recently.  

I was there first thing and thankfully done by 11.30 as it was getting very warm. 
I didn't do well at all and it was boiling at 1.30 when I started.

Warm or what  :D , shot a blinding 97 at Greenfields 100 birder and had to drink all the way round and took shelter under shade everywhere I could even if it meant walking fifty yards from the waiting stands  ^_^ . Maybe I should dig out the red shorts and sandals more often  :lol: :lol: . 

Nice work Hammy! I went to Four Counties and it seemed fairly quiet. I guess many doing stuff for fathers day or dont like the heat.

I started on stand 2 badly 3/8 - horrible 2nd bird edgey blaze clay out of the trees and struggled to pick it up and missed all of them. Stand 7 4/10 several no birds lost my focus. So was actually happy to plod on in the heat and miss just 5 in the last 5 stands to recover somewhat and finish on 77.

Thats a good point re Court Farm and also another weekend of M3 / M25 junction closed. So thats made my mind up to shoot Four Counties.
Sensible move avoiding Court Farm, I stopped off on the way back from Barrow Heath (which was a very enjoyable shoot) and not only was Court Farm disappointing but it took me 2 hours to get back from there to Basingstoke due to a smash on the A3 around Guildford.  

Same old targets (edge on stalling stuff and short windows of time to kill) and two stands of trailing pairs.

Sensible move avoiding Court Farm, I stopped off on the way back from Barrow Heath (which was a very enjoyable shoot) and not only was Court Farm disappointing but it took me 2 hours to get back from there to Basingstoke due to a smash on the A3 around Guildford.  

Same old targets (edge on stalling stuff and short windows of time to kill) and two stands of trailing pairs.
Local ground Willow Farm had a 100 bird competition on so I went to that instead.  Even with quite a few patches of shade to stand in I was suffering by the end.  Last two stands were in full sun, was feeling quite wobbly with the heat on the last one.  Finished on 73, which I wasn't unhappy with.

Well I was so ill yesterday from overheating I threw caution to the wind and wore shorts and drank a lot of water.  I was glad to shoot at 4Cs and Westonwood because of the shade but it was very sticky.  Enjoyed both. 83 and 83.

Just didn't shoot after originally planning to Sat and Sun. Gave in to a bit of a hangover on Saturday morning, then locked in to watching Le Mans. Today was watching my son row and my option for shooting after was scuppered when he won his heat, added a final and gave us a longer day. I could just about have screamed up to Weston for last card, but it was damned hot by the river and I couldn't face the heat and effort by then.. Watched the end of Le Mans! Shame as seemed to be some good shooting on. It's still hot!

Thanks. I think I will head there next Sunday. I shot Gunsite two weekends ago so am familiar with Seans targets.
Honesberie is a great shoot as well. Great prize fund in this summer series as well ?

Just the one shoot for me this week; Weston Wood on Sunday. I made sure I got there early doors as I didn't want to be out in the midday heat!

Had a great steady round and looked at the card before the last stand to see that if I straighted it I would beat my PB by 1. So, of course, that's all I could think about  on the last stand which meant I dropped one. Damn. 

Finished on 86/100 so still really pleased. 4th place in B class. Won with a 90 I think. 

HG Myers with 98.

Reactions: Zea
Did my first 100 yesterday and what a disaster ., Made all the more apparent shooting alongside an accomplished Gun:(

I can honestly say i felt like a begginer learning to drive and running up the pavement when you looked down to change gear .

We didn't score as that would of been a waste of a card at my level but good fun was had with my estimation of 50/100 30/100 I definitely struggle big time with fast crossers from either side and them little tinkers going away at sub light speed...

Did my first 100 yesterday and what a disaster ., Made all the more apparent shooting alongside an accomplished Gun:(

I can honestly say i felt like a begginer learning to drive and running up the pavement when you looked down to change gear .

We didn't score as that would of been a waste of a card at my level but good fun was had with my estimation of 50/100 30/100 I definitely struggle big time with fast crossers from either side and them little tinkers going away at sub light speed...
Where did you go and having an accomplished gun to shoot with will help you even if shooting with them heightens an unnecessary sense of inadequacy.  It will get better, keep going and really important to remember it is supposed to be fun.

Where did you go and having an accomplished gun to shoot with will help you even if shooting with them heightens an unnecessary sense of inadequacy.  It will get better, keep going and really important to remember it is supposed to be fun.
Sporting Targets Sian, Not your Fav ground but local to me :) He was giving me pointers but this will take loads of practise :)

Thanks for the reply....

Sporting Targets Sian, Not your Fav ground but local to me :) He was giving me pointers but this will take loads of practise :)

Thanks for the reply....
I am giving them another chance and going to the Jack Pyke - perhaps their day was just too full to give of their best on the Premier League day.

I also often feel inadequate when in the company of some of the great and good, most if not all these shots (male and female) have though put in many hours (days /weeks/ months /years /decades) and many 1000's cartridges into becoming as good as they are so do take heart in that competition targets are different beast compared to practice targets as is the mental approach required, and from one who has often fallen off the bike do persevere it's a wonderful "hobby" 

Good luck next time out 

You went out and shot your first comp, which is an achievement in itself! A huge number of shooters never put themselves outside of their comfort zone of shooting at the same club week in and week out. 

Well done for giving it a go! 

You'll be amazed at the amount you will pick up just from watching others shoot. Don't try to copy where they killed the clay, but look where they put their feet vs the kill and hold points. It will all start to help you with your game. 

Also, make sure you say hello when out and about. I've not yet met a shooter who isn't happy to chat and share opinions (the validity of which you can judge for yourself ?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back