Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a bit disappointed with Churchills on Thursday, they shouldn't really be running 2 competitions on the same day, but despite that I didn't shoot badly with 82 and that included missing 7 on the sim pair of L-R on the right of skeet, held out miles too far on the first bird and the second bird by the time I got to it was dropping and curling away.

Nice morning at Owls today, good variety of targets, and missed the worse of the weather with just one brief stop for some rain.  Fairly steady 88, missed 9 on the first 6 stands including 3 of the short windows rabbits on stand 7.
Sounds like the same sim pair that done me. 

25 minutes ago, Hamster said:Sounds like the same sim pair that done me. 
Yep, I went back and shot that stand again, held further back and got a much better connection with the first bird then the second bird was almost straight at it when it slowed up.

That stand/area is deceptive where it's so open and high up, I should have known better really with the number of times I've shot there.  

Nothing Registered within 2 hours drive, so I did the 100 bird comp at Willow Farm.  Good targets, only one that I didn't connect with at least once.  Shot OK, just a bit sloppy most of the way around for a 73.

Gunsite, no chums & went on tod, a scenario that has not worked well in past nor did so today. First howler was forgetting contact lenses & having to use out of date prescription shooting glasses. As per usual it was rammed car park and another big entry, weather perfect compared to the dreadful fri/sat in these parts. Hopped around the stands made lots of silly errors, really struggled with the trap type going aways, there was 13 such on course, dropped 8 - ouch, dropped 3 of a r-l rabbit, own fault as I usually try and shoot these quick, for some reason I held on as shot they bounced I missed, daft, shot last as per and its on card. Ive shot better than today, and Ive shot a lot worse, can't help feeling a tad annoyed with myself though, thats until next shoot.

Oh shooters still out on course but HG will be John Smith, 100 straight, the man is as a natural a shot as you will ever see.

Honesberie Premier League today for me. You wouldn’t know it was a Premier League event really. I think this concept has had it, but anyway it is a good registered shoot. I gather they had tried to tame it slightly for today, but for me it just involved some deceptive closer targets and I didn’t manage to make hay at all, missing 9 over three successive stands and 5 misses were really daft! Finished on 88.  Maybe a big HG will come in, but I would say 95/6. (This day last year I won the Premier League at West London but history repeating itself wasn’t in use today). 

I did Grange and Honesberie feeling like I might have a heart attack. I’ve had a pain around my ribs and hard to breathe deep and today it was just centred round my left boob most off putting.  Anyway Grange I did not shoot to my best 77 and then the pain was on and off around Honesberie so better.  Doing so well odd ones here and there until the rabbit (up the ramp) pair dead 2 pairs lost.  Finished on 89.  Even got the pink thing in the field but missed one of the black which was stupid.   It was hard to pick up so I just let it go and then went like a banshee through it.  It was what I would call a concentration test and for me I did well. I enjoyed both shoots.  Pain has gone now and I am hoping it stays that way.

Honesberie this morning, happy with 90 and just the one bad stand, 8 (I think) with the orange L-R battue and R-L standard off the low tower, missed 4 on there, gave the battue miles too much.

The pink, edge on thing one 10 was a silly target IMO, even I found it hard to see but managed to hit 2/3 by holding out and giving it a good chunk of lead.

Best bit though was cuddling this little beaut 

IMG_0288.JPG

Honesberie I thought got it just right. A steady start with a tough middle bit and a couple of stands to recover your dignity at the end. Well that’s how it was for me!

Went to Wedgnock Shooting Ground near Warwick which was great fun and good targets. Nice people and very good bacon and sausage sandwiches. Worth a go if you are in the area.

Shot Kingsley Moor yesterday.  15 of the targets were all dropping or fired downhill.  Very edgy at times and bloody awful to shoot to be fair.  I shot my average, but didn't enjoy the targets at all.  Good practice if dropping targets are your bogy bird, so I took that from it.  But not enjoyable at all.

73 at Willinghurst - decent course, lots of testing targets (for somebody still inexperienced like me anyway!). Only issue was the last couple stands the young chap was having issues with clays running out, simo not working etc so ended up shooting some simo pairs as single target on reports for the same bird.  

Main thing right now is that I keep picking up the left hand side of my gun with my left eye and thus seeing both O/U barrels (I'm a RH shooter - I'll be purchasing @Ben Husthwaite new eye dominance rail device very soon so hoping this will correct itself. Odd as this seems to be having more and more lately for the first time since I started shooting. 

Main thing right now is that I keep picking up the left hand side of my gun with my left eye and thus seeing both O/U barrels 
Used to happen to me all the time.  I was convinced I needed an eye dominance aid.  I used to favour the opaque tape on the left lens etc.  was so bad i could read the serial number on the barrells of my beretta.  Had a couple of sessions with Ed Solomons and he did some eye dominance exercises, peeled the tape off, threw it in the bin and we went shooting.  Then he taught me to have both eyes on the target and the issue dissapeared. 

Now I have a made to measure gun, I never see that horrible picture anymore. 

We too were at Willinghurst, my first time there and I think it was the last one until after pheasants are done.  I enjoyed it and I understand why we had to have 5:pairs on every stand  so although I really don’t like that I accept it.   I think Steve could do quite a bit with it, he has the vision but it’s going to be hard going building up a following there.  I didn’t shoot all that well starting with the two driven where I dropped 5.  The little pink right to left  where I went in front three times. Then there were other stands I did very well on so up and down.  

Shame antse7en about your stands and not really what should happen on a registered shoot.  Target presentations really shouldn’t be changed during the competition.  Causes all sorts of upset if anyone can remember the shoot at Kelmarsh 😂😂

anyway I hope we have more opportunity for Willinghurst.  

Mickley hall today for the eley grand Prix. 120 super sporting. 12 stands  with 4 traps per stand. Overall a good shoot ,lots of stuff diving for cover , which are not my particular favourite targets. Some other good stuff too including some good rangy stuff. Mrs Jasper was disappointed with the grouse stand which was low in the ground and had some low targets which she had touble seeing due to being a shorty. As I said a good shoot altogether . Decent value at £65 with good food and drinks included. 

Jasper.

Southdown first thing today, after checking the forecast last night it was due to be dry and how wrong did they get it.

Started down the far end on 12 and worked my way back up, stayed dry on 12 then it rained, rained, and rained some more.  Ended up rushing everything as the fun quickly went out of it, and wanted to get back in the dry, finished on 78

Southdown first thing today, after checking the forecast last night it was due to be dry and how wrong did they get it.

Started down the far end on 12 and worked my way back up, stayed dry on 12 then it rained, rained, and rained some more.  Ended up rushing everything as the fun quickly went out of it, and wanted to get back in the dry, finished on 78
I was planning on Southdown, but it looked a bit windy and generally yuck when I got up so didn't bother and just went to a couple of local shoots for some fun.  Looks like I called it right for a change.

I eventually got out to my first cpsa shoot at kegworth,  really enjoyed the morning. It was a totally different set up to the little club shoot I'm use to but it was fun and challenging.  Just scraped into the 60s so i have a lot of work to do! Great fun though

Jamie 

Southdown for us too.  Horrible weather rain and when that stopped the wind carried on.  Shot Sportrap first none of the squad shot well but nice to shoot with Schmokkinn.  Finished on a 74.  Stopped for breakfast then did the sporting still very windy but I shot that well finished on 85.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back