Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grange Farm and Honesberie for us.  Took a long time getting there so was happy to shoot well having driven for 2 hrs and 20 mins!    I didn’t shoot as well at Honesberie but was over tired.  Enjoyed both shoots but completely ballsed up the stand 8 ? at Honesberie missing 6, forgot which way the rabbit was coming twice 😂 and just didn’t connect with the other clay at all.  Lovely weather as well.

Honesberie for me. I heard the last shoot was rather soft. They had cured it for today! It was good. Reminded me of Westfield with some good longer targets. 87 for me. I reckon 97 will be HG but largely due to a glittering entry list.

Honesberie for me as well. Really enjoyed it but I'll confess to have actual nerves before the first stand! The excitement of shooting after a break was something I hadn't experienced before.

Stand 8 in the field really cost me, I didn't read the line of the midi properly. I ended on 78 which is 'average' but not unexpected after a break.

Everybody I saw missing that midi was in front. Needed little. I hit it twice and was so pleased when I got it well, I missed the easy report bird. 
Honesberie too.  Stand 8 the first target was poorly thought out. Stand 10 the rabbit off the bank was invisible to me. Aside from these it was OK. Nothing to write home about. 

Don't get why they want everyone to start at stand 1 . It's not the EO. It just causes loads of queuing. Skipped a couple of stands and returned later to find them no better. A good 3 hours to get round.

Followed Mr Hewland  on a couple. And vice versa.

Jasper.

Grange Farm and Honesberie for us.  Took a long time getting there so was happy to shoot well having driven for 2 hrs and 20 mins!    I didn’t shoot as well at Honesberie but was over tired.  Enjoyed both shoots but completely ballsed up the stand 8 ? at Honesberie missing 6, forgot which way the rabbit was coming twice 😂 and just didn’t connect with the other clay at all.  Lovely weather as well.
Stand 7. 

There were two rabbit stands. Stand 7 and 10?.. the one up the slope. Stand 7 with the R-L rabbit I only hit the R-L crosser once. Odd target, couldn’t suss the lead needed.

Stand 10 (maybe) had the long L-R rabbit, which I was happy to hit every time. Missed two of the battues behind. It needed 10 feet as I see it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep stand 10 had the long rabbit. Hit two. Couldn't see it. Hit all the battues. Loads of lead.

Stand 7 was the one over the little bridge.1st target was an odd target. Looked right every time. Hit 1. 

Stand 7 I have no problem with. Beaten by a good target. 

Stand 10 I have a problem with as beaten because it was invisible to me. 

Jasper.

Yep stand 10 had the long rabbit. Hit two. Couldn't see it. Hit all the battues. Loads of lead.

Stand 7 was the one over the little bridge.1st target was an odd target. Looked right every time. Hit 1. 

Stand 7 I have no problem with. Beaten by a good target. 

Stand 10 I have a problem with as beaten because it was invisible to me. 

Jasper.
That rabbit was an orange with little light on the face, so a bit dark, but with my medium level yellow lenses I saw it OK if not brilliantly.

Stand 10 was so much effort for me by that stage.  I threw my gun at the battue and only missed the first one and missed a rabbit.  I surprised myself.   The other one I seemed to throw my gun at was the one in the field as you go into the field to the left which appeared as if by magic (L to R) to me as I could not see it past the trees and it was suddenly there.  Got 2 of the 4.

Honesberie shame, as no scores shown at the shoot, nor published anywhere afterwards. Not good enough these days. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Gunsite, was on verge of not going, Bunter thoiugh was very very keen and as he was driving seemed rude to stand him up. Rocked up at 10.30 entry nr 117 😳 it went past 200!
It sure was busy. Took about 20 minutes to find a place to park as I drive a proper vehicle and not a Chelsea Tractor!

Super targets as usual from Sean. Nothing in the sun and only one vision test for us ancient ones, but I'm just not used to 4 hour marathons. Went pretty well for the first 8 stands but the concentration and focus were drifting a bit late on so 6 or 7 slipped away which I would have probably hit 3 hours earlier.

Enjoyed it though which is the whole point - at least for me it is - and as an occasional shooter I'm not disappointed with a mid 70s score.

Agreed it's very poor IMO.

I can't fathom why some shoots sit on the scores and don't upload them for days. What's stopping them? Gunsite yesterday had 220+ entries but the scores were up mid evening.
It’s 5pm on day of shoot for many good grounds like AGL and EJC. It’s just rude and uncaring to take everybody’s money and not hit “send” on the pc. Or worst case some screen shots on FB.

It’s 5pm on day of shoot for many good grounds like AGL and EJC. It’s just rude and uncaring to take everybody’s money and not hit “send” on the pc. Or worst case some screen shots on FB.
Exactly. It's hardly cutting edge stuff. For much of the latter part of my working life it was my business to know how to implement this sort of thing and the technology has been available for at least 20 years. I can understand that it might take a several hours to input all the cards on a stand by stand basis but several days is just taking the P.

Owls for 3pm start did threaten to get windy / chilly, odd breeze in end nowt horrid, stayed warm enough for polo shirt & shooting vest. Our merry band started on st5 dropped 4 😐 straighted st9 only to blank St10 a long l-r & long r-l set up badly and didnt change a thing 🤡 another wobble on St12 ☹️ One was in danger of carding a squadron or many squadrons of a wartime aircraft 🙃 Hardly made an error on last stands to end with a 7+ which was all 😊 

Merry gang all shot very well, it was a good day on the clay. 

Left before scores all in 

Owls for 3pm start did threaten to get windy / chilly, odd breeze in end nowt horrid, stayed warm enough for polo shirt & shooting vest. Our merry band started on st5 dropped 4 😐 straighted st9 only to blank St10 a long l-r & long r-l set up badly and didnt change a thing 🤡 another wobble on St12 ☹️ One was in danger of carding a squadron or many squadrons of a wartime aircraft 🙃 Hardly made an error on last stands to end with a 7+ which was all 😊 

Merry gang all shot very well, it was a good day on the clay. 

Left before scores all in 
Also Owls, continuing not to shine. A good course I thought. Dropped various silly ones. Hit my average by shooting fairly well on some harder ones. Nothing to report here. Move along..

Latest posts

Back